Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire pub famine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

uch wrote: »
    How can it be irrelevant when they are two separate enteties ?

Because the relevant part is the cost of parking in dun laoighre not who gets the actual money.

In the post your replying to the poster simply gave out about the price of parking not who was faciliting it.

What difference does it make if its two separate entities.

And your point is also incorrect in that there are three companies involved in the parking outlined by the poster, the third being dun laoighre shopping centre.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Actually uch is right regarding the parking, he originally highlighted the following
    uberalles wrote: »

Min fee 2 euro by the boat to drop someone off. 2 euro for 2 mins or 59 mins OTT. And it 7 days parking fees in some places.

This is indeed overseen by the Dun Laoghaire Harbour Company who have the most draconian parking charges (0900-2000, seven days a week). It's also incorrect as there is a long drop off/pick up are in front of the ferry terminal where don't pay to park (but are watched to avoid abuse of area).

Dun Laoghaire has many parking suppliers and there is value to be had if you know where and when the rules apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

I've never been anywhere that's so utterly dead at night. Good to hear that Gilbert & Wright is doing well - have only been in there in the evenings and never at the weekend. Closest thing to a decent pub in Dún Laoghaire.

A lot of the other local pubs could take a leaf out of their book. Good staff, decent pints, nice decor and good music. It's not difficult.

The Pier Inn (Weirs) is nice enough. Good staff and nice food. Would never consider going there at night though. Severely lacking in atmosphere. Nice selection of beers though.

Buck Henry's is not really my cup of tea. Grand for something to eat or a drink during the day.

Good thing I'm off the drink for a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

frash wrote: »
    Gilbert & Wright's does too

Really? Anytime we've been out there we always start getting kicked out around 12am meaning we have to head down to Walters if we wanna stay out later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Really? Anytime we've been out there we always start getting kicked out around 12am meaning we have to head down to Walters if we wanna stay out later.

I was kicked out around 1:30am a few Fridays ago.

Mind you we were among the last there & I did have a few too many :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

The Guards don't seem to be as strict about opening hours in Dun Laoghaire as they are in a lot of other places. Quite a few pubs serve after hours without much hassle. Walters seems to be the only pub with a 2am licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Yeah it's sad to see the decline of Dun Laoghaire alright.

Ever since the Festival of World Cultures was cancelled for overspending (how anyone can overspend on a non-revenue festival is beyond me), things have gone drastically downhill in terms of nightlife.

The Hen House is probably going to suffer now as well when Nandos opens in September, so expect another closure as it seems to be suffering now anyway.

40 Foot closing as someone mentioned is a disgrace. It's an absolutely top notch spot and only needed someone with a good brain to go in, manage and promote the place well. It seemed like a place stuck in the boom, with higher prices than needed, painfully overpriced cocktails, random quality food and little in the way of promotion. It seemed to be happy to wait for customer to come in as opposed to going and chasing them.

Yeah it's sad to see the decline of Dun Laoghaire alright.

Ever since the Festival of World Cultures was cancelled for overspending (how anyone can overspend on a non-revenue festival is beyond me), things have gone drastically downhill in terms of nightlife.

The Hen House is probably going to suffer now as well when Nandos opens in September, so expect another closure as it seems to be suffering now anyway.

40 Foot closing as someone mentioned is a disgrace. It's an absolutely top notch spot and only needed someone with a good brain to go in, manage and promote the place well. It seemed like a place stuck in the boom, with higher prices than needed, painfully overpriced cocktails, random quality food and little in the way of promotion. It seemed to be happy to wait for customer to come in as opposed to going and chasing them.

The world culture festival was one weekend, I doubt that has any affect. The over spending was on Gardai overtime.

Nandos is an over priced fast food place, I don't think it would affect the hen house, especially as they ate down the pavilion and benefit from passing traffic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

More and more security was demanded for the license. The last festival they ended up being forced to spend most of what was ear marked for the next years festival on security for that years one. Council then pulled the plug on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

reprazant wrote: »
    More and more security was demanded for the license. The last festival they ended up being forced to spend most of what was ear marked for the next years festival on security for that years one. Council then pulled the plug on it.

Not too sure I follow this :) Who was demanding security for what licenses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Has The Gastro Pub Co gone I really liked that place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Not too sure I follow this :) Who was demanding security for what licenses?

No idea, the gardai or the courts I presume. That is what I was told by someone who worked for the festival. You need a license to hold a festival/outdoor concert. As far as I know, you must apply to the courts to get said license. For example, many restrictions were placed on the gigs in the Phoenix park there recently.

The residents complained about noise and general anti-social behaviour to the gardai who demanded that the organisers curb drinking outside of licensed premises.

Each year, the garda and security presence increased dramatically. Never really noticed any increase in anti-social behaviour though. It always seemed to be in good spirits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Hootanany wrote: »
    Has The Gastro Pub Co gone I really liked that place?

Yeah there's a nando's going in there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

reprazant wrote: »
    Each year, the garda and security presence increased dramatically. Never really noticed any increase in anti-social behaviour though. It always seemed to be in good spirits.

Rather surprised - whenever I went to it the festival seemed very family orientated. I can understand the need for some additional Garda presence due to increased traffic etc. but nothing substantial. Regardless - a shame to see the initiative dropped. I presume the money is being used by the County Council for worthwhile projects like pop-up shops, redeveloping roundabouts etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I presume the money is being used by the County Council for worthwhile projects like pop-up shops, redeveloping roundabouts etc....

installing cycle lanes where they're not needed and will hardly ever get used and widening footpaths to make the place even more hostile for people with cars without providing any visible benefit to pedestrians.

coylemj wrote: »
    installing cycle lanes where they're not needed and will hardly ever get used and widening footpaths to make the place even more hostile for people with cars without providing any visible benefit to pedestrians.

Don't forget parking spaces for staff...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

ted1 wrote: »
    Don't forget parking spaces for staff...

And a creche nextdoor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

coylemj wrote: »
    installing cycle lanes where they're not needed and will hardly ever get used

Totally needed. Completely overlooked by most of the CoCo's. People moan about parking, but if there were proper infrastructures put in place for cyclists we wouldn't need to drive everywhere. DLRDCC when refurbishing the town hall a few years ago, although they did a nice job, neglected to erect ANY bicycle stands outside - which is an example of the 'car is king' mentality, common place in this cyclist-unfriendly country of ours. Same 'oversight' too was the non provision of a cyclist thoroughfare in Lwr Georges Street when they made a hames of that too.

Chinasea wrote: »
    Totally needed. Completely overlooked by most of the CoCo's. People moan about parking, but if there were proper infrastructures put in place for cyclists we wouldn't need to drive everywhere. DLRDCC when refurbishing the town hall a few years ago, although they did a nice job, neglected to erect ANY bicycle stands outside - which is an example of the 'car is king' mentality, common place in this cyclist-unfriendly country of ours. Same 'oversight' too was the non provision of a cyclist thoroughfare in Lwr Georges Street when they made a hames of that too.
    The location of the dart and bus are also.a reason, not just the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

ted1 wrote: »
    The location of the dart and bus are also.a reason, not just the car.

Yeap, public transport totally needed but as any of us know who use it, it can be in adequate and imo, if you can get from A to B safely on a bike I can only see 100% positivity in this under utilised mode of transport, in this every increasing congested world.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Yellow121

How's the Purty Kitchen doing? Pints were always decent there and although the food was a little pricey the burger was unbelievable.

Yellow121 wrote: »
    How's the Purty Kitchen doing? Pints were always decent there and although the food was a little pricey the burger was unbelievable.
    Food service was dire, and they called. 4 tiny prawns on a piece of steak a surf and turf. Totally poor standards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Yellow121

Well I only ate the burger and chips there lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Yellow121 wrote: »

I ate there a few weeks back and although prices were a bit high, I thought it was reasonable for the quality(well, comparatively anyway).

Great if you like a variety of craft and foreign ales as well.

I'd consider the Purty Kitchen to be in Monkstown to be honest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Purty is in Old Dunleary, Monkstown begins at the next link road. Its ours, we're keepin it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I think that Laoghaire's dun was more or less where the Purty Kitchen is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I used to go into Purty's for their old lunchtime meal deal, but I couldn't afford to make it a regular lunchtime haunt now. I see they recently put up a review plaque on the wall (Paolo Tullio, I think?) which is great for them but it is still fairlyquiet at lunchtime. I work in the business campus up the street and I never see anyone from work or the neighbouring offices in there. Food is tasty, but the nearest other options are a chicken roll from the Londis (or whatever it is called) or an overpriced small sandwich in the Gourmet Parlour. :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I used to go into Purty's for their old lunchtime meal deal, but I couldn't afford to make it a regular lunchtime haunt now. I see they recently put up a review plaque on the wall (Paolo Tullio, I think?) which is great for them but it is still fairlyquiet at lunchtime. I work in the business campus up the street and I never see anyone from work or the neighbouring offices in there. Food is tasty, but the nearest other options are a chicken roll from the Londis (or whatever it is called) or an overpriced small sandwich in the Gourmet Parlour. :-/

Its a real sign of the times. I work near the Peoples Park, 7 or 8 years ago all the pubs and cafes up Dun Laoghaire town would be thronged with office staff from all over eating hot lunches out every day. Places like Traders Wharf, Scotts, Weirs, the Portview, all mobbed for hot food. That market is dead now, all homemade lunches or deli sambos at a push

That said, the Purty was always pricey at that end of the market....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Given its size and location (both a major port and one of the biggest suburban centres in Dublin) Dun Laoghaire has a shockingly poor selection of good pubs/bars/night spots.

Blackrock and Dalkey seem to have a thriving pub life so why not Dun Laoghaire?:confused:

Advertisement