Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bins in Blackrock

Options
  • 01-07-2013 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just looking for any red flags here. I'm currently with Panda and finding them quite expensive to use. With 3 young kids, we generate a fair bit of waste, and some seriously heavy nappies to contend with. I'm pretty sure the weight based system is not for us so I'm looking at ozo.ie or oxigen.ie at the moment. While I probably would miss the weekly service of Panda, with both of the above only doing fortnightly lifts, I have spent what appears to be over a years sub to one of these companies in the last few months with Panda.

So this is more to see if I'm missing anything else with these companies or if anyone else has forgone weight based pick ups and has any advice?

Cheers,
    Red

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Well that sucks, looking at the fine print and none of these companies appear to pick up in Blackrock. Stuck with Panda. Dammit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I'm with Panda in Blackrock, but I could have sworn the neighbours are with Ozo. Does anyone have a list of the companies that do collections in Blackrock (or presumably Dun Laoghaire Rathdown in general)?

z

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Greenstar and panda in killiney, no competition paying about three times what my folks In Terenure are paying. Put the bin out once a month and it costs about 50 euro for the lift

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Last year I paid just under €180 to Panda for brown & black bin. This includes annual charge, lift charges & weight charges. Black bin goes out every 6-8 weeks, brown bin similar, although a little more often in Summer. Green is free - thankfully something is still free in this world. This is for 2 teenagers & 2 adults. It doesn't seem particularly high to me.

What are others paying per year?

z

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I just paid 225 for the last 2 months. :(

Nappies and food are definitely our biggest issue. The kids could refuse to eat something they ate the day before and we've got a bag full of food :(

I would prefer a set rate just so I'm not paying ridiculous sums like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

RedXIV wrote: »
    I just paid 225 for the last 2 months. :(

Nappies and food are definitely our biggest issue. The kids could refuse to eat something they ate the day before and we've got a bag full of food :(

I would prefer a set rate just so I'm not paying ridiculous sums like this

€225 for two months??? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭realgirl

If you have a garden a compost bin might be a good idea, you need to put it over bare earth so the worms can find their way in. You can put all raw fruit and vegetable waste, tea bags, coffee grinds, garden waste and more into it. Nature will then take care of it for free. Just never put meat or dairy waste in as this will attract rats.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭josip

RedXIV wrote: »

Blend it and flush it instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 guitarchord

Expensive upfront, but one option is to install an Insinkerator to deal with wasted food if that's a key main concern.

Advertisement