Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cartridge recommendations for a short barrell side by side

Options
  • 01-07-2013 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭

here is one for side by side shooters, I have recently purchased a AYA 25, as the name suggests it's a 25" barrelled side by side made by AYA..:rolleyes: 2 3/4 chambers choked full and 3/4.

its going to be my main country gun leaving the beretta 391 for vermin and ducks.

Anyway to cut to the chase, I normally shoot 32 gram 6's and when I put a few through it, well "Lively" would be a word to describe the reaction.

I need to tame it a bit, which leads me to think a couple of boxes of 30g or even 28 g loads will be in the offing.

Any advise from side by side shooters particularly around the 28g/30g loads as to performance etc on rough shooting, pheasants, woodcock etc would be much appreciated. Will 28grm 5 or 6 be enough?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

Maybe enough for woodcock but if i was you id use 32 gram 6 and 7
    Light 30 gram loads are ok over pointers imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Anything you put through a Side by side is going to be lively compared to a berretta 391, they kick like a mule and bark like a dog.

Welcome to the world of SXS shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I agree with last comment, tried a SxS on clays with 28g 71/2 and it was certainly 'lively' compared to the trap and sporting guns that where on the field that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I have an AYA 25, great little gun. I do all my game shooting with it. I replaced the original wooden butt plate with a kickeez recoil pad and also shortened the stock slightly, then its just a matter of getting used to it. I use 32g 6's for pheasant but also 36g 5's for duck, no problems with recoil. But I wouldn't shoot a 100 clays with it in an afternoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Cavan duck buster

I agree with last comment, tried a SxS on clays with 28g 71/2 and it was certainly 'lively' compared to the trap and sporting guns that where on the field that day.

That would be mainly due to the weight difference in the guns ie. your standard trap/sporting guns will be heavier to help reduce the recoil and the sxs (if it is light) dose not have as much weight behind it with the shorter barrels so this causes more recoil to travel throug the stock and then you sholder. But also you can still always put a recoil pad on the sxs :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Thanks for the replies. I Shot a few clays last night (It is a lovely gun to shoot with ) and muzzel flip was well reduced using 28g not noticeable at all, even the 30g was workable but the 32g are out for me.

I rang a guy who uses 28g 65 mm shells for all his driven shooting and walked up he reckons less is best in this case and recommended Hull and eley cartridges over the ranges most birds are flushed considering the degree of choke

Its not so much the recoil but the flip.

Thanks for the answers..

Advertisement