Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMWService.ie - how wacky are your prices?

• 01-07-2013 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭

Came across BMW Ireland's service Booking and Pricing tool:
    http://www.bmwservice.ie

Here is their guideline for Boards.ie's favorite DERV, the E60/E61 535D:
    http://www.bmwservice.ie/contentv3/index.cfm?pageID=2&step=2&ServiceCode=FCEAK&registration=05-lh-535&theveh=BMW%20535

Prices include Labour, VAT and Parts. Which is good.
    Whats not good is the prices themselves, all the below compared to BMW's own parts pricing, not sometimes vastly cheaper Motorfactor/after market prices.

EG:
    Air Filter - EUR157.46 (its important BMW get that 46cent from you..)
    Lets see how that breaks down, here is the vast list of parts involved in such a change:

Start of List:
    1x FILTER CARTRIDGE (PN: 13717793647)
    End of List.

A recommended list price of EUR40, plus VAT = EUR50 (incidentially thats not a very good price and BMW Parts will likely beat that anyhow).

How hard to install (Ive done it several times, it takes 3minutes start to finish); its part #2 here and sits inside part #1:
    MTQyMjYxX3A=.png

From this we can surmise that they charge you EUR107(and 46cents) for opening the bonnet, unclipping 5clips, putting in a filter, closing clips, closing bonnet. :confused:

The other stuff isnt quite as bad, but not very good either:
    Fuel Filter Service: EUR119 - part is EUR40 inc VAT
    Cabin Filter: EUR130 - parts are EUR75, but clip in fairly easily
    "Vehicle Check" - EUR109.64 and all they do is check for rust and imply if you dont pay them for this every 2 years you loose your anti-corrosion warranty?
    Spring Check - EUR30 - "You and your car survived the Winter so have your car safety checked covering".. eg pay BMW to tell you what else you need to pay them for?

Stuff that seems good value:
    Front / Rear Brake Pads - EUR271 - parts cost about EUR260 from BMW.
    Brake Fluid Renewal - EUR85 - fluid isnt overly expensive at under EUR20, but its a pain to do and cant be dont properly without connection to a diag machine.
    Oil Service - EUR204 - Over 8litres of Fully Synth Oil is easily half that plus the Oil Filter diag check, screen wash, vacuum included and obviously labour. Its pretty ok IMO.

So what we can surmise is their pricing structure seems to use the most basic and easy jobs (eg pop in filter changes) to subsidize much more labour intensive jobs (eg brake pads). Thats a bit $hitty, but means you can save a ton of money by just being smart with what you ask the dealer to do..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

The air filter service for the 177bhp 320d is €87.24, yet the for the 520d (same engine) it's €157.46 :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

It was ~ 160 for an oil service for my 530i, I thought it was ok value. I went with an independent because I wanted 0w30 instead of 5w30 the dealers use.

Cabin filters, 75 for parts? I got 2 of them, active carbon for less than 33 euro online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

"We are sorry but we don't seem to have service prices for BMW 728".

Pretty much the same answer i've received from any structured price plan system in the last 5 years. Any deals/offers/pricing is all for the 1,3 & 5s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

MaxPower just died a little inside having seen the prices being quoted for a 535d....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

€85.26 Brake Fluid

Brake fluid renewal recommended every 2 years to avoid increased moisture content in the brake fluid from the atmosphere

€128.51 Air Filter

BMW Approved Air filter for a clean breathing and efficient engine. Recommended change every 3rd Oil Service

€130.65 Micro Filter

Activated Charcoal dust and pollen filter, recommended to be changed at the time of your Oil Service

€310.80 Oil Service

BMW oil filter and approved oil. 500ml Screenwash. Diagnostic check. Free safety check. Free wash and vac

€109.64 Vehicle Check

Recommended paintwork and body corrosion check to keep your paint and anti corrosion warranties in force. Due every two years

€30.00 Spring Check

You and your car survived the Winter so have your car safety checked covering: tyres, lights, brakes, fluid levels, anti-freeze concentration, suspension and wipers to make sure your BMW is in tip top shape. Includes a 30 Euro voucher towards any BMW services or accessories purchased within 3 months of the check.

€45.00 Roadside Assistance cover

1 year recovery package for roadside and home assistance with cover in Ireland and UK. Can be purchased with any BMW service and the vehicle must be less than 10 years old. T&C's apply.

Free Quality enhancement and safety recall check

Free Check from your registration number for any outstanding quality enhancements or recalls.

€18.99 Oil top-up kit

Never be stuck for the correct oil for you car again. 1lt top-up kit including fold up funnel, gloves, hand wipes in a felcro backed bag for easy storage in your boot.

E60 M5. Air filter cheaper, oil service dearer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Always pays to shop around.
    I was quoted €299 to replace my front brake pads on my E60 520D.
    The discs were also nearly due to be replaced so I trotted off to a local Indy and got brakes./discs all done for €360.
    I shudder to think how much BMW would have charged me for it.
    After the first time where I paid €299 for oil change/microfilter I quickly learned my lesson. I did get a car while it was in there but you're paying for that privilege.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

166man wrote: »
    MaxPower just died a little inside having seen the prices being quoted for a 535d....:pac:

For a dealer I dont think they are that bad tbh... higher than normal perhaps but well worth it for Olga (The car is now called Olga)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

impr0v wrote: »
    E60 M5. Air filter cheaper, oil service dearer.

Whats the brake pad replacement cost on the M5?
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Very strange pricing. Here's what I get for the E90 325i:

Air Filter 57.18
    BMW Approved Air filter for a clean breathing and efficient engine. Recommended change every 3rd Oil Service

Brake Fluid 85.26
    Brake fluid renewal recommended every 2 years to avoid increased moisture content in the brake fluid from the atmosphere

Micro Filter 69.10
    Activated Charcoal dust and pollen filter, recommended to be changed at the time of your Oil Service

Oil Service 171.55
    BMW oil filter and approved oil. 500ml Screenwash. Diagnostic check. Free safety check. Free wash and vac

Vehicle Check 87.71
    Recommended paintwork and body corrosion check to keep your paint and anti corrosion warranties in force. Due every two years

Spring Check 30.00
    You and your car survived the Winter so have your car safety checked covering: tyres, lights, brakes, fluid levels, anti-freeze concentration, suspension and wipers to make sure your BMW is in tip top shape. Includes a 30 Euro voucher towards any BMW services or accessories purchased within 3 months of the check.

Roadside Assistance cover 45.00
    1 year recovery package for roadside and home assistance with cover in Ireland and UK. Can be purchased with any BMW service and the vehicle must be less than 10 years old. T&C's apply.

How can something like a vehicle check for instance vary so much between an E60 and E90?! And your pollen filter is twice the price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

2007 E92 335i

Air Filter - 57.18 - Done myself for €20

Brake Fluid - 85.26 - Not bad considering it's not something I'd do myself and my mechanic would charge around the same

Micro Filter - 69.10 - Done myself for €25

Oil Service - 171.55 - Done myself for €100

Vehicle Check - 87.71 - Done myself/mechanic for free

Spring Check - 30.00 - As above

Roadside Assistance cover - 45.00 - Already have this through my insurance and was €50 for the year

Oil top-up kit - 18.99 - Actually a very good price for what you get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Eireann81

I got quoted €152 for a '04 320D oil service which includes: BMW oil filter and approved oil. 500ml Screenwash. Microfilter replacement and Diagnostic check. Free safety check. Free wash and vac

I had already bought an OEM oil filter (€28) and intended to do the service myself but considering the oil will cost me the guts of €100 (2 x 4 litres Castrol Edge), I wonder will they let me return the filter and get them to service it. I need a diagnostic done too because the traction control light and brake warning light sometimes come on.

I requested a call back twice but heard nothing so I emailed the local dealer asking if they would do the offer. They said that they would need a week's notice so that they could order in the "value line parts". Has anyone ever heard of "value line parts" and are they any different to OEM BMW parts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

Do Bmws use 8 l of oil??

lomb wrote: »
    Do Bmws use 8 l of oil??
    Engine specific of course! Larger CC = more oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Do Bmws use 8 l of oil??

Well your TT will take about 4.5 and its 1.8l. Most 3L engines will take alot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Do Bmws use 8 l of oil??

Not for 320d, but just about all oil you buy is in 4L quantities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 macshah

Hi,

If anyone here has any first hand experience dealing with http://servicingstop.ie ?? Are they reliable?? I am bit concerned that they have not provided any information about what garages are included in their network.
    Any information/comment will be highly appreciated.

--Mac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

Not for 320d, but just about all oil you buy is in 4L quantities

I buy Mobil 1 Esp in 5 l quantities and there is a bit left over for top ups. Ive never owned a high capacity car so not sure of the oil usage but 2 cans would kill me, I thought one was bad enough at 55 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I buy Mobil 1 Esp in 5 l quantities and there is a bit left over for top ups. Ive never owned a high capacity car so not sure of the oil usage but 2 cans would kill me, I thought one was bad enough at 55 quid.

That's not a bad price for 5L Mobil 1 esp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

E46 320d is 5.5L when you include filling a new oil filter etc. And 1L Mobil 1 is a rip off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭discodavie

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Whats the brake pad replacement cost on the M5?
    :D

Cant tell ya but oil service comes up at 310.80

And brake fluid is 85.26

Brake parts (pads) are 145 from bmw and disks are 170 each........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

My 530d takes 8.3 litres, that's a sickener everytime service time comes around!

And 1L Mobil 1 is a rip off.

1Litre of any oil is a rip off, but Castrol in unjustifiably more expensive in its 4litre guise.

Advertisement