Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rookie's diary part two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Oryx wrote: »
    Stop, please. I still cringe when I think of the time you tried to take your fingers off in your drivetrain. :o

If you love your bike youre doing it wrong.

That was unpleasant.

Picture the sharpest knife you have ever held, now make it 100 times sharper. Now imagine doing a stroke of the blade, by mistake just once, from edge in..... Now look in puzzlement at the blood and the junk of skin on the floor.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

tunney wrote: »
    That was unpleasant.

Picture the sharpest knife you have ever held, now make it 100 times sharper. Now imagine doing a stroke of the blade, by mistake just once, from edge in..... Now look in puzzlement at the blood and the junk of skin on the floor.
    Cant say I've ever done that, but you did remind me of my worst ever accident years ago, where I watched my blood pool on the concrete beneath me. I remember wondering why it was so dark, and not red. Ah, the memories.

SH!T. I forgot to bring trousers to work today

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

suit-drive-2011_2-200x300.jpg

Panic over, found a spare pair, *pretty* sure they are mine from ages ago

• Advertisement

This comment can be taken in whatever context you want.

If you pay a full time coach and ask them a hard question, the odds are you will get the "truth" that will keep you paying and not what you need to hear.
    Not always but usually.

Just saying like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Couldn't agree more, and not just applicable to triathlons or even athletics for that matter.

Monday 10th February 2014

Easy lunch run.

Time: 50:30
    Dist: 10.14km
    AHR: 162bpm
    APace: 4:59 min/km
    ASPM : 182spm

Cold as can be and windy as feck. Focused on pelvis and core and just ran. Arrived back with a lad painfully frozen.

http://www.strava.com/activities/112413531

Monday 10th February 2014

Time: 0:45:00
    Dist: 2km

Club session, as always a good Tango session. Out of the water for a while and felt it but no better way to get back into it than having Tango on the deck. All in all a good session, mispaced some of the efforts but can live with that.

Tuesday 11th February 2014

Kids not shifting the tonsillitis (yes its tonsillitis , spent €90 on D-Doc on Sunday night to be told viral infection, Glenda at doctors anyways on Monday, doctor checked her, "eh tonsillitis ") still 40 degree temps, getting work done on the house so dust and MDF fibers everywhere. Between lack of sleep, my chest and work I'm not doing well!

• Advertisement

Last night was a bad night. Around 7pm my temperature started going up. By midnight I was well over 31 degrees and my joints were in agony. I took every type of painkillers that I could safely combine in the house but no relieve. (Turns out I had three I could use in parallel) I ended up having to stand in the sitting room until 5am until the pain subsided.

Doctors at 0915, chest infection, quite bad. Antibotics and steroids.

I then raised the point that I no longer took my preventative inhaler as it was too costly (around €100 a month) this contributes to me getting sick. Some discussion later I was given a weaker inhaler but if I actually use it will be much more effective. €35 so I will use it, plus I can get them for a tenner up north.

Hopefully this will put paid to my illnesses.

Still in work dying......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

And here was me thinking i might see you in the pool this morning after your reintroduction on Monday!

Bambaata wrote: »
    And here was me thinking i might see you in the pool this morning after your reintroduction on Monday!

Ah I am full on motivated again but sh1t happens.

Also decided that this year is my last year doing tri for a good few years, won't have time (work) so back to running.

No new tri toys but plenty of runners and the 620 versus v800 debate

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

roll up roll up lots of gear going cheap....

just kidding. Is it not very early in the year to be making calls like that?

mossym wrote: »
    roll up roll up lots of gear going cheap....

just kidding. Is it not very early in the year to be making calls like that?

Oh nothing to do with the sport and my enjoyment of it. Just a realistic assessment of where my life is going with work and kids! I'll not be selling anything either. Myself and Fran have a score to settle in Bavaria but that can wait until our forties.

I slapped someone down recently. Unrealistic goals, pointless events and really they would be better off getting fit and loosing weight.

Thinking more about it, I am at best a hypocrite........ suppose I really should heed my own advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Easy lunch run.

Focused on pelvis and core and just ran.

This is something that rarely gets discussed on these pages. How important is running form, do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    This is something that rarely gets discussed on these pages. How important is running form, do you think?

<grabs popcorn and drink>

I view running as a skills based sport with a heavy endurance overtone. Its up there with swimming in my opinion. A quality runner just flows, its beautiful to watch.

Most runners hurt your eyes.

Form and technique are vital.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    <grabs popcorn and drink>

Not sure how its controversial? Form is important, style is important.

• Advertisement

Your delivery is often controversial.

Define good form.

I view running as a skills based sport with a heavy endurance overtone. Its up there with swimming in my opinion. A quality runner just flows, its beautiful to watch.

Most runners hurt your eyes.

Form and technique are vital.

Your post made me consider how I run. I've had a load of running niggles the past year, so form was awful, but since losing weight and firming my core, I've been trying to concentrate more on what I'm doing as I run. There's a big difference all right; holding form (especially when tired) allows for much better use of energy. The upper body controls your momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

It was not meant to indicate controversy. It was meant to indicate entertainment of some sort. It was a good thing. And before you go jumping to the wrong conclusion again, entertainment can be educational. ;)

Oryx wrote: »
    Your delivery is often controversial.

Define good form.

Minimal contact time, recruiting the correct muscles.

Your post made me consider how I run. I've had a load of running niggles the past year, so form was awful, but since losing weight and firming my core, I've been trying to concentrate more on what I'm doing as I run. There's a big difference all right; holding form (especially when tired) allows for much better use of energy. The upper body controls your momentum.

Form IMHO is upper body and the correct recruitment pattern for lower limbs. Plus the position and movement of pelvis, get it all right and the contact time is minimal, you mid/fore foot strike and you float over the ground without effort.

Not everyone has the powers of proprioception to learn though in my humble opinion.

I'd also say that if you BF% is over 15% (and are male) forget about running with anything approaching good form.

I'd also say that if you BF% is over 15% (and are male) forget about running with anything approaching good form.

Meaning there are more obvious limiters to tackle first, or you're just to heavy to have a light foot?

FWIW my BF% is borderline obese, but I notice benefits from engaging the upper body correctly. But I take your point about good form meaning floating over the ground (not something I'll ever be able to do).

Meaning there are more obvious limiters to tackle first, or you're just to heavy to have a light foot?

Both - however you can minimise your risk of injury and maximise your enjoyment by working on running with good form
    FWIW my BF% is borderline obese, but I notice benefits from engaging the upper body correctly. But I take your point about good form meaning floating over the ground (not something I'll ever be able to do).

Yup the upper body is important.

Running form is vital. I occasionally take my guys out running and try to get them to work on technique. Most nod, agree and then ignore.

Lots that can be done to work on it though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

What are your checks or running cues when focusing on form Dave?

Agree totally about the importance of good running form.

pgibbo wrote: »
    What are your checks or running cues when focusing on form Dave?

Agree totally about the importance of good running form.

Daisies in your fingers, newspapers under your arms, suck belly button to spine and pretend you are stopping yourself from weeing and then try to fall on your face.

• Advertisement

Daisies in your fingers, newspapers under your arms, suck belly button to spine and pretend you are stopping yourself from weeing and then try to fall on your face.
    I was told to bring your heels under your arse (rather than back). Would you agree?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement