Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rookie's diary part two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Its most likely going to be non wetsuit which is fine knowing in advance rather than it being a big surprise the day before. Lake temps gone up again to 23.5c and its due to get warmer over the next 4 weeks.

Considering doing the 2.7k Boyne Swim at the weekend as NW to see if i drown but reckon it might be too cold to spending up to an hour in it.

I believe some of drogheda tri did it last week and its scheduled to go off when the tide is on way out so will be quite fast. They did it in 38 mins because of tide

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Its most likely going to be non wetsuit which is fine knowing in advance rather than it being a big surprise the day before. Lake temps gone up again to 23.5c and its due to get warmer over the next 4 weeks.

Considering doing the 2.7k Boyne Swim at the weekend as NW to see if i drown but reckon it might be too cold to spending up to an hour in it.

This is still open - be a decent tester before FF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I believe some of drogheda tri did it last week and its scheduled to go off when the tide is on way out so will be quite fast. They did it in 38 mins because of tide

Not going to bother so if its the case
    griffin100 wrote: »
    This is still open - be a decent tester before FF.

Have just decided to hit a local lake, long swim with half in wetsuit and half in skins, hopefully temps will be warm enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Not going to bother so if its the case

Have just decided to hit a local lake, long swim with half in wetsuit and half in skins, hopefully temps will be warm enough.

Counting on non wetsuit and not going to embarrass myself by trying to fit in mine.

Training - so so.

Took my TT bike out of the bike box last year. Been used last at a stag (LCDs) and a year before that in Roth). Found most of the parts and put it together. Will try it tonight and if all is fine that will do me for Frankfurt.

• Advertisement

Friday

"Did you see the game last night?..............."
    "What a game last night............"
    "Great game last night.............."
    "Man I'm wrecked from staying up to see the game last night........."

Gets tiresome quickly

Monday

"Did you see the stage of the Criterium du Dauphine, epic finish wasn't it. I wasn't sure that AC would do it but it was great to CF and Team Sky fvck it up"
    "No David I didn't see that, I've no interest in cycling. Oh........"

tunney wrote: »
    Training - so so.

Took my TT bike out of the bike box last year. Been used last at a stag (LCDs) and a year before that in Roth). Found most of the parts and put it together. Will try it tonight and if all is fine that will do me for Frankfurt.

Booked in with the man with the tan for tomorrow. I hurt my back and neck last week and by two hours on the TT bike they were unbearable. Normally comfortable. Also need to shave the nads, hairy nads and TT saddle do not mix.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

#

"Did you see the stage of the Criterium du Dauphine, epic finish wasn't it. I wasn't sure that AC would do it but it was great to CF and Team Sky fvck it up"

i've one guy where i works that follows cycling, everyone else thinks we have 4 heads when we start talking about it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Monday

I sky+'ed the stage and even though I knew the result I watched it last night when the kids and wife went to bed. It was feckin great. My wife thinks I'm mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

Friday

"Did you see the game last night?..............."
    "What a game last night............"
    "Great game last night.............."
    "Man I'm wrecked from staying up to see the game last night........."

Gets tiresome quickly

Monday

agree with all of above and i have to say the last few stages were compulsive/brilliant viewing, except for the eurosport commentators love affair with all things team sky!! jeez they never stopped even when CF was well gone

• Advertisement

Man with the Tan today. Expect to be utterly abused about being a fat fvcker and fair is fair - one of the things I love about Dave is that a spade is always a spade.

At this stage I just want IMde to be over so I can try and focus on something achievable and realistic.

Okay so my long run is up to 10km.
    My long swim 2km.
    My long bike 130km.

Some of our club had their accommodation fail through. Nope mine fine.
    Rang there to get my bike on the plane and thought "maybe won't be room". Nope Lufthansa, no problems.

C0ck. Looks like I'll have to face this humiliation.

If I finish and get around in under 12 hours thats going to be chalked down to a success. Not an achievement, but a success.

Feck it. Should be a laugh.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ah, stop complaining you wimp and just get it done.

Oryx wrote: »
    Ah, stop complaining you wimp and just get it done.

I wasn't really complaining and more whinging.

On a plus note :

my lunch running route + this weather == epic bappage

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I wasn't really complaining and more whinging.
    It all just sounds like waaaaaah! from here.

Id give my right foot (ba dum tish) to do it, so man up ya big girls blouse. :D

(I hear you thrive on tough love)

Turns out the neck and back problems were work related. Joys of multiple monitors and stuff.

Off topic but the one thing I would say about triathlon is that over the last decade I've made some good friends. Cheers.

Roll in to Frankfurt

frankfurt-small.png

Grey == unplanned or metrics
    Green == completed
    Red == not done or incomplete
    Pink == run
    Blue == swim
    Green == bike
    Yellow == race

Comments welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Why no purple? Do you not like the color purple?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Why no purple? Do you not like the color purple?

Don't think its configurable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Ah, that's too bad then.

“Mammy, when everyone dies who’ll be left on the planet?”
    “People - more babies will be born and will live on Earth”
    “Mammy, does everyone die?”
    “Yes Aoibhe”
    “Awwwwwwww, we our skeletons go into museums when we die?”
    “No Aoibhe”
    “Is that just for animals and dinosaurs Mammy?”
    “Yes Aoibhe”
    “Where will our skeletons go Mammy?”
    “I don’t know let me think about it”
    “Mammy when you and Daddy die who will look after me and Eoin? Will the new baby look after us when it gets bigger?”

Seemingly this converation was my fault. #skyfairies

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

question more than comment

bike looks low? is that the one you trust?

mossym wrote: »
    question more than comment

bike looks low? is that the one you trust?

No opportunity to get out on the bike this weekend, would ideally have gotten a few hours in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Roll in to Frankfurt

frankfurt-small.png

Grey == unplanned or metrics
    Green == completed
    Red == not done or incomplete
    Pink == run
    Blue == swim
    Green == bike
    Yellow == race

Comments welcome

Relative to your current week, the TSS looks quite high for your next week and so not really applying a taper to freshen up?

Is this more a case of maximising fitness in given training opportunities, or a case of current week actually being your freshen up week and race better in week 2 so to speak?

agreed on above, low bike volume but what can you do.
    Almost swimming and running too much relative to bike volume imo, would you not be better swapping 1 or 2 of them for a turbo?

Also, your race time is off... I reckon you'll be closer to 11... ;):)

Fazz wrote: »
    Relative to your current week, the TSS looks quite high for your next week and so not really applying a taper to freshen up?

Is this more a case of maximising fitness in given training opportunities, or a case of current week actually being your freshen up week and race better in week 2 so to speak?

agreed on above, low bike volume but what can you do.
    Almost swimming and running too much relative to bike volume imo, would you not be better swapping 1 or 2 of them for a turbo?

Also, your race time is off... I reckon you'll be closer to 11... ;):)

A taper would suggest I am tapering FROM something :)

Its a case of maximising what I can. Fitness is too late to achieve. Neuromusclar recruitment, and recruitment patterns, that I can affect and that is the intention.

I agree on bike volume as well. May see what I can do. I do do 20km a day of over-geared cycling as well though :)

Closer to 11? doubt it. I've done feck all. Just looking forward to IMde being over and forgetting about tri and serious training - both the planning of and then guilt of not doing.

All I want from IMde is a smile on my face in the finishers photo and a nice pint of german beer afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I think ideally you need some time on your feet at whatever pace feels relaxed. Given your longest run is 10k i would say this needs looked at more so than bike, i think you will be fine on the bike for IMde.

It would really need to be this weekend or early next week. Not sure of the physical benefits of a 2hr/2.5hr long run will give you at this stage but mentally it could certainly help.

Looks like a wetsuit swim - c0ck.

Anyways onto happier thoghts

Eoin calls water "bubbles". Lions are "rars"
    At the zoo yesterday he really liked the "bubbles rars" (sea lions)

Ceratopsians are "urrr rars", the rhinos confused him for a bit until he decide they were just "urrrrs"

Turns up I mixed up my Week 26 tasks/appointments and my Week 27 ones. So the whole plan gone out the window.

Today now just an easy run. Which was done. I had been debating which shoes to use in the IM. I've gotten used to a higher ramp and two adventures with a lower ramp - what I was used to - have not gone well. Mizuno Wave I think for the IM.

• Advertisement

Tempted to join either a running club. Or a cycling club. Suppose the decision is what sport am I going to do in two weeks time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement