Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seattle / Vancouver / Portland

Options
  • 01-07-2013 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some tips please. Doing a road-trip in August and looking for some 'must do' places to see & do. Any tips for restaurants and bars appreciated too.

Going to start in Seattle for a couple of nights. Then head to Vancouver before heading to Portland.

Going to take in Crater Lake en route back to San Francisco (to fly home).

Any pointers for things to do in each city, or anything worth taking a diversion for along the way would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jonny_D

For Seattle..
    Fado is good at night.
    Also if you're down near Pike Place market, check out Kells.

If you're into rock music, do the EMP.
    Similarly if you like sports, try and take in a Mariners/Sounders/Seahawks game (first Seahawks home preseason game is August 17th vs Denver).
    Museum of flight.

On your way north, you could check out the Orcas Islands, but the ferrys will be pretty busy in August.
    Maybe a whale watching tour if you're into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

There's some cool ways to get from Seattle to Vancouver.

You can take Float planes which are really poplar and quick. Obviously spectacular views.

Also you can take a fast ferry to Victoria BC which is the state capital, and then take another ferry to Van.

You can also stop off in the San Juan Islands. Which are in Puget sound. Very Pretty.

There's also a Train.

Last choice would be to drive. Remember there may be charges/restrictions on taking a hire car out of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Jonny_D wrote: »
    For Seattle..
    Fado is good at night.
    Also if you're down near Pike Place market, check out Kells.

Except wouldnt the last thing irish tourists want to do is go to an irish pub?

Good choices though..

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Script

Seattle:
    Restaurants
    Fadó is good both during the day for food and night for the craic. Lamb dip and Fadó burger are top of the menu for me. Wednesday is trivia night and Friday is usually 80's/Ladies/themed. Highly recommend this bar. I know it's Irish but I loved the place. I wouldn;t recommend the Shepherd's pie, it isnt filling.
    Mae Phim on 2nd and Pike, Thai restaurant, dishes are like $8 and sooooo good. Really filling.
    If you're staying in a hostel of have access to cooking facilities, get some fish in Pike place, it's well worth it! The market itself is something nice to see, the first Starbucks store is in there too. You have to get a coffee in there!!

places to see
    - Golden Gate Gardens, just a really nice park
    - EMP museum - it's a really cool place
    - I didnt do this, but I heard the Underground tour of Seattle is meant to be good
    Seattle needle - now I know it's the needle, but if you want to save a few bucks, go to the Columbia center observatory on 5th ave. You can go to the top for half the price (like $12.50 versus $22) Both give a view of the city.
    - Jimmy Hendrix statue is kinda cool, just for a touristy photo. It's in Capitol Hill on Pine and 9th if memory is right!
    - The Paramount for a concert is a really nice venue. One of the best concerts I was ever at was there!
    - Bainbridge island is a nice day out. Plus there's a really nice restuarant on it, dont know the name but it has a huge outdoor eating area looking out on the water. Its not a huge island, so Im sure you'll find it!
    - The gum wall in downton is pretty cool. Nothing spectacular but it's right in downtown so you won;t be going out of your way to get to it!

Going out
    Capitol Hill - this is THE going out area in Seattle. Atmosphere has nothing on Dublin, but still worth seeing. There's buses from Downtown to and from.
    Personally, I liked Zig Zag café in downtown for a drink. Bit pricey but worth staying for one.
    The Alibi Lounge is in Pike place market - indie kind of lounge. Good night out.
    Belltown. This is another area in downtown and is kind of the 'up and coming' place. Really good vibe around there. PLUS, there is top pot doughnuts around there, SOOOO GOOD.

I wouldn't waste time going to the Troll. It's nothing exciting.
    I also wouldn't go to the San Juan islands, it isn't worth the $250. Unless you get it for way cheaper. or if you are a whale watching fanatic, then it's a good time.

Of all the things to do in Seattle, Pho is definitely a must. It's a Vietnamese soup dish for about $6 and is so tasty. There is a really nice place in Aurora.

I only went to Vancouver once and made it to all the Irish bars, they're good craic but I don't know anything else about the place!
    Portland is supposed to be like a laid back Seattle!

I hope that helps a bit! If you have accomodation booked then great. If not, I highly recommend the green tortoise hostel on 1st ave or the High Five hotel on 5th (it's in Belltown) and is a super nice place to stay!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I just took the train from Seattle to Vancouver last week, it was really nice and only cost about $40 one way.

I would recommend checking out the Capilano Suspension bridge in Vancouver, its outside the city, but they have free shuttles to take you there. You can spend a good half a day checking it out and maybe venture to Grouse Mountain while there.

Also, take a walk through Gastown and Granville Island in Vancouver if you get a chance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement