Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire pub famine

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

JupiterKid wrote: »

Blackrock and Dalkey seem to have a thriving pub life so why not Dun Laoghaire?:confused:

As its a sketchy and uninviting hole?

I exaggerate only slightly to make a point, when I say to people I work around here, thats their reaction to the prospect of a night out in DL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Yellow121

Larbre34 wrote: »
    As its a sketchy and uninviting hole?

I exaggerate only slightly to make a point, when I say to people I work around here, thats their reaction to the prospect of a night out in DL

I never found it bad when I was there. Has it got worse in the last few years?

Yellow121 wrote: »
    I never found it bad when I was there. Has it got worse in the last few years?

Since around when?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Yellow121

Since around when?

2006/2007.

Yellow121 wrote: »
    2006/2007.

Ah yeah it definitely has disimproved in that time unfortunately. The closure of so much retail in that period has meant reduced footfall and the kind of buzz you get around a busy place. During the day there are far too many junkies and alcos hanging around the main areas, and in the evening its a quiet and grim enough spot. The oft mentioned parking situation has put people off and there are less good standard restaurants and pubs than there used to be so it doesnt cross the mind of a hungry or thirsty punter to come to Dun Laoghaire over anywhere else.

At the same time certain businesses are doing their best to attract people but its not enough of a concerted effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If it wasn't for Penneys on the main st. and Tesco and Boots in Bloomfield, the place would be a complete ghost town. No surprise that M&S are closing their shop though how they kept it open so long selling yuppie food in Dun Laoghaire never ceased to amaze me.

On the pub situation - the Greens and the well known anti-car county manager had cars banned from the main st. several years go but the end result was that because there was no cars passing along at regular intervals, people (especially women) said they felt that the empty street was intimidating on dark nights and I'd say that had a seriously negative effect on the pubs on George's St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

coylemj wrote: »
    No surprise that M&S are closing their shop though how they kept it open so long selling yuppie food in Dun Laoghaire never ceased to amaze me.

Seriously?

reprazant wrote: »
    Seriously?

M&S announced last week that they are closing four stores in Ireland, Dun Laoghaire is one of them.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/retail-and-services/m-s-to-close-four-irish-shops-with-loss-of-180-jobs-1.1487094

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Yes, I know that. I am surprised that you seemed surprised that a shop was selling 'yuppy' food in Dun Laoghaire, a town which has quite a large middle class population and is surrounded by some of the most well off areas in Dublin.

Yes, I know that. I am surprised that you seemed surprised that a shop was selling 'yuppy' food in Dun Laoghaire

Well given that they are now closing the store, I'm no longer surprised.
    a town which has quite a large middle class population and is surrounded by some of the most well off areas in Dublin.

and where the largest clothes shops are Penneys and Shaws so clearly your middle class shoppers who live in the surrounding 'well-off' areas are away in Dundrum and other shopping centres. I know there is also a large Penneys in Dundrum but there's also a huge M&S clothes shop which DL could do with to attract higher spending shoppers.

• Advertisement

The yuppie food comment is a bit glib but reasonably fair. The Dun Laoghaire M&S did well from the commuters working in DL, but for the residential catchment they can get the same yuppie food in M&S Blackrock a short distance away with free parking. Thats enough to make the difference in a lot of Dun Laoghaire's retail situations and why it always plays second fiddle to Blackrock, Dundrum etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

The yuppie food comment is a bit glib but reasonably fair. The Dun Laoghaire M&S did well from the commuters working in DL, but for the residential catchment they can get the same yuppie food in M&S Blackrock a short distance away with free parking. Thats enough to make the difference in a lot of Dun Laoghaire's retail situations and why it always plays second fiddle to Blackrock, Dundrum etc

There isn't free parking in Blackrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

There isn't free parking in Blackrock.

There isnt free parking in dun laoghaire either!

You can park in Frascati free for an hour with nobody bothering you, they only chase all day parkers

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

You can park in Frascati free for an hour with nobody bothering you, they only chase all day parkers

Went to Frascati yesterday evening and a car was clamped right outside front door. Only wanted to nip in for a few minutes but paid and displayed just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Glenalla wrote: »
    Went to Frascati yesterday evening and a car was clamped right outside front door. Only wanted to nip in for a few minutes but paid and displayed just in case.

thats always there, I believe its staff car they just stick a clamp on to scare people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

ted1 wrote: »
    thats always there, I believe its staff car they just stick a clamp on to scare people.

lol - thought I was the only one who suspected that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

coylemj wrote: »
    . No surprise that M&S are closing their shop though how they kept it open so long selling yuppie food in Dun Laoghaire never ceased to amaze me.

On the pub situation - the Greens and the well known anti-car county manager had cars banned from the main st. several years go but the end result was that because there was no cars passing along at regular intervals, people (especially women) said they felt that the empty street was intimidating on dark nights and I'd say that had a seriously negative effect on the pubs on George's St.

OMG. Sorry, but some of us have moved on from mushy peas and tripe.

As for the other myth regarding the pedesitrianisation, honestly, please try and read up on the proven successes of pedestrianisation.

Most European cities and similar sized towns have very successful and pleasant pedestrian zones that bring so much to a town both economically and environmentally. If implemented properly, I firmly believe that pedestriansation could salvage the town.

It was the Dun Laoghaire Business Association that shortsightedly lobbied the town hall to bring back the choking traffic hurtling down the main street, claiming the pedestrianisation had caused the down turn in business :eek:, dismissing the possibility that one of Europe's largest shopping centers, namely Dundrum was built a mere 20 mins drive from the town centre, not to mention the savage impending global economic downturn.

Unfortunately, for us, for them, for you and me, the car is King in Ireland.

Advertisement