Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rookie's diary part two

Options
  • 01-07-2013 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭

In 2003/2004 Triathlon Ireland was looking for a few newbies to the sport to keep a diary of their first season in the sport. I volunteered and kept a log of that rollercoaster year - a journey from largely sedentary and overweight to active triathlete. I find myself now in roughly the same starting position as a result of a long existing but undiagnosed medical condition - I've done pretty much feck all in three years and I've done nothing in two months. Its getting under control so I can hopefully return to some proper training and racing. I find keeping a log of training useful and I've never done anything else so here goes....... Rookie's Diary part two!

I've no grandiose goals, no mad targets, no nothing. I just want to get better and get back training - and the lifestyle and general quality of life that goes with it.

Only one race on the calendar this year I think, enough time to get well enough and do enough training to finish - Blacksod olympic distance. As long as my finish time starts with a 2 and not a 3 I will be happy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭c07

Well done you getting back in the saddle. And massive big ups on your first race back to be an Olympic distance. Wow!
    Best of luck with the training :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Monday 1st July 2013
    Weight: 13st 3.8
    RHR: 66
    HRV: 75

Entered my first, and probably only, race this year. My first olympic distance in probably five years - Blacksod. Myself and two friends @LCD and @jackyback are heading over to it.

Run
    First day back in work after two weeks off. Meant to be moving offices but that was pushed out a week so got to do a 30 minute waddle along the sea front, love running around Clontarf. Future running routes (IFSC) won't be as pleasant.

Run hurt as only a run you do when you are grossly unfit and a few stone over weight can.
    6.4km, 4:56 per km, 156bpm avg

http://app.strava.com/activities/64017334

Swim
    I did this session last week, first swim in months. It was horrific - not the set, I love Rich's sets but the way I was in the water. 100s coming in 2:05-2:10 I felt like getting out and going hom after a few hundred meters last Thursdau but I reminded myself that the only way to improve is to persevere. So I did. Did the same set today and it was much better, still dog slow 1:50 - 1:55, which one 1:48. More importantly I had more of a feel for the water and most important of all is I enjoyed the whole session. Progress will take time.

2000m in 45 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

tunney wrote: »
    Monday 1st July 2013

Run hurt as only a run you do when you are grossly unfit and a few stone over weight can.
    6.4km, 4:56 per km, 156bpm avg

I hear ya. Feels like you have never run before

Tuesday 2nd July 2013

Run
    A bad night, was up until 4am with "digestive issues" (i.e. on the bog). Woke late for work as everyone had slept in. Debated not running today. "HTFU princess" came a voice in my head. Went out. If I thought yesterdays run was Hell this was Hell where all they played was Westlife music and only ate cucumbers. Wanted to walk at 20 minutes. Didn't, small victory. Needed a sit down afterwards, going to be a long long run back.

6.1km in 30 minutes, AHR 160bpm
    http://app.strava.com/activities/64230115

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Wish you all the best Dave and I hope the health issue is manageable and improves soon. First step though is a diagnosis and at least you have that now! I might be seeing ye in Blacksod myself yet, as tough as HoTW IMO.

• Advertisement

I've got a few emails and the like saying "slow down, you're running to hard, take it easy" etc etc

Just to clarify for the next bit while I am recording sessions I am not concerned with HR, power or pace. I'm just running, riding and swimming - ignoring all metrics. Given how horrifically unfit I am metrics are pointless. In a few weeks I'll think about HR and then a good long bit after that I'll think about pace and power.

Wednesday 3rd July 2013

Debated doing an extra run at lunch. Rule is that extra sessions, done easy, are allowed at any time as long as they do not interfere with the scheduled sessions. Swallowed my pride and accepted that three consecutive days running was beyond my present level of fitness and my weight. Got my hair cut instead

Turbo

Its been a long while since I sat on this. It meant an extra set up effort to get software and hardware working and then off I went with a session where the main set was a descending duration, increasing intensity set. Warm as fvck in the shed and I sweated buckets. So so so far back on biking, it may as well be year one. What I could hold for four minutes I used to be able to hour for four hours. In the bag though and onwards we go.

http://tpks.ws/gtka

Thursday 4th July 2013

Run

*SOB* *SOB* My last run along the sea front in Clontarf. Tomorrow we move to the IFSC (economic necessity to bed in with a sister company for a bit). Love running around here. Great showering/changing facilities too. City centre running and changing in a bog doesn't really do it for me. Bring on the baby wipes.

Anyways 45 minutes easy with a few pick ups. Tight legs and a pig of a wind made this an uncomfortable slow run.

Turbo

Big gear work. Love this. 5x minutes of bliss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

There's a nice route from the IFSC, down the quays towards the O2, cross the east link and out over to Irishtown park. It's a much nicer run than Clontarf sea front in my opinion.

Friday 5th July 2013

A solid swim in the morning, only 2km but getting my feel for the water back bit by bit with every session.

Busy day in work and then heading up the country, had planned on running when I arrived but it was dark by the time we got there (delayed en route) and being the bog not safe to run at night.

Saturday 6th July 2013

Arrived last night and the kids woke when we stopped the car. When they saw their grandparents they went nuts and wanted to play with them. Which they did until midnight. Had a big party on later in the day so needed to get the little one to nap at least a little, meant driving around Cavan and Fermanagh for an hour and a half (he only slept 40 minutes) and then lying down with him for three hours to get him to sleep or he would be a demon later at the party. Time to go to the party before I knew the day was gone so no training. Had thought would be home early with the kids but they were happy out so a late late one.

• Advertisement

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    There's a nice route from the IFSC, down the quays towards the O2, cross the east link and out over to Irishtown park. It's a much nicer run than Clontarf sea front in my opinion.

Cheers, will try that out

Hello,

A good week. Monday-Friday all sessions hit (two swims, three runs, two turbos) nothing yesterday or today, hassle with Eoin yesterday and a hangover from hell today (big in-law family party last night) Weak excuse today I know and won't be making a habit of this!

Dave

Week ending 7th July 2013

My first week back training. Monday to Friday were good. Saturday and Sunday less so. It's a start. Low numbers but a start. 90km commuting too. On the plus side recovery wise from illness is flying. Getting there very quickly.

Swim dist: 4km
    Swim time: 1:40
    Bike dist: 28km
    Bike time: 0:53
    Run dist: 20km
    Run time: 1:45
    Total time: 4:10

Chatting the man with the tan today. He asked was I interested in DCM. Told him my weight. "Fvck me Dave I could roll you around the course."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I say do DCM.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I say do DCM.

Will wait until I am running more before committing to anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Will wait until I am running more before committing to anything!

Fair enough. Plus, YOU have to WANT to do it...or at least have the right mindset and approach to HOW you want to do it. Just don't let weight be the reason (which I suspect you won't) because that is easily remedied...and besides I'm sure you wouldn't be the fattest lad out there on the day...unless, well, just how fat are you?? ;)
    (seriously, was just thinking it might be fun and a good focus for you, that's all.)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Fair enough. Plus, YOU have to WANT to do it...or at least have the right mindset and approach to HOW you want to do it. Just don't let weight be the reason (which I suspect you won't) because that is easily remedied...and besides I'm sure you wouldn't be the fattest lad out there on the day...unless, well, just how fat are you?? ;)
    (seriously, was just thinking it might be fun and a good focus for you, that's all.)

I'm seriously fat. 13st 3

10st 4 is racing weight

13st 3 is over weight for "a normal person". I'm fat and thats it. Do I want to do a marathon? Best case I am low 12st, too heavy to run well. Too heavy to enjoy running really.

If I got a good dose of the sh1ts and lost two stone in a month, then maybe.

Monday 9th May 2013

Took Eoin for blood tests today so that was a traumatic experience. Also meant I couldn't try out the new suggested running route from the IFSC at lunch (thanks for that). A 50 minute sweat fest on the turbo late enough at night. Two fans on the go and sweated buckets. Loved it. Off to bed at 2300 for an early start for a swim. Eoin had other ideas. Screaming and needed someone with him to sleep. I volunteered for it. Three hours sleep so unlikely to swim on Tuesday. Just don't know what to do with him. Pick up put down, cry it out, controlled crying, gradual withdrawal - just don't know what to do with him now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

- just don't know what to do with him now.

"HTFU", I dare you;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I'm seriously fat. 13st 3

10st 4 is racing weight

13st 3 is over weight for "a normal person". I'm fat and thats it. Do I want to do a marathon? Best case I am low 12st, too heavy to run well. Too heavy to enjoy running really.

If I got a good dose of the sh1ts and lost two stone in a month, then maybe.

Realistically you could get under 12st by DCM. It is 15 weeks away? 1-1.5lbs a week is doable.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    "HTFU", I dare you;)

He has been told to do that.
    He has been threatened with letting the neighbours babysit him.
    He has been threatened with "for every five minutes you cry I kill a birdie"
    He has been threatened with being put in a creche.

Seriously at wits end.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Realistically you could get under 12st by DCM. It is 15 weeks away? 1-1.5lbs a week is doable.

Yeah Man with a Tan was on again last night about it.

12st yes but thats still heavy for running, not going to rush into anything. #comeOnThe****s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Seriously at wits end.

You've tried diet etc? The only thing that worked for my restless daughter was timed laps of the back yard, followed by milk and cookie. Sorry if the joke was in poor taste; when they don't sleep you don't sleep, you have my sympathies.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    You've tried diet etc? The only thing that worked for my restless daughter was timed laps of the back yard, followed by milk and cookie. Sorry if the joke was in poor taste; when they don't sleep you don't sleep, you have my sympathies.

He is a great eater. He eats his dinner and then some of mine. He is a calm and happy lad *until* he goes in the cot. Then...............

He is always on the go. Although I had thought of tying him to my bike and going for a cycle and letting him run himself to exhaustion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

"He is always on the go. Although I had thought of tying him to my bike and going for a cycle and letting him run himself to exhaustion"

in the same boat if its any helpsounds just like my 2 yr old..hyperactive.. having awful trouble getting him to settle at night time for the last 3 or 4 nights, had it for a while about 3 months ago and thought that we cracked it but its back now as bad as ever

woody1 wrote: »
    "He is always on the go. Although I had thought of tying him to my bike and going for a cycle and letting him run himself to exhaustion"

in the same boat if its any helpsounds just like my 2 yr old..hyperactive.. having awful trouble getting him to settle at night time for the last 3 or 4 nights, had it for a while about 3 months ago and thought that we cracked it but its back now as bad as ever

It does help to hear others are in the same boat to be honest.

I was lying with him last night to get him to sleep. He stopped crying after a while and then started breaking his hole laughing in his sleep...........

Tuesday 9th July 2013

Run

Longer than I should have gone for - both lunch time wise and fitness wise. Was just so lovely out I couldn't stop. A nice, albeit slow run. Liked the route from the IFSC but a little dissapointed with the quality of birds in bikinis on the beach.

I used to run the last part of this route a good bit. It was the route that on sunny days could make a Garmin fog. Today was sunny. Guess what? Fogged. Base2race - be seeing ya soon!

http://app.strava.com/activities/65848821

I cannot remember ever running this slow, ever, ever ever.
    Avg pace 5:12
    AHR: 173bpm

Thats walking pace for 10km heart rate

Turbo
    Session called for 5 5 minute blocks of work. I had a good idea setting up the turbo that I wasn't going to finish this session. It was just too bad hot. Session was scheduled as 1:05 in total. Binned in at 25 minutes. Happy that I started despite everything. In hindsight I should have gone out on the road. Silly.

Woke up this morning (shattered thanks Eoin) and went down for breakfast, sitting at the table Glenda asks "WHATS THAT ON YOUR THIGHS????" pointed at two patches of horrible cuts and abrasions. "Oh thats chubby chaffing - I'm too fat to run" "OH David, you need to sort yourself out"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

Woke up this morning (shattered thanks Eoin) and went down for breakfast, sitting at the table Glenda asks "WHATS THAT ON YOUR THIGHS????" pointed at two patches of horrible cuts and abrasions. "Oh thats chubby chaffing - I'm too fat to run" "OH David, you need to sort yourself out"

You have got to be making this stuff up Dave....

Oh and I hear with the little fella. When it comes to sleeping with a 2 year old in our house all the rules go out the window. I realized very early with Luke that imposing set schedules only made for very frustrated parents. So some nights it's his bed, others its ours and sometimes he will drop off on the couch. I only have the one so I suppose I can get away with that approach.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement