Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rookie's diary part two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

When is Frankfurt?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Start July

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

tunney wrote: »
    Right so an assessment of Frankfurt

Tango - 4:59 400m TT recently so swimming well, long run up to two hours and riding well, looking lean
    Gary - 6:38 400m TT, running well, riding very well, very lean
    Fran - pulled from pool by life guard during 400m TT, not riding his bike since Ben raised the saddle and hid the allen keys, running 3hr marathons +/- 5 minutes. Great power to height ratio.
    Eoin - no idea on swim or bike but running two hours
    Colm - won't be starting

Me - Glenda wants me to bin Frankfurt, I've missed 6 weeks training due to injury and work is absolutely nuts. I've fat and unfit, but I've not looked forward to a races as much as this since Austria 2010.

Tunney - Broke his seatpost in half and cannot ride his bike. Jury still out on him being a DNS for this. I have heard it's due to concerns of being beaten by an untrained hobbit.
    Gary will go close to 9.30/40 and Tango will go sub 10.

My all time record for getting to work (obeying lights) is just under 12 minutes.

Done when I was race fit, on my good road bike, at 0530

When reasonably fit, on my fixie and in traffic and obeying lights 20 minutes. (breaking lights does not affect time I find)

When my knee at its worst recently I was riding Glenda's Giant Defy triple to work with runners and toe clips (easy gearing, freewheel and lots of float) - 32 minutes.

Back on the bike 2-3 weeks ago and 25 minutes, slowly drifting downwards but stubbornly around 22 (I don't push it or aim for a time but an easy spin into work tells me how my body and legs are). 19:50 this morning and feel like I can turn the pedals again - time to get back on the road bike and back on the turbo.

Woke up last night and had a conversation with myself:
    "You've not really ran in months"
    "You've not bike trained in 3 years"
    "You've not swim trained in 4 years"
    "You're fat as a fool"
    "Fran hasn't biked in a year"
    "Fran hasn't swam in months and wasn't the mae west to start"
    "Fran has a habit of disasters"
    "Not much better yourself"
    "Frankfurt - two months, really? REALLY?"

• Advertisement

Training for Frankfurt hasn't happened. I'm in the worst shape I've been in in the last 12 years or so. I'm fat as a fool and slammed in work.

The hobbits training has happened either. While not fat and run fit the swim and bike have been neglected by him (on his tod the last while so...)

That being said I'm still doing Frankfurt. So is the Hobbit. So my one goal is to smack the hobbit around.

Swim - I can take 20 minutes out of him there, 30-40 if non wetsuit. Bike - I can match him. Run I will give up time. At least in a straight marathon I would. This is not a straight marathon, this is an Ironman - what happens from 21km to 42km is a different story.

Some numbers as a introduction to the Quest to Bash the Hobbit

2014 to 18th April

Swim : 17.8km
    Bike: 1256.9km (112km not commuting)
    Run: 290.32km

Weight 13stone

Swim is obvious shockingly low, run is low too, bike is much lower than it appears as only 112km or just over 7 hours was actual training, the rest was commuting.

Just for the craic

2009 to 18th April
    Swim : 133.5km
    Bike: 3500km (2257km training)
    Run: 561km

Weight 10st 7

2010 to 18th April
    (Aoibhe born 3/1/2010)

Swim: 46.4km
    Bike: 2300km (994km training)
    Run: 295km

Weight 10st 5

So basically I've no reason to think I can complete an Ironman other than being stubborn. Fvck it anyways. As long as at the point I collapse and get hospitalised its a foot further than when the Hobbit collapses

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I love reading your log.

But sometimes I wish that instead of writing about training.

You would just go out.

And fcuking train.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

Oryx wrote: »
    I love reading your log.

You would just go out.

And fcuking train.

It needed to be said :)

Oryx wrote: »
    I love reading your log.

You would just go out.

And fcuking train.
    ray o wrote: »
    It needed to be said :)

+1

Friday 18th April

Lunch run
    http://www.strava.com/activities/131508898
    Time: 49:40
    Dist: 10.1km
    Pace: 4:55 min/km
    HR: 156bpm

Lunch run. All I will have time for today. Busy this evening and this morning was a write off. Both kids acting up at night (think she is jumping on the bandwagon and he is having nightmares, usually shouting "I WANT DADDY, I WANT DADDY", he is a cuddly as can be then in bed with you but once he falls asleep he will hammer the sh1t out of you, and he is big for his age and strong too), given the lack of sleep and still not 100% over the post viral I slept in (throw in a healthy dose of bad habits).

Anyways, sunny t-shirt and shorts run. Some complaints from right patella tendon and either the ITB or hamstring insertion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I haven't had an unbroken nights sleep all week. It must be the full moon that had them playing up :confused:

One of the reasons I struggle in the morning with training is the kids, I like to chat and play before I go to work. Aoibhe doesn't *really* care too much about the mornings but Eoin does. He hates me going to work, as soon as I touch lycra he starts shouting "no go no go, no door NO DOOR".

This morning Eoin didn't want me to go to work again and I explained I had to go to get money for food and toys. Aoibhe shouted "and the house daddy, if you had no work we would lose the house and then we'd have no way to live and couldn't stay in Dublin". She is four, where she got this from I don't know. Second time recently she said something like this so I sat her down and explained that regardless what happened she'd always have the play house to live in (I didn't I was serious)

Anyways, training wise. Rode my bike at the weekend, rec fem and patella tendon held out so happy days 145bpm, 162AP, 201 NP. Felt surprisingly good.

A decent bit of running yesterday. Knee *mostly* okay. Hip Flexors not loose enough and belly too big to allow proper running but I will persevere in the hope of returning to form. Nothing like the feeling of floating over the ground!

Club swim last night, first swim in 6 weeks. Form there, Tango reckons if I do his sets for the ten weeks a 64 swim would be in order.

Would give me 20 minutes on the hobbit (30-40 if non wetsuit)
    He might take 10 minutes out of me on the bike.
    And the other 10 minutes would be gone in the first 20km on the run.
    But then its all about mental strength and experience and I should put about 30 minutes into him in the back end of the marathon.

That sounds like fighting talk!!
    Would give me 20 minutes on the hobbit (30-40 if non wetsuit)
    I don't have one arm, 10-15mins at most
    He might take 10 minutes out of me on the bike.
    Likely
    And the other 10 minutes would be gone in the first 20km on the run.
    But then its all about mental strength and experience and I should put about 30 minutes into him in the back end of the marathon.
    Haha, if you put 30mins into me on the marathon i will buy you a pint.

Any way, not playing this game, you sabotaged my food last time in Roth as it's the only way you could stay ahead of me:)

That sounds like fighting talk!!

I don't have one arm, 10-15mins at most

But you cannot swim
    Likely

Haha, if you put 30mins into me on the marathon i will buy you a pint.

Any way, not playing this game, you sabotaged my food last time in Roth as it's the only way you could stay ahead of me:)

Mentally weak :)

Right so Frankfurt is "just going to happen" according to my wife. I'll go and have a laugh and that's that - I'm told.

Darren - out of the water 25 minutes ahead of me, bike faster, run the same
    Gary - out of the water 5 behind me, bike faster, run alot faster
    (Neither will bike as much faster as they think, but that says more about their training than mine)
    Fran - option 1 - wetsuit, 10 minutes down in the water, 10 faster on the bike, 20 faster on the run
    Fran - option 2 - non wetsuit 20 minutes down in the water, slower on the bike, same run
    Eoin - same swim, given the coffee stop club he trains with, 1.25 hours slower on the bike, same run

My predictions and I am happy with that.

After that thats the end of my triathlon days for 1-3 years. Uimhir a trí due mid October so not going to try and juggle everything. Going to do the marathon in October and concentrate on running until #3 is two or so. I'll still swim and bike if I want but no races, then will see what will happen! Still doing the coaching though, will help me stay current!

Interesting times ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Congratulations ... and best of luck with the lads trip away ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

interested wrote: »
    Congratulations ... and best of luck with the last lads trip away ;)
    +1 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Congratulations to you and the better half.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

A bit of a baby boom on boards then. Congrats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

BTH wrote: »
    A bit of a baby boom on boards then. Congrats.

News??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

congrats Dave, great news for you both

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

AKW wrote: »
    News??

Why do people keep asking me that.

No news, but there's been one or two others on here with recent announcements as well.

Anyways

Yesterday Eoin tried to feed the baby yesterday, jammed pasta in Glenda's bellybutton.

Plus I ran 10km yesterday and today, weight is very high 13stone 3 so need to get that down before I can run well again.

I can see why running is deemed difficult and hard - its not people are just fat :) Alot harder now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Congrats Tunney - in same boat myself, 6 month old twins, no time for cycling training (4hrs+ on a sat morning just not feasible) so just get out running - so much less time consuming. Pity I have the achilles tendon's of a 90yr old.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Congrats Tunney.

Two ----> three means a move away from man marking to zonal defence :D

Went for a swim last night. 10% of the way through the set I realised my times were well off what I had been doing in the Club sessions (only swimming last few months),
    "was the pool for the club swims short?"
    "was this pool long?"
    "was the depth difference of the pool affect times?"
    "did the temperature of the water affect the density and thereby the times?"
    "Was northside water slower?"
    "Did the design of the pool walls mean my turns were slower and was that the reason?"

Then I realised that the difference was I was distracted, not focused and not working. Problem identified and then times came back in line.

Very sluggish run at lunch today and a sore lower back. Think my shoe selection is off. Need to dig out the fat bloke shoes. Also I have finally accepted that I have been grossly overestimating my residual fitness. Roth and Frankfurt I got done off the back of the Austria training. Thats faded now and I've realised I've been deluding myself Frankfurt 2014 will be horrific.

You were being very hopeful on the residual fitness bit :) You cycle to work which is more than what 80% of the country are doing!

Work nuts, only going to get worse. Stress through the roof.

Eoin going to playschool and the change means he is getting very bad nightmares. Sleep through the floor.

Sister in law and husband living with us now (small three bed semi).

Doing what I can.

Run Monday, hard club swim Monday. Little sleep.
    Long long day in work Tuesday so only managed a run Tuesday. Little sleep.
    Fvcking horrific day, early in and late out of work and no lunch. Was going to head home and have a glass of red but ran instead. Again little sleep.

Dragged my ass out of bed for a run this morning. See where the rest of the day goes. Not shaping up to be a nice day though

• Advertisement

Double run day. No real distance in either but hope to tougher up legs, mind and relearn form. A little flick with my left indicating I'm over recruiting TFL and need to work on running from HF, glutes and hammers more.

Getting serious pressure to get back training properly and racing again. Been told I'm giving the marathon a good crack. Sure why not. Entered the 5 miler (27min PB), 10km (34min PB), 10 miler(57min pb), half (1:20 pb but off the bike). Not expected to PB anything but expecting to learn to suffer again. 5 miler a week before Frankfurt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement