Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tus programme problems

Options
  • 01-07-2013 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi all, just looking for advice.

I wanted to post this anonymously but it wouldn't let me.

I started on the Tus programme back in November and have had nothing but problems.
    The community group I've been placed with are useless when it comes to supplying equipment, and when they do it's old used stuff from their own homes e.g paints and brushes, tools, mowers etc.There was never a work plan put in place either. My supervisor doesn't seem to care and is only worried about me turning up to honor my hours and it doesn't matter if I have no equipment to work with, I have often spent days with nothing to do and to be honest it's depressing the hell out of me.

I've been working since 14 years of age, and have a construction trade. I love to work and have never been idle a day in my life until this programme. I also wanted to know if I should be using lawnmowers and strimmers without a safety induction or safe pass, I asked my supervisor and he just laughed and said he'd find out, that was 6 weeks ago.

So basically what I'm asking is where do I go from here, I have been told that if I kick up a fuss or if the community group isn't happy with me I will be essentially " Fired " from my position and my welfare entitlements will be stopped. I can't go on like this, I feel bullied and I'm on the verge of a mental breakdown, this is pretty embarrassing to be honest I'm a grown man and I'm worried about my payments being stopped and my wife and kids suffering. After prsi deductions I get 5 euro extra a week for my troubles.

I'm constantly looking for work, but to no avail I feel trapped.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

My advice would be go back to the person who placed you with this community group and tell him what you just told us.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Roscommon John

Hi Royal, I have already. His reply was to stick with it, you'll be finished in a few months.

My supervisor only seems to care that I turn up for for work and that his end is covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bigfish94

Hello John, I know exactly how you feel!, I just finished my year with Tus only a month ago.
    I spent most of the time painting (community halls, scout halls etc). The year went very slowly. The supervisor we had was fairly laid back and let us organise the work ourselves.
    Sounds like your supervisor doesn't care, Is there another supervisor to talk to?
    To my knowledge welfare will dock you E50 if you don't do it.
    To make matters worse everybody finishing up in my group was docked between E90-E100 on their first payment when returning back to assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

.... I have been told that if I kick up a fuss or if the community group isn't happy with me I will be essentially " Fired " from my position and my welfare entitlements will be stopped. I can't go on like this, I feel bullied and I'm on the verge of a mental breakdown,

This is the basic problem with work-schemes here, where the employing organisation doesn't have to stump up any cash: there's nothing to force them to budget for the work, so they often don't budget for materials either.

What to do depends on the "smallness" of your location. Really you should blow the whistle on the - it's a mis-use of taxpayer funding and an appalling way to treat you. But doing this may have social consequences for you if it's a small town.

The community organisation do not control your welfare entitlements, and telling the truth about them should not see them cancelled. But they may be willing to lie (eg telling Welfare that you didn't turn up, when you really did).

Can you approach your TD for advice? Or a local councillor? In many ways, the idea solution would be for the community organisation to get a grant from somewhere for materials and for someone more skilled (you?) to take over as the supervisor.

Alternatively, can you totally take the p*ss back on them - eg turn up, but use the hours for your own job-hunting / networking? Just 'cos you're "at work" doesn't mean you have to be "working" when it's essentially an unpaid position.

And all that said, if you're on the verge of a breakdown, you should definitely see your GP about it. A few weeks sick leave might be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Roscommon John

This is the basic problem with work-schemes here, where the employing organisation doesn't have to stump up any cash: there's nothing to force them to budget for the work, so they often don't budget for materials either.

What to do depends on the "smallness" of your location. Really you should blow the whistle on the - it's a mis-use of taxpayer funding and an appalling way to treat you. But doing this may have social consequences for you if it's a small town.

The community organisation do not control your welfare entitlements, and telling the truth about them should not see them cancelled. But they may be willing to lie (eg telling Welfare that you didn't turn up, when you really did).

Can you approach your TD for advice? Or a local councillor? In many ways, the idea solution would be for the community organisation to get a grant from somewhere for materials and for someone more skilled (you?) to take over as the supervisor.

Alternatively, can you totally take the p*ss back on them - eg turn up, but use the hours for your own job-hunting / networking? Just 'cos you're "at work" doesn't mean you have to be "working" when it's essentially an unpaid position.

And all that said, if you're on the verge of a breakdown, you should definitely see your GP about it. A few weeks sick leave might be a good idea.

Hi Mrs OBumble,

Unfortunately there are TD's and Councillors involved in the Community group I've been placed with, so I don't think it would do much good contacting them. I spoke with another supervisor yesterday and she was shocked at my situation. She's going to try and get me under her supervision in a different group so finger crossed.

As for applying for a supervisors position, I already tried and didn't even get an interview. The applications were " Outsourced " to another company. It seems 10 years supervisory and foreman experience in construction and maintenance isn't experience enough. I was told to " Dumb " down my C.V the next time I apply. Apparently the person reviewing the C.V didn't understand the role of a construction foreman with personnel management, contracts management, training apprentices, administration and health and safety experience. :eek:

I was told afterwards , it's who you know...not what you know. They already had people for the positions, they just had to go through the motions.

Thanks for the reply, I will keep you posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

This really drives me mad, what waste of government money, you could be getting on the job training to build on the brilliant transferable skills you have but instead you are being babysitted by someone not able to organise a brewery party.

A friend did TUS for a year and loved the placement as she was able to totally change how they were organised, she asked if there was anyway they could employer her for even 10 hours per week.

This would be possible as she had started a viable income stream within the company.

She was told no unless the co. could get her on an internship or a CE scheme.

They couldnt apply for either in time, so they got another person on TUS....who calls my friend daily to find out how to do the job my friend set up.

Its a sorry state of affairs when forwarding these concerns to the minister for social protection's office would be a total waste of time.

I say turn up and apply for jobs while your there.

Get as many names and number for possible furture employment as you can.

Advertisement