Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rookie's diary part two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

tunney wrote: »
    Doesn't go down well if you throw a swimming cap at an auld one and say "stick that on your fanny, I'm getting hairs in my mouth".

Gosh, and I thought I was being polite. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Met Tango for a run at lunch. Thankfully his running is as bad as mine at the minute. Long road back.

If anyone has a front wheel, cheap commuter one, that they want to sell could they let me know.

To find out what happened my existing one look on youtube for "idiot, suit bag, steep ramp" (video may not be there but security guards said it would be)

Anything at all really considered as long as it is true

I did more damage than I thought yesterday. Painful to type....c rap

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

I did more damage than I thought yesterday. Painful to type....c rap

wrist? elbow? fingers?

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    wrist? elbow? fingers?

the point between the tip of the forearm and the start of the hand. Connective tissue I think

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

ouch. resorted to RICE, or are you going with that recent retraction of it's benefits?

mossym wrote: »
    ouch. resorted to RICE, or are you going with that recent retraction of it's benefits?

R. - Rest, work in IT so have to type, married with two children so.....
    I. - Stopped being a fan a few years ago when research start to indicate that ice was pointless for recovery from training, definitely stopped applicable in all scenarios since the recent publication you are referring to
    C. - Compression, may have to do that, at the very least to restrict mobility so I stop hurting it
    E. - Elevation - would look great in work :)

Got an email last night from one of my new lads.

"I hate you and I hate your turbo sessions".

I laughed to myself as I had just done the same one and puked in the shed. Donegal Catch and beans coming back up is the only thing worse than Donegal Catch and beans on the way down. #messyShed

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Your diet needs work.

And keep a bucket in the shed.

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    Your diet needs work.

Freezer surprise. Freezer being run down so could be some interesting menus this week.
    And keep a bucket in the shed.

Yes, that did cross my mind

Also, I presume its all power related, but that session sounds fun, if youre passing hr versions of things like that on....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Also, I presume its all power related, but that session sounds fun, if youre passing hr versions of things like that on....

or would you be interested in passing on the session.:o

Frankfurt reopened yesterday.

A good few more got in.

Main players (to be fair I don't know a good few of the people doing it):

Name|Swimming|Biking|Running|Strengths|Weaknesses|Predicted time|Overall|Beat me
    Hurler|slower(-30sec over 400m) perhaps too nice in the water|faster and alot lighter|alot faster|Lean, strong, mentally strong, robust, done the course before|Suffering - can he go there| 9:28| Kick my ass |Definitely
    Tango|50 minute swimmer|Slower|Slower|Swimming strong, experienced, done the course before|Running form, gets horribly distracted and drops the pace on the bike and run|9:58|He will just get there, all depends on maintaining form on the run|Probably
    Crunchie|May possibly drown if doesn't get back in the pool|Needs work|Needs work|Knows whats required|Knows whats required|11:30|Needs to get healthy and get training and put the pie down| Unlikely
    Wicklow lad|comparable to myself|alot slower|slower|Experienced, solid swimmer, won't get flustered|Lax approach to training, no fear of the distance, unwillingness to suffer. Influence of a non performance focused crowd may push it out by an hour+|10:50|Will all come down to how he paces the bike| Unlikely
    Gary|May drown|should do a 5:05-5:10|would be expecting a sub three, or close, run|Can suffer, can run, can bike|can't swim, has issues swimming|9:58| I see the battle between him and Tango as being the exciting part of the run. He will come by Tango with 5km to go. Who wins there will depend who wants it more|Definitely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Frankfurt reopened yesterday.

A good few more got in.

Main players (to be fair I don't know a good few of the people doing it):

Name|Swimming|Biking|Running|Strengths|Weaknesses|Predicted time|Overall|Beat me
    Hurler|slower(-30sec over 400m) perhaps too nice in the water|faster and alot lighter|alot faster|Lean, strong, mentally strong, robust, done the course before|Suffering - can he go there| 9:28| Kick my ass |Definitely
    Tango|50 minute swimmer|Slower|Slower|Swimming strong, experienced, done the course before|Running form, gets horribly distracted and drops the pace on the bike and run|9:58|He will just get there, all depends on maintaining form on the run|Probably
    Crunchie|May possibly drown if doesn't get back in the pool|Needs work|Needs work|Knows whats required|Knows whats required|11:30|Needs to get healthy and get training and put the pie down| Unlikely
    Wicklow lad|comparable to myself|alot slower|slower|Experienced, solid swimmer, won't get flustered|Lax approach to training, no fear of the distance, unwillingness to suffer. Influence of a non performance focused crowd may push it out by an hour+|10:50|Will all come down to how he paces the bike| Unlikely
    Gary|May drown|should do a 5:05-5:10|would be expecting a sub three, or close, run|Can suffer, can run, can bike|can't swim, has issues swimming|9:58| I see the battle between him and Tango as being the exciting part of the run. He will come by Tango with 5km to go. Who wins there will depend who wants it more|Definitely

You keep changing names, who is Wicklow Lad & Hurler? I think Gary will be closer to 9.45.

You keep changing names, who is Wicklow Lad & Hurler? I think Gary will be closer to 9.45.

Hurler has always been the Hurler. He used to play at a high level for Vincents.
    Tango has always been orange.
    Crunchie has had many names alright, present one is based on his covert use of Crunchie bars as his main energy product. Could also be known as "FormerMod" or "WhereTheFvckWhereYouAtTheChristmasParty"
    WicklowLad hasn't featured on here much despite being one of the founding members of Phoenix. You'd know of him but not know him.
    Gary has also had many names. Present name is after a famous actor whos most famous on screen character had a brother called Willis,

To be clear Gary Cullian (who used to play with the small ball, hint hint) is not "Gary"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Why isn't JB on the list? :confused:

pgibbo wrote: »
    Why isn't JB on the list? :confused:

He is.

I really thought at this stage you'd know better Paul.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Coleman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

LMFAO - must clean up the water that I spat all over my desk

I just assumed it was Gary that did Barca a few years ago when I saw the list :D

pgibbo wrote: »
    LMFAO - must clean up the water that I spat all over my desk

I just assumed it was Gary that did Barca a few years ago when I saw the list :D

Gary Cullinan, who did Barcelona, IM Frankfurt, IM Lanza is the Hurler.

Gary, aka Gary Coleman, aka Warwick Davis, aka Happy, aka Doc, aka Grump, aka Sneezy, aka Sleepy, aka Bashful, aka Dopy............. need I REALLY spell it out????

• Advertisement

Ah here, Grumpy or Sneezy has to be you.

Ah here, Grumpy or Sneezy has to be you.

I'm not on the list :)

So i am now Gary, you can go and sh1te with your predictions. No chance:)

Seen as you are critiquing everyone, best not leave you out of it. Honest assesment of Tunney as he stands now!

Ricki Lake|Even with limited swim training will go well, likely 66mins|Will do a 5:30, lack of training and endurance will be the issue|Will really struggle on the back end of the run, will run close to 4hrs|Years of experience will get him to the finish line|Will not/cannot do the consistent training required. Needs a solid 8 week base of consistent training to be even ready to do proper IM training|10:55|Needs to lose 3 stone and do some training|Will not be last home

I'm not on the list :)

You are now Ricki

Given the confusion and abuse over email:

Take Two

Gary Culinan|slower(-30sec over 400m) perhaps too nice in the water|faster and alot lighter|alot faster|Lean, strong, mentally strong, robust, done the course before|Suffering - can he go there?| 9:28| Kick my ass |Definitely
    Darren Cranston|50 minute swimmer|Slower|Slower|Swimming strong, experienced, done the course before|Running form, gets horribly distracted and drops the pace on the bike and run|9:58|He will just get there, all depends on maintaining form on the run|Probably
    Colm Austin|May possibly drown if doesn't get back in the pool|Needs work|Needs work|Knows whats required|Knows whats required|11:30|Needs to get healthy and get training and put the pie down| Unlikely
    Eoin Lambert|comparable to myself|alot slower|slower|Experienced, solid swimmer, won't get flustered|Lax approach to training, no fear of the distance, unwillingness to suffer. Influence of a non performance focused crowd may push it out by an hour+|10:50|Will all come down to how he paces the bike| Unlikely
    Fran Egan|May drown|should do a 5:15|would be expecting a 3.15|Can suffer, can run, can bike|can't swim, has issues swimming|9:58| I see the battle between him and Darren as being the exciting part of the run. He will come by Darren with 5km to go. Who wins there will depend who wants it more|Definitely
    David Tunney|I should finish the swim - non wetsuit or not. Wetsuits make no different to me (especially at the moment) Present predicted time 1:16|So bike unfit and overweight so a 6:00 bike|Fat and slow so a 4:15 run|I know what I have to do|I have not the time with new role, two kids and a wife to do the work I once did and can I be happy with best effort?|11:41|Can only get better from this level

So i am now Gary, you can go and sh1te with your predictions. No chance:)

Seen as you are critiquing everyone, best not leave you out of it. Honest assesment of Tunney as he stands now!

Ricki Lake|Even with limited swim training will go well, likely 66mins|Will do a 5:30, lack of training and endurance will be the issue|Will really struggle on the back end of the run, will run close to 4hrs|Years of experience will get him to the finish line|Will not/cannot do the consistent training required. Needs a solid 8 week base of consistent training to be even ready to do proper IM training|10:55|Needs to lose 3 stone and do some training|Will not be last home

More generous that I was but all fair enough. I think 5:30 is a push, was 185 AP for 5:26 on that course before. At the moment I could not hold that. Close to four hours yes but over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

11.30.. I dunno about that, what is the cut of in FF?

I need to find a cheap source of Nestle bars too.

Quick update before the ban.

Running is going well, getting miles done and my legs are beginning to feel like they are recruiting properly. Belly not helping but luckily I took AKWs advice on shoe selection for my expanded frame.

Swimming - just not getting to the pool enough, struggling to get out of bed.
    Cycling - missing the long cycles but hitting the turbos. Will get there.

Back in the swing of meeting Cranston at lunch even if I am getting caught on the wrong side of the East Link bridge when it is up (and wasting 15 minutes and not even one fecking boat goes by)

Can I record non training injuries and what not here?

Fecking Ikea wardrobes. Also new razor took a chunk out of finger, lucjky not to lose a huge chunk.

As for training, running and swimming but hating my bike

• Advertisement

Can I record non training injuries and what not here?

Fecking Ikea wardrobes. Also new razor took a chunk out of finger, lucjky not to lose a huge chunk.

As for training, running and swimming but hating my bike
    Stop, please. I still cringe when I think of the time you tried to take your fingers off in your drivetrain. :o

If you love your bike youre doing it wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement