Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rookie's diary part two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

tunney wrote: »
    Run done, cold, wet, knee not great.

Just for mcos - the Horizon boxes are pure fvcking muck, wifi my ring.

Anyways........

Heap of ****e. My advice to anyone that mentioned them was to stick with the old box and seperate router. I nearly bounced the remote off the TV.....not my house, not my TV but jesus the frustration of using the interface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Tunney, if you're fat with a gammy knee and have a good coach in Tango, would you not try and improve your swim fitness over the next few months? This will (probably) help the knee and you could tick over at easy runs and bikes, and keep a decent aerobic base for when the knee lets you run harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

One notable exception Frankfurt 2014 - still on, still going, will waddle on through, have a laugh, go on the lash and not get stressed about performances or anything.

<SNIP> no need for that

hope knee gets better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »
    One notable exception Frankfurt 2014 - still on, still going, will waddle on through, have a laugh, go on the lash and not get stressed about performances or anything.

<SNIP> no need for that

hope knee gets better.

To clarify Peters comments. The <SNIP> was fine by me. Yes it was in pink but the dig was intended but the dig was fair.

Am I delusional? No. I'm under no illusion of the achievement of waddling around an IM. Circumstances (some external some internal) conspired and I am where I am. Do I throw my toys out of the pram or accept that its all paid for, I've the holidays booked and really it shouldn't kill me and I intend to have good craic. I will have to make sure that I and Fran are not hungover on the start line (too badly anyways) as that would be miserable completely.

My knee will heal. I have a realistic plan for proper return to activity. I'm probably going back to my old coach and I am just going to enjoy myself.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Tunney, if you're fat with a gammy knee and have a good coach in Tango, would you not try and improve your swim fitness over the next few months? This will (probably) help the knee and you could tick over at easy runs and bikes, and keep a decent aerobic base for when the knee lets you run harder.

Yes I could do this I suppose. But the time and effort to get faster swimming wise would be huge. I talked to Tango before about what it would take for me to become a good swimmer (non wetsuit) and really the amount of work was huge. No kids and maybe but double swim days and aligning life to the opening hours of the pool...........

• Advertisement

A weekend free of training. Conscious decision. I want to shift the knee issue once and for all.

On my way to work this morning I found myself going 45kph tucked in behind a motorbike. Think its there, or there abouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

Im still remembering the smack talk from you and Fran at a certain wedding we were at in October!!

Long bike on Sunday morning - we will be nice to you this time!!

Mr Tango wrote: »
    Im still remembering the smack talk from you and Fran at a certain wedding we were at in October!!

Any night that involves me attempting dwarf throwing when the dwarf is not jackyback is a night exempted from smack talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Any night that involves me attempting dwarf throwing when the dwarf is not jackyback is a night exempted from smack talk.

And then you wonder why your knee is fecked! :rolleyes:

AKW wrote: »
    And then you wonder why your knee is fecked! :rolleyes:

They were rather small (but did take great offense) not sure I will be welcome at Liam's next wedding. Or Annettes, probably shouldn't have dragged her Mam out dancing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Mr Tango wrote: »

Might be up for that. Wicklow and hills? Might cycle from mine down so what time?

A test run yesterday. 20 minutes. Not too comfortable but survived.
    Then after that painful to cycle home.
    This morning uncomfortable.
    Cycle painful.
    Cannot walk once off the bike today.

Think its rather bad and perhaps a 12 week recovery (patella tendonitis I suspect) maybe its related to a piriformis or glute problem, or calves. Will get the MwtT to look this evening.

I'm getting majorly pi$$ed off

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

ouch. not good. anyone else i'd ask about the bike fit but know you already looked at that.

hopefully the tanned one has some ideas. was looking forward to seeing the progress on the comeback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

If you were a horse.......just saying!!

If you were a horse you'd be a pony.

Definitely - had a full work up in the doctors as been feeling sh1t. bloods indicate post viral - akin to having had glandular fever (but wasn't glandular fever). Seemingly your body effectively shutting down is common. Explains not being able to get out of bed, stay awake, do anything. Told it should pass in a month or three.

On a plus side cholestrol good, organ function fine and despite the Haribo no diabetes or pre-cursor to.

Just the fact I am fvcked. Combine this with the knee and I am not going to be visiting the ECB this year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Just the fact I am fvcked. Combine this with the knee and I am not going to be visiting the ECB this year.

presumably cutra is out as well?

As part of my ongoing knee problems I've done alot of reading on patella tendons and running.

One very interesting thing I discovered was around shoes. We all have heard and know that dropping from high ramp to low ramp (i.e. going minimalist) can result in calf and Achilles tendon strains. However what I had never heard, nor read, that switching from low ramp to a higher ramp can place strain on the patella tendon. Investigating patella tendon injuryes this is exactly what I stumbled across

My natural reaction to nursing an injury was to lash on the big cushioned shoes - the particular pair I picked was high(er) ramp shoe 4mm up to 8mm. Which in thinking I was helping was possibly hindering recovery.

Just something that may be of use to someone else at some stage

Thinking about it after our chat the other day (Mr T educated me on this topic) it makes sense that it takes such a while to transition from high to low that naturally going low to high has to have an effect on the body too.

Really got me burning the brain cells with that so keen to read more and maybe throw it together in a blog piece from a footwear point of view.

My natural reaction to nursing an injury was to lash on the big cushioned shoes - the particular pair I picked was high(er) ramp shoe 4mm up to 8mm. Which in thinking I was helping was possibly hindering recovery.

You need these..

300603.jpg

:D:D

Only 4.5mm ramp!

• Advertisement

You need these..

300603.jpg

:D:D

Only 4.5mm ramp!

Are they comfy?
    How much? I dread to ask?

So I knackered my knee six weeks ago.
    So I did nothing for six weeks.

I had committed to a club TT last night. Not having swam in six weeks I wasn't looking forward to it.

Tango set the TTs up properly, two to a lane so clean water, means cannot cheat and draft to get a better time (akin to fudging a 5min TT to get a better 20min TT - i.e. pointless and extremely common).

I went off beside Tango. Didn't try to stay with him but still went too hard the first 100m. Form and propulsion went in second 200m. Rule for 400ms is third 100m should be the hardest. It was.

In for 6:27, 18 seconds up from last one. Another TT in 6-7 weeks. I will break 6 minutes then.

You're like me, don't swim, get quicker.

You're like me, don't swim, get quicker.

I got slower Sean. 18 seconds slower :)

There I was living in hope. Read 'up' as an improvement.

Updated the SBR 2014 challenge to remove Kenmare.

Looked into accommodation and since the race is now in the "high season" its just too expensive to even consider.

The accomodation in Frankfurt is cheaper. Between petrol and the extra cost of the accomodation in Kenmare a euro IM is cheaper to get to and stay there while there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I would agree with you, looking to rent two houses for the weekend down there and the prices are ridiculous. I am considering Killarney instead although I would perfer kenmare for the pints after, I might have to bite the bullet and invite the non drinking mother in law

catweazle wrote: »
    I would agree with you, looking to rent two houses for the weekend down there and the prices are ridiculous. I am considering Killarney instead although I would perfer kenmare for the pints after, I might have to bite the bullet and invite the non drinking mother in law

One of the attractions of Kenmare is a few pints afterwards, staying away from kenmare would meant the little ones would dictate a departure of all at 1900 rather than saying "Honestly, I'll just finish this one and I'll be home" but I am not paying those rates.

Knocking it on the head.

Right so an assessment of Frankfurt

Tango - 4:59 400m TT recently so swimming well, long run up to two hours and riding well, looking lean
    Gary - 6:38 400m TT, running well, riding very well, very lean
    Fran - pulled from pool by life guard during 400m TT, not riding his bike since Ben raised the saddle and hid the allen keys, running 3hr marathons +/- 5 minutes. Great power to height ratio.
    Eoin - no idea on swim or bike but running two hours
    Colm - won't be starting

Me - Glenda wants me to bin Frankfurt, I've missed 6 weeks training due to injury and work is absolutely nuts. I've fat and unfit, but I've not looked forward to a races as much as this since Austria 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

but I've not looked forward to a races as much as this since Austria 2010.
    This is all you need to know. Keep going.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement