Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rookie's diary part two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

tunney wrote: »
    Reasonable run and swim yesterday.

Out this morning IN DAYLIGHT on the bike (wife and kids away last night). Met the BFG at my house and then rode up the N2 to meet Striker and Social Services.

I was dressed for the weather so the cold was fine and it was a decent ride. Slightly hampered by the fact that Social Services doesn't maintain his bike so he was stuck with no gears on the back. I can see me having to repair his bike one of these days.

Was a pleasure to ride in daylight and with company. Great company, great ride.

Time: 3:05
    Dist: 86km
    AP: 182watts
    NP: 202 watts

Club Christmas party tonight so tomorrow could be a write off.

Striker :rolleyes: Didn't realise I ever told you that I was a striker in my day...a damn good one too if I may say so myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Striker :rolleyes: Didn't realise I ever told you that I was a striker in my day...a damn good one too if I may say so myself!

We can rename you to "onlyInSchoolHours" if you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

We can rename you to "onlyInSchoolHours" if you like?

Striker is fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Shuruuup Ricki Lake, stick yer face back in that chicken box!

Swim dist : 6300m
    Swim time: 2:15
    Bike dist: 101km
    Bike time: 3:55
    Run dist: 39km
    Run time: 3:16
    Total time 9:30

In the context of the last 3-4 years - a solid week for me.
    Tri Club christmas party last night. Myself and social services were the last ones out (with partners). Dying.com today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Swim dist : 6300m
    Swim time: 2:15
    Bike dist: 101km
    Bike time: 3:55
    Run dist: 39km
    Run time: 3:16
    Total time 9:30

In the context of the last 3-4 years - a solid week for me.
    Tri Club christmas party last night. Myself and social services were the last ones out (with partners). Dying.com today

Are you changing names these days, I cannot follow.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Are you changing names these days, I cannot follow.

Yes, working on a new name for the Hobbit as his wife threatened to knee cap me as it made him cry.

I got a swim in as well on Saturday. Yesterday consisted of lying in the foetal position holding my head and rocking. Then having to work. Then bed.

400m TT tonight in the pool. Will be very happy if I dip under 7.

Yes, working on a new name for the Hobbit as his wife threatened to knee cap me as it made him cry.

I got a swim in as well on Saturday. Yesterday consisted of lying in the foetal position holding my head and rocking. Then having to work. Then bed.

Hah, now social services makes sense. I presume he is on a black list.

Hah, now social services makes sense. I presume he is on a black list.

Rumour has it he bounced onto it alright.

(too soon?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

What does BFG stand for? I know who it is but......

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    What does BFG stand for? I know who it is but......

Roald Dahl

BFG Big Friendly Giant

200px-TheBFG.jpg

Roald Dahl

BFG Big Friendly Giant

200px-TheBFG.jpg

formerly jaundice? very confusing..

formerly jaundice? very confusing..

Striker = el_director
    BFG = Bambatta
    Social Services = jackyback
    InButOutButInButOut = mloc_32

Striker = el_director
    BFG = Bambatta
    Social Services = jackyback
    InButOutButInButOut = mloc_32

I guess it is better than nestle...

Monday 25th November 2013

The dreaded day. Club swim TT. I've not been swimming alot (2km a week tops bar last week when I did 3x2km) so I was dreading this. Last 400m TT was 7:04 a month ago.

Went out not as hard as I thought I should, which meant still too fast. Settled in for second 100m. Maintained in the third 100m. Dug deep as can be for the last one and bust my balls for the last 100m. I was totally spent at the end. Didn't know if I was going to pass out or puke. Swam down and that was it. 6:09 - happy days.

01:24.0
    01:36.0
    01:34.0
    01:35.0

PB by 5 seconds. This not swimming much seems to be working for me.

As usual getting the "sandbagging" cr@p. Not the case. Although now thinking I'd be a danger if I trained.

tuyv.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

The dreaded day. Club swim TT. I've not been swimming alot (2km a week tops bar last week when I did 3x2km) so I was dreading this. Last 400m TT was 7:04 a month ago.

Went out not as hard as I thought I should, which meant still too fast. Settled in for second 100m. Maintained in the third 100m. Dug deep as can be for the last one and bust my balls for the last 100m. I was totally spent at the end. Didn't know if I was going to pass out or puke. Swam down and that was it. 6:09 - happy days.

As usual getting the "sandbagging" cr@p. Not the case. Although now thinking I'd be a danger if I trained.

Kind of hard not to expect comments like that really!!! :D

Nice swimming. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

How'd everyone else get on? Did many show?

pgibbo wrote: »
    Kind of hard not to expect comments like that really!!! :D

Nice swimming. :cool:

Suppose
    Bambaata wrote: »
    How'd everyone else get on? Did many show?

Five there

Kim, Maeve, Colm, Gary and myself

Gary disappointed.
    The girls seemed happy enough (7:13 for Maeve, faster than Fran so she is happy)
    Colm didn't drown

Suppose

Five there

Kim, Maeve, Colm, Gary and myself

Gary disappointed.
    The girls seemed happy enough (7:13 for Maeve, faster than Fran so she is happy)
    Colm didn't drown

Was touch and go around the 300m mark

• Advertisement

Rolling back a few days. Glenda away. Arrive home after work and swimming hungry. Only food in house was egg noodles, ketchup and chicken past its sell by date. So I had egg noodles, ketchup and chicken past its sell by date. There is a reason that best before is okay to ignore and use by is not.

Lunch run. Had to cut it short at 7km.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Nasty! Chicken is not to be messed with!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Was touch and go around the 300m mark

Was that the point where you got in my way :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Jesus, that is some massive improvement, well done! Scratching my head at your "less is more" approach, but it obviously works.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Jesus, that is some massive improvement, well done! Scratching my head at your "less is more" approach, but it obviously works.

It was a big jump from 7:04 to 6:09. Pushed harder, paced better, stayed long and strong for as much as I could.

I'm not advocating "less is more", just the way its happened.

As for the reason. This is the first time in 3-4 years I've been fully healthy. So I'd expect a very different log from here on.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I dont know what was wrong with you, but wow, getting it fixed has made some difference. I doubt the log will go Dory style happy, but I look forward to seeing more huge leaps forward.

Oryx wrote: »
    I dont know what was wrong with you, but wow, getting it fixed has made some difference. I doubt the log will go Dory style happy, but I look forward to seeing more huge leaps forward.

Hey Dory will be having more of an influence in my life so who knows???? :)

Despite saying "Things are different" here is more of the same.

This week was not and will not be a great training week.

I know most of the reasons well in advance and then Eoin is sick. On the plus side we now know why he got sick so often he is a b0ll0ck he has mild asthma and that makes him susceptible to colds and chest infections. Not really surprising as his sister has the same and so do I. I've mostly grown out of it (unless training hard) and I am sure they will do. Oral steroids and regular inhalers and we are told he will get sick less, sleep better and not be as much of a b0ll0cks at night

We have also entered nightmare central. As in Aoibhe (who had her first nightmare two years ago) is getting quite a few, and he is too. Its busy in our house at night (at least if you sleep as lightly as I do! Snorey MacSleepThroughAnythingOrAtLeastPretend doesn't notice as much.).

But these are not really impacting things much. What is, and will, are work and a hen/stag. Work is nuts and that impacting things obviously. The sister in law is getting married and Glenda is matron of honour so thats Friday/Saturday/Sunday gone between organising, helping and drinking. I'll be on the Stag so should be good fun. Just hope no one breaks into my room and vomits all over the place like at the last stag I was on.

A few years ago someone approached me about coaching them, I hadn't thought about it before but made sense. Gradually over time more have joined me, only three have ever left me (one expected something different and was gone in two weeks, one was mutual clash of attitudes, and one still hasn't broken the news to me yet but I know its coming). Anyways this all happened at a nice time, well a bad time but good timing. When I stopped training and racing I still had this connection to the sport and still had to read and research and dabbled. Enough that I think I can get back into it properly. I've learnt so much from working with these people - its definitely a two way street. Made some great friends too.

However I have been guilty over the last few years of "do as I say not as I do". That can change now. Things will get interesting on here in the next few weeks :)

Excited.

• Advertisement

Got a double run done Friday.

Then on Saturday the plan was that I was going to do a long run and be back, showered and changed in time for a 12:30 drive to the go-karting.

Plans changed and we were standing outside a pub for a few pints at 11am while waiting for the lifts. Pints then go karting. Then cans while getting ready. More pints. Some shots. Onto another bar. Pints,shots. Repeat.

Sunday. Day one of the December running streak. I cannot walk. Head pounding wallet empty. Puke a little. Finally get home to Dublin. Feel like crying. Around ten or eleven dragged my broken body out for 6km painful km.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement