Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letterkenny maternity (induction)

Options
  • 01-07-2013 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have to go in to Letterkenny maternity ward tomorrow afternoon, and stay the night to be induced wednesday morning at 7 am.

I was just wondering if anybody knew if my boyfriend can stay tomorrow night there with me, or do they not allow it?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭MichB2012

Not too sure on the individual hospital's policy but generally husbands/boyfriends/birthing partners are only allowed stay outside of visiting hours if you are in active labour. So he can stay with you tomorrow eve until visiting hours are over and then come back the next morn when visiting time starts

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mola1

They may let him in though when your induction has begun? Keep us posted, I will most likely be having the same next week but hoping to avoid it so would like to know what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Jennii.

Awesome thanks :) yeah I'll let u know everything as soon as I'm home again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭MichB2012

Best of luck :) x

Thanks, good luck with it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Any time I was in the night before, for observation both times, my partner was sent home until I was officially in active labour. The last time he made it to the hospital just as I had started pushing, but I did manage to go from 3cm to 10cm pretty quickly. It's a good thing I actually remembered to ring him...

Yeah they let him stay after I was induced because I went straight into labour. baby was born at 3am 4th July, and when I got to postnatal at 5, he was sent home, which was ridiculous cause he had no way home, and ended up stuck at the hospital till 8 and wasn't allowed back in to me till 2:30. I was very upset with that, as had an extremely difficult delivery and baby was distressed. they make the fella's follow visiting hours (2:30-4, 6-8) which was my only major problem, he missed out on bits and he himself was very upset too. It's a shame they don't teach the men too, as my man wants to do everything and now I have to teach him, I know he wanted to feel more involved.

However nurses and doctors were very nice and I must say very helpful. I had no problems and as soon as you need them, they're there :)

Its abit unfair they sent him on his way at that time! Hope you and your baby are keeping well!
    Do u mind me asking how they induce? Pessary/gel or break waters and drip? Agh im so nervous now but can't wait to have it over me.

Yeah it was a little unfair, but at the same time I do understand as well. It's kind of cramped in there too, so I was delighted to get home, I feel much more comfortable with her at home :)

They induced me using the gel. They give you an internal examination, where they push 2 fingers up to your cervix, feel around, see if you're dilated or effaced. That hurts a small bit (hurts worse during labour, for me anyway). Then they have a small shooter injection like thing that they push in as well to put the gel around the cervix. you need to stay put for an hour to allow it to absorb, so make sure to use toilet beforehand! :) Then they leave you for 6 hours, you should feel a little pain, but some people don't straight away. After the 6 hours, they check you again, see if any change in cervix, and either gel you again, or leave it a bit if there's pain or any change. This gel usually gets stuff going (I was very quick, but I started straight from first gel, had 2nd about 8 hours later due to pain), but sometimes it takes 4 times or 5, so they say not to expect anything straight away. After that, they wait till the labour starts and pains are regular and frequent, then they break the waters. mine had already broken during day but i never noticed :/

Sometimes,they say the pain doesn't start after waters break, in that case they will attach a drip. I had a drip of compound sodium lactate, as baby was distressed and needed hydration, but my labour was a disaster.

They do explain everything very well to you so don't be worried. They are very good and clear and extremely understanding and nice. Before going up though, practice breathing loads, as it does help a little to have the focus. I won't lie, labour is extremely painful and hard going, but they do try to help as much as they can.

Best of luck and I hope I have helped a little :) You won't even think about the pain once your perfect little human is in your arms :)

Thanks so much for that. It helps to know what to expect before I go in, I really hope it doesn't take forever for me, it's the only thing I'm worried about really!

• Advertisement

i didn't think it'd work as quick as it did, but I'm glad :) The best thing is once you go in, you KNOW you're not leaving without a baby :) it really helps knowing what to expect, there's not much really online about it haha, I googled like crazy!

Advertisement