Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rookie's diary part two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Oryx wrote: »
    I was told to bring your heels under your arse (rather than back). Would you agree?

I suppose that sounds right. I do focus on running with hamstrings, HFs and glutes. Suppose that does result on almost kicking your arse. But really for normal speed running track superstar style running isn't going to happen!

Got out at lunch for a run. I really needed this for the stress relief purposes. Chest red raw from the chest infection.

Waddling along in my new Brooks gilet (all I can say is wow! I am a big fan of gilets for running and cycling. I have a few cycling ones (two good, two sh1t) and one running one, a 15 year old Saucony one. Find a gilet makes your gear go so much further and cover so many more conditions. Anyways was blown away by this gilet. Simply amazing - cheers @AKW

Also trialling Brooks Pure Flow on the Brooks "try the runners for a week" program. Initial thoughts are but jury still out - I like a very firm sole and not sure that these are firm enough long term wise. Manufacturing and quality are great though.

http://www.strava.com/activities/114218793

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

tunney wrote: »
    Daisies in your fingers, newspapers under your arms, suck belly button to spine and pretend you are stopping yourself from weeing and then try to fall on your face.

Did a run tonight holding invisible Daisy's in my hands and invisible newspapers under my arms and it really made a difference, hr for the z2 run was about 5 beats lower than normal, (or maybe that was due to not running in gale force wind and slanty rain!!)pity the pace was still shocking:D thanks Mr. tunney

Pmaldini wrote: »
    Did a run tonight holding invisible Daisy's in my hands and invisible newspapers under my arms and it really made a difference, hr for the z2 run was about 5 beats lower than normal, (or maybe that was due to not running in gale force wind and slanty rain!!)pity the pace was still shocking:D thanks Mr. tunney

If it felt better that's the main thing.

Next time concentrate on pulling your belly button in and stopping yourself weeing(assuming male, women's bits not so sure on)

Time after that try to fall on your face leaning from your ankles.

Went home last night and plan was to swim. Didn't feel great, took my temperature still up. A week now of a temperature. Chest infection mostly shifted but suspect the viral is hanging around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

:pac:
    you should probably change your username to tunneymodwarning, just to save everyone some time :)

I've done some training this week but something isn't right. My muscles are still achey and sore as can be. Two possibilities (a) I'm still sick (b) sometimes post viral infection muscles can remain spasmed and need to be switched off.

I think its probably the latter and will have to give the man with the tan a ring.

Went for a ride yesterday, something felt wrong from the off. Put it down as lack of fitness. But turns out saddle had slipped a bit and I was loading my rec fem. Patella tendon and rec fem in rag order today and barely can walk.

Man with the Tan says sleep on it. Not sure thats going to work this time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Man with the Tan says sleep on it. Not sure thats going to work this time.

So, was he right?

mossym wrote: »
    So, was he right?

No, to be fair though I knew he was lying, he does alot of reassuring. Was in last night with him. Rec fems, mainly the right one, in a jock. He booked me in for next week as well and told me I was fine. After all these years I know that the important thing is not what he says but the booking.

Also still in pain today. Buggery

• Advertisement

I had a meeting in DCU today.
    Glenda drove me down (worked from home), brought the kids to the park beside DCU while I went to my meeting.

I met Glenda in DCU in 1997, weird to be back to somewhere that changed so much with two kids.

In 2001 I actually started running there. A lap of a pitch and near death was how I started. I pointed that out to Glenda as we were in the playground "yeah I was just thinking that too. Maybe you need to come back to DCU for a bit....."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

that's a ball$ about the knee, i've done more work on my similar issue over the past few weeks than i've put into core work in a long time. seems to have paid off though hopefully

Met my wife at college too in limerick. We were in there recently for my MBA graduation and the same weird feeling happened. 14 years since we graduated but it will always be a big part of our lives

Tuesday 18th March 2014

Weekly weigh in
    Weight: 12st 13.6
    Body fat: 26.7%

Training update : None. My right knee is, to use the technical term "in a jock" or "fvcked" depending on who you talk to.

The rec fem was tweaked and patella tendion strained.
    I tried a short run at lunch and its no better.
    In with MwtT tomorrow again.

Not getting stressed about it though. Myself and Glenda sat down and had a chat about training and the like. Alot of what she said I have said to others. When they ignored it and soldiered on I thought they were being totally stupid.

Its advice I am taking. I need a longer term view to rebuilding. Running focus in 2014, running and shorter sprints/olympics in 2015. Trying to get back fit and lean while completely overwhelmed with long distance triathlon isn't working.

So I committed to no IMs until at least 2016, realistically I will not go long again for a long long time. One notable exception Frankfurt 2014 - still on, still going, will waddle on through, have a laugh, go on the lash and not get stressed about performances or anything.

So this log is going to chart the end of the phase in my life that hasn't been the best sporting wise and the return to the leaner, fitter, healthier version of myself (or an approximation thereof).

Onwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

[band the return to the leaner, fitter, healthier version of myself (or an approximation thereof).

Onwards!
    Cool, a training log then?!

Sure find the gra first. You obviously love running so have the craic in FF and give DCM a lash with a few tune up races?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

One notable exception Frankfurt 2014 - still on, still going, will waddle on through, have a laugh, go on the lash and not get stressed about performances or anything.

Will make two of us so :)

Cool, a training log then?!

Sure find the gra first. You obviously love running so have the craic in FF and give DCM a lash with a few tune up races?

Gra is there, just smothered!

Yes an actual training log :)

DCM was on the cards. Concerned about the knee though. I think its something more than I thought it was. Three weeks on and its still bad.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Will make two of us so :)

Three of us - Fran in the same boat. Actually the two of you could actual end up in a boat if its not wetsuit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Three of us - Fran in the same boat. Actually the two of you could actual end up in a boat if its not wetsuit

Have they brought in those rest islands on the swim yet?

mloc123 wrote: »
    Have they brought in those rest islands on the swim yet?

In the US.........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Given your much commented upon love of Haribo and your interest in reading original research papers I thought you'd like this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

griffin100 wrote: »
    Given your much commented upon love of Haribo and your interest in reading original research papers I thought you'd like this :D

Favour, colour, flavour....fine, I get that. But I still don't get threadmill. :confused: Even when I google it, I am asked "do you mean treadmill?" YES!! I do mean TREADMILL!!!! ;):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Good blog

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Favour, colour, flavour....fine, I get that. But I still don't get threadmill. :confused: Even when I google it, I am asked "do you mean treadmill?" YES!! I do mean TREADMILL!!!! ;):)

American correcting us about English. For shame.

So MttT again last night. Most of the rec fem issues are gone and the patella tendon is on the mend but not its Chondromalacia of the patella.

Getting fit and staying active, this whole not being fit has more illness and injuries than training like a mad man!

Was meant to test my knee today. Emailed the wife to say "Miserable weather out there, not sure I want to run in it."
    Response was succinct and clear : "HTFU"

Best go then

Run done, cold, wet, knee not great.

Just for mcos - the Horizon boxes are pure fvcking muck, wifi my ring.

Anyways........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

I like your wife

Solobally8 wrote: »
    I like your wife

Punching above my weight alright. Great woman.

Also discovered that once we left the ART board and left them as AR that we obviously took the sense of humour with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Maybe we were their sense of humour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You're a bunch of clowns :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement