Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rookie's diary part two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Today was the return to structured training.

Week plan done and printed.
    Work clothes for the week packed.
    Monday training gear packed.
    Sets prepared.

All ready to kick off with an early swim.

Eoin had been not himself all weekend and then he started barking like a seal and a 39.8 temperature Sunday. Sunday night I was to sleep on the camping bed in the kids room and he with Glenda. Idea not being to let me sleep for training (would get a slap if suggested that) but I have a massive project on at the minute so need to be fresh. Little man decided that only Daddy would do and given the pain he was in he got his way. Finally got to bed on a chair bed early in the morning to be swiftly awoken by a little girl standing over me wanting to get in beside me. I barely fit in the bed myself so not a great idea.

No swim and late for work (okay not late but not as early as I planned).

Doctor for Eoin and viral croup the diagnosis. Cold air is all that can be done for him. Poor little man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

tunney wrote: »
    Today was the return to structured training.

Week plan done and printed.
    Work clothes for the week packed.
    Monday training gear packed.
    Sets prepared.

All ready to kick off with an early swim.

Eoin had been not himself all weekend and then he started barking like a seal and a 39.8 temperature Sunday. Sunday night I was to sleep on the camping bed in the kids room and he with Glenda. Idea not being to let me sleep for training (would get a slap if suggested that) but I have a massive project on at the minute so need to be fresh. Little man decided that only Daddy would do and given the pain he was in he got his way. Finally got to bed on a chair bed early in the morning to be swiftly awoken by a little girl standing over me wanting to get in beside me. I barely fit in the bed myself so not a great idea.

No swim and late for work (okay not late but not as early as I planned).

Doctor for Eoin and viral croup the diagnosis. Cold air is all that can be done for him. Poor little man.

Hope he gets well, i can't count the amount of early morning sessions i've missed because i've been up half the night with the kids but needs must.

Hope he gets well, i can't count the amount of early morning sessions i've missed because i've been up half the night with the kids but needs must.

Cheers. With him when he is sick he is very sick. Otherwise he just doesn't whinge. Dunno where he gets that from.

I have alot of runners.
    I hate throwing them out.
    Rules are usually "1000km or holes in the uppers, sole worn away completely"

I had a pair of Nike Zoom Elite 5s. No holes, sole substantially worn away but still good. Guts of 800km on them. In all honesty they have been dead for 200km. I refused to throw them out though - must be the Cavan influence.

I orderd some Saucony Ride 6 runners (recommended by Sean of AKW). The recommendation was a little extra ramp (8mm as opposed to 4mm with most others I own) and the added cushioning for my added cushioning. Arrived today (thanks!) and I ran at lunch with them.

Lat week I had aches and pains by 3-4km and was sore after. I knew what it was but I hated the idea of throwing the shoes out.

After todays run they are gone. The cushioning was gone in the Elites and the "ride" was different, they had started to make me pronate.

Anyways from here on I am ignoring the Cavan influence and if I think that they are gone they are gone, no more "letting them rest for a month or two"

My plans for travelling to races usually entail : Wait until a month before the race then book a flight and accommodation. This year the club ironman is IM Frankfurt and there are a good few heading over. The smack talk and abuse has already started (amazingly I am neither smacking nor abusing).

However everyone else appears to be super anal and worried about flights and stuff so my flights have been booked and the hotel too.
    Best do some training!

Going from the club are:
    # Jam boy
    # Tango
    # The Hurler
    # Nestle
    # Stakeknife
    # myself

Could be an interesting winter!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Anyways from here on I am ignoring the Cavan influence and if I think that they are gone they are gone, no more "letting them rest for a month or two"

I run in ST5s and tend to hold on to them a little too long also, 1000k on some of them when really 600 would be plenty as they are a racing shoe even though i use them on all my runs.

So it turns out my Computrainer does still work after all this time sitting idle.

Hour easy (but focused) riding IM Canada video last night. Forgot how much you pump sweat despite it being freezing cold and with fans. Made sure too stay cool enough so I wasn't just working to stop overheating.

NP: 180
    AP: 174
    AHR: 140

Interesting read for this winter

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24120932

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Interesting read for this winter

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24120932

my brain hurts reading that header! :confused:

Bambaata wrote: »

Take the first three words "High dietary protein"
    add to the last ten words "reduces the incidence of upper respiratory tract infection in elite cyclists."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Its easy, eat more chicken & meat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

add to the last ten words "reduces the incidence of upper respiratory tract infection in elite cyclists."

So its a study into whether that is the case. But is it in fact true? And don't tell me the answer is in that paragraph, because thats not written in English.

BTH wrote: »
    So its a study into whether that is the case. But is it in fact true? And don't tell me the answer is in that paragraph, because thats not written in English.

"High-intensity training while consuming a high protein diet was associated with fewer symptoms of URTI compared to performing high-intensity training with a normal diet (P<0.05)."

BTH wrote: »

Yes it is.

Basically by eating a diet higher in protein will balance the damaging effects of high intesnity training equating it to training at low intensities and thus reducing the risks of respiratory tract infections.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Yes it is.

Basically by eating a diet higher in protein will balance the damaging effects of high intesnity training equating it to training at low intensities and thus reducing the risks of respiratory tract infections.

Google translator is giving me nothing for this :D

Ah i got it after a bit of reading, an unplanned hangover day today isnt helping!

Google translator is giving me nothing for this :D

Ah i got it after a bit of reading, an unplanned hangover day today isnt helping!

Pretty much what I always told you. Protein in or with your porridge :)

Porridge is good for hangovers!?

Porridge is good for hangovers!?

Its brilliant.

If you eat porridge instead of drinking beer - then no hangover

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Pretty much what I always told you. Protein in or with your porridge :)

Most people achieve this via whey. Most people have lactose intolerance issues. However, is it better than not taking any protein? Would you be better eating some alkaline based foods to help the body recover?

Two separate issues here:
    pgibbo wrote: »
    Most people achieve this via whey. Most people have lactose intolerance issues. However, is it better than not taking any protein?

Really? Going to call bull on this. This is a new fad in my mind. Some might, most definitely not.
    Would you be better eating some alkaline based foods to help the body recover?

Emmm this whole alkaline diet has been completely debunked.

• Advertisement

Most people achieve this via whey. Most people have lactose intolerance issues. However, is it better than not taking any protein? Would you be better eating some alkaline based foods to help the body recover?

P just finished a very good book Paleo Diet for Athletes you might be interested in reading.

P just finished a very good book Paleo Diet for Athletes you might be interested in reading.

Read it a couple of years ago and refer to it regularly.

My main gripe is over the amount of crap that goes in to most protein products.

Any links to where it has been debunked Dave?

Any links to where it has been debunked Dave?

Alkaline diets? The net is full of them.

ph of blood is kept very stable by the kidneys - a fantasic mechanism. Nothing you can eat will affect ph of blood.

Ph of urine - yes, blood no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

The study was eight cyclists? Correct me if I'm wrong- but how on earth can they draw that conclusion from such a small population size? As a standalone study, it can't be anything but inconclusive.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    The study was eight cyclists? Correct me if I'm wrong- but how on earth can they draw that conclusion from such a small population size? As a standalone study, it can't be anything but inconclusive.

Ah go factor the product of some large primes maths boy.

Anyways back to the training.

Easy run at lunch. The complete opposite to yesterdays run. While everything was still comfy on the shoes front (very comfy) I just wanted to curl up in a ball and sleep rather than run.

Kurt Godel wrote: »

It may be inconclusive in its findings but that's enough to say the corollary is also inconclusive and nothing can be definitively stated

So to anyone who says protein is of no benefit in exercise :p:p:p:p:p

It may be inconclusive in its findings but that's enough to say the corollary is also inconclusive and nothing can be definitively stated

So to anyone who says protein is of no benefit in exercise :p:p:p:p:p

That article didn't mention protein in exercise, it was protein consumed by those that exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

It's not a statistically significant study, (and I don't even see mention of control groups). We may as well as a priest what he thinks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement