Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rookie's diary part two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I bet Ricki Lake will be huffing & puffing up any small incline with the watts per kg ratio of a cream doughnut and a xmas pudding!!
    Hopefully we wont have to stop a 100 times for you to adjust the pink ribbons or mudgaurds on the bike, queen of the faffers!!

I hope I don't annoy your tomorrow with the sound of my IM Frankfurt medal jangling against my Challenge Roth one.

I *had* been invited to drinks in "the west" in January with aload of lads who fvck about in glorified gimps suits and hot pants. I think that invitation has been rescinded..........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

tunney wrote: »
    I *had* been invited to drinks in "the west" in January with aload of triathletes. I think that invitation has been rescinded..........

Define a triathlete.... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

They're probably lads who 'do triathlon' as opposed to 'triathletes'.

BTH wrote: »
    Define a triathlete.... :P
    They're probably lads who 'do triathlon' as opposed to 'triathletes'.

I was being nice. Going to try it for a bit.

• Advertisement

I was being nice. Going to try it for a bit.

Its been an hour already!! :eek:

Two weekends in a row I have ridden my bike outside. A recent record!

3:11 and 86km.
    171 AP and 189 NP

No drama no fuss a good ride with Jamboy on a good new (to me) route. Home, showered and off to the zoo by 9am.......

First double day in a long time yesterday and reacquainting myself with my CT. Going to have to rebuild that relationship! (Although with the threat of ESB stikes may be whipping out the Fluid trainer)

Fingers crossed another good day today

Actually got in the pool this morning. Shoulders didn't know what was going on. Then remembered they shouldn't be doing a think. First swim in weeks. 2km of drowning like jamboy, now I know why he hates swimming.

People use this blog to check up on me. Apart from those wondering "What's that pr1ck Tunney whinging about now" friends (I do have some) use it to check up on me. It appears that if I do not regularly post and give detail then I get emails asking about whats going on and how I am doing. I know my wife checks too. (Hello! Internet History works both ways :))

So to save on emails and to help people be more discreet in their snoopings.....

I've not being doing a lot but am making efforts to get back to things.

Monday
    Nothing. Had planned a swim and run but work, laziness and a dodgy tummy hindered it.

Tuesday
    Run with Tango. Was risky given the tummy but 12km done at a comfortable pace. If it had been 13km then it would have been an utter disaster. Right knee was complaining from an early stage. Not sure what is complaining at the moment - hamstring insertion, ITB or something else. Man with Tan may be getting a call.

Night time saw my own in the shed (baltic) on the computrainer. Main set big gear intervals, HR capped at 160bpm. Power was pi$$ poor for the effort but then again that's where I am. Some complaints from the knee. Hamstring?

Wednesday

Woke up, pi$$ing rain. "No way am I cycling to the pool in that" Not swam in weeks so really needed to go. So I drove instead. 2km. Didn't feel comfortable but was hitting reasonable times. Club 400m TT on Monday. Then went home played "dinosaur castle fights", I'm told I lost, and then I went to work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

home played "dinosaur castle fights", I'm told I lost,

hamstring?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Woke up, pi$$ing rain. "No way am I cycling to the pool in that" So I drove instead. 2km.
    I'm told I lost

Yes, yes, you did

tunney wrote:
    home played "dinosaur castle fights", I'm told I lost,
    mossym wrote: »
    hamstring?

Note sure I follow.

I think my right hamstring needs some TLC.

Completely related to "dinosaur castle fights". My daughter wanted to play. She wanted to make dinosaur castles out of lego and have them fight. Despite hers being sh1t and falling apart if you looked at it she still won I am told.

RayCun wrote: »
    Yes, yes, you did

Sorry I swam 2km in the pool, that wasn't the drive :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Note sure I follow.

the hamstring was the reason for the complaints from the knee, i was wondering were you also blaming it for losing at the infinitely more important "dinosaur castle fights"

Back in from a 8km easy run. Well the first 2km were easy (savage tailwind) middle 4km were just cold, last 2km were cold, miserable and into a savage headwind. I think I need some new winter running gear.

Big thing I find is wind protection on the chest.

Even though it's cold out you are still sweating. If the wind penetrates your outer shell it will chill your core very quickly which leads to abject misery on winter running.

Investment in a wind proof top or jacket is #1 IMHO. Layer up as normal after that.

Even though it's cold out you are still sweating. If the wind penetrates your outer shell it will chill your core very quickly which leads to abject misery on winter running.

Investment in a wind proof top or jacket is #1 IMHO. Layer up as normal after that.

Glove?
    Hat?

Most importantly your lad. Freezing, painfully cold.

Also tights, have two pairs very tight Saucony which are old for windless not too cold days, and nike dryfits which are better but I still get freezing quads and a frozen lad.

Glove?
    Hat?

Most importantly your lad. Freezing, painfully cold.

Also tights, have two pairs very tight Saucony which are old for windless not too cold days, and nike dryfits which are better but I still get freezing quads and a frozen lad.

Hats and gloves without a doubt yes. You can pick up stuff in Lidl / Aldi whatever but if you're serious about winter running you need the right gear.

We don't get really bad winters as it too cold or icy, but experience will teach you what is right and wrong for the weather outside.

Personally right now, I'm layered up with a thermal long sleeve base layer, a wind proof top and/or a jacket. If cold but wet I go without the windproof top as this jacket 3b98f6a8506b11e3bdbb0e994376b16f_8.jpg
    suffices, cold and dry the windproof top and gilet is ideal, or something like this from Saucony - heavy frontal protection with a breathable back panel.
    80897-ENBBK_1_490x490.jpg
    Long tights with short tights underneath keeps everything snug and cosy without being sweaty and nasty.

sh1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Ask Tango, he runs in a ladies boob tube at lunchtime, no wonder he gets cold on the chest!!

Ask Tango, he runs in a ladies boob tube at lunchtime, no wonder he gets cold on the chest!!

You seen my try to fit into my Roth/Frankfurt/Austria t-shirts recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

You seen my try to fit into my Roth/Frankfurt/Austria t-shirts recently?

No but myself and LCD seen things that cannot be unseen!

No but myself and LCD seen things that cannot be unseen!

My Faris impression?

Or the time I ripped my pants and my ar$e was on display at LCDs wedding? Oh no wait..........

Slept in this morning and missed swim. Whole house slept in. Eoin and Aoibhe slept until 0805. Then Aoibhe got all upset that I wouldn't take a photo of her bat

ufd3.jpg

So I.

knaw.jpg

Met Tango for a run with pieces thrown in at lunch. Wore tights. Still got a frozen knob.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Awwwwww....... :)

She reminds me of this

puss-in-boots.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oryx is on a cat roll today! (and both your little girl and her bat are adorable. :))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

sh1.jpg

Nice pert bum on you there Sean - you are in good shape

catweazle wrote: »
    Nice pert bum on you there Sean - you are in good shape

Not me, my wife will tell you I don't have an arse.

• Advertisement

Reasonable run and swim yesterday.

Out this morning IN DAYLIGHT on the bike (wife and kids away last night). Met the BFG at my house and then rode up the N2 to meet Striker and Social Services.

I was dressed for the weather so the cold was fine and it was a decent ride. Slightly hampered by the fact that Social Services doesn't maintain his bike so he was stuck with no gears on the back. I can see me having to repair his bike one of these days.

Was a pleasure to ride in daylight and with company. Great company, great ride.

Time: 3:05
    Dist: 86km
    AP: 182watts
    NP: 202 watts

Club Christmas party tonight so tomorrow could be a write off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement