Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rookie's diary part two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

As the hour grows nearer its time to think kit. Actually I've been thinking kit for a while "what will I fit in" etc etc.

However there was one piece of kit that I had not paid attention to - shoes.

I had a preferred shoe. Kinvara or Mirage. But they assumed a certain weight, and a certain style that is not achievable with my present fitness and weight. Additionally there is the requirement for more cushioning to compensate for weight. And they just haven't been working for me recently

I had plenty of other runners so I went through them all to find one that worked for me now. Unfortunately I couldn't find one. I narrowed it down to the Saucony Grid 6 or the Mizuno Wave Rider 17. Unfortunately the Mizuno left my legs a little battered and something not quite right with the tibialis anterior. Not hugely wrong but extrapolating out.........

A call to Amphian King West, a chat about what I was running in the problems and feelings. I learnt that the Wave Rider was a 12mm ramp that felt like a 10 due to the nature of the cushioning but lacked a little in cushioning for someone of my "stature". More importantly that the Grid had horizontal ridges on the sole pattern that may be affecting how free my foot is and how it rolls. Once described how it would feel and how other shoes won't feel like that it was an "ahhhh ha" moment.

Plan is to test one other pair of shoes with "tangential ridges" that may suit my foot strike more - Brooks Flow. If they work then a Saucony Ride 7 or Saucony Triumph would be recommended. If they do no then some Heelies were recommended.

And that, my friends, is why my LSS (Local Shoe Shop) is in Galway (or Limerick depending on the day of the week)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

I like the flow, will be wearing them for kilkee tomorrow. Got them the same place.

They seem to hit that nice spot of feeling fast while giving a bit of cushioning. Prefer them to Kinvara by a significant margin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Bought a pair of the saucony triumph in amk in ballymount today - the guy there was really helpful and knowledgable. Feel great so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Got a pair of flow off the same shotgun wielding maniac. My longer run shoe, very happy with them.

So I woke up yesterday as nervous as can be. Tummy in knots over a five mile race. I took as a sign of how bad things had gotten that I got so nervous for a five miler. Lined up in the "elite wave". Chuckled that sub forty was elite and them just ran. Suffered but endured until a km to go and then I lost focus. Waddled over the line just over 32 minutes. A slightly long course I averaged 3:58 per km and 184bpm with a max of 194bpm.

I had obviously pushed too hard and my and tummy are not happy.

Off to the zoo with the reptile house being the big hit. Urine now dark orange. Started to get worried. If this is how I feel before and after a five miler what about the ironman. Home and then around four started puking and temperature up to 39. Up all night getting sick. Today Aoibhe the same and now cuddled up in bed talking turns vomiting in a bucket.

So appears it was not nerves and over exertion but a tummy bug. Glenda going downhill and depending his long to takes to shift this I may be going no where.

• Advertisement

So Aoibhe got the tummy bug and vomiting all weekend, then Glenda (five months pregnant got it), I've had to come to work while sick (the joys) and the rest are at home. Eoin really WANTS to be sick and keeps grabbing bowls and buckets and pretending to get sick. He is fine though.

Noises are being made about "we're going nowhere this week" but I'm not accepting that just yet.

Regardless this day next week whether I:
    • Do not travel to Frankfurt
    • Travel to Frankfurt but DNS
    • Travel to Frankfurt, start but DNF
    • Travel, race and finish
    I'll no longer be a triathlete. Now I can hear someone loudly shouting in a german accent "but you have not been a triathlete in years fattie". Yup thats probably true but the problem was I wanted to be, I kept entering big races and promising myself that things would be different. They never were.

Of my training group 50% are quitting triathlon this year (some 14 years in the sport, some 3-4) by and large all are going to cycling as their sport. I'm tempted to do so, but I love running too. I love the lack of expense, the ease of training and the fact that I'm more suited to it. The five miler at the weekend, while sick and slow, I loved. The suffering, the pain but also the comradery on the hills and when things got tough.

Plus with #3 due in October bike racing would be tough. I'm doing the 10k, 10miler, half and then the marathon. Then I will reassess. But it looks like this day next week I'll either have to move this mlog (moaning log) to the running forum or quit. Most likely the latter!

thresold.png

Interesting..........

Year to date

Swim: 30km
    Pure Bike: 577km
    Run: 565km

84 hours training

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

tunney wrote: »
    Year to date

Swim: 30km
    Pure Bike: 577km
    Run: 565km

84 hours training

Is that the operation transformation training plan ? :)

• Advertisement

Is that the operation transformation training plan ? :)

Seems that way alright

Easy tester run at lunch. First run since "the bug". Had intended on an easy 8km but a hastily scheduled meeting meant that got cut to 6km. Which is good as the bug hadn't completely gone, just changed directly. Lower back and hammers in a jock. Will have to address tonight.

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/532321467

mumbles about a slow monkey catching something.....

So I am going to ignore Bryan, and chuckle like a manic while sitting over google docs on Thursday for the other lad, and continue on.

Assuming I start on Sunday:
    Swim: 1:20
    Bike: 6:00
    Run 4:40

12 hours, start around 0630, in pub by 2000, well thats the plan anyways.

I've promised Glenda that if I start and if I get to the run and if I experienced any stabbing pains that I'll tell Fran to stop biting my kneecaps DNF, that if I feel dizzy I'll get off the merry go round DNF, that if I lose all form on the waddle run I'll DNF. To be honest its going to take a miracle for a finish and I am fine with that. I'm drawing a line under an unpleasant period in my life and this will enable be to close that era off and move on.

For the sake of the lads that I am going with that have done the work (Darren, Gary, Richie) I hope that the weather is good, that they have no mechanicals and they get the result that they deserve. Fran, I hope he has an uneventful race - I think if he can achieve this he will have a good day. If he hasn't passed me by 10km on the bike something is up.

Sunday will be a sad day as realistically it will be my last time doing an Ironman and I wanted to go out in a different way. That being said I intend to make my way around the course with a smile on my face and love in my heart. Its going to be a good day/weekend no matter what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Sunday will be a sad day as realistically it will be my last time doing an Ironman and I wanted to go out in a different way. That being said I intend to make my way around the course with a smile on my face and love in my heart. Its going to be a good day/weekend no matter what happens.[/QUOTE]

"And the award for best actor in a drama or miniseries goes to...."

;)

Kidding, but in the words of Cher in Moonstruck...."snap out of it!" Definitely make your way around the course with a smile on your face and love in your heart, but unless you can predict the future with some fancy crystal ball (that I definitely want to know about if you do have because I want to borrow it for a weekend - I'll even pay the shipping!!), then you may very well be doing an Ironman at some point down the road. Never say never....and anything is possible if you want it. Either way, have a great time...and enjoy yourself. I'm really, really, really hoping you'll finish in one piece and have an epic tale to tell for us all to read! :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    "And the award for best actor in a drama or miniseries goes to...."
    ;)

People hardly read this for the training content, its the hyperbole and exaggeration that people love!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

People hardly read this for the training content, its the hyperbole and exaggeration that people love!
    I read it to feel better about my own life.

Anyway, run, fatboy, run. Its not your last, its your last for now. Soak it up and have a great day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Sunday will be a sad day as realistically it will be my last time doing an Ironman and I wanted to go out in a different way.

What's to stop you coming back and doing an ironman in 5 years time when kids have grown up a little? I think I remember a few years ago (maybe 2010) you put all your tri equipment up for sale and said that was that. I think I'll take this retirement with a pinch of salt ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I agree with TRR. I've been waiting to swoop in on some nice wheels etc for a while now, but there's been a few false dawns regarding the Big Tunney Gear Clearout which has never materialised.

Enjoy the weekend, hope it goes well (i.e. fun).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

80 minute swim?

Come on now, even Fran can do an 80 minute swim.

• Advertisement

2014-five-miler.png

When I saw the email in my mailbox "see photos of your five mile race" I filled with dread. I knew what I would see.

The belly on me is disgusting and disgraceful.

On a massively plus side I amn't firmly rooted to the ground with one leg like a tree trunk as I thought I would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Assuming I start on Sunday:
    Swim: 1:20
    Bike: 6:00
    Run 4:40

12 hours, start around 0630, in pub by 2000, well thats the plan anyways.

My prediction is you'll do the swim closer to 1.05-1.08. You'll get on the bike, forget about taking it handy, revert to type and try and race the whole 180km coming in under 6hrs (5.45-5.50). Out of pure Tunney stubbornness you'll refuse to walk on the marathon and come in around 3.50ish. Total time sub 11hrs ;) Alternately you'll die. Either way I'll be tracking you (and the Hobbit and Tango)
    Sunday will be a sad day as realistically it will be my last time doing an Ironman and I wanted to go out in a different way. That being said I intend to make my way around the course with a smile on my face and love in my heart. Its going to be a good day/weekend no matter what happens.

I've been on Boards long enough to remember your first retirement and the sale of your gear. You've had more comebacks than Rocky. I'm sure you'll be back. Although if you become a runner you could move to the 'athletics' forum. I might actually start reading it again if you do :pac:

Best of luck the weekend and remember to enjoy it - that's why we do these things right??

2014-five-miler.png

you're even ahead of someone.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Oryx wrote: »
    I read it to feel better about my own life.

Anyway, run, fatboy, run. Its not your last, its your last for now. Soak it up and have a great day.
    TRR wrote: »
    What's to stop you coming back and doing an ironman in 5 years time when kids have grown up a little? I think I remember a few years ago (maybe 2010) you put all your tri equipment up for sale and said that was that. I think I'll take this retirement with a pinch of salt ;)

Yes I did throw my toys out of the pram in 2010. By that stage I was already sick but just didn't know it and that was the beginning of the end for me.
    Basster wrote: »
    I agree with TRR. I've been waiting to swoop in on some nice wheels etc for a while now, but there's been a few false dawns regarding the Big Tunney Gear Clearout which has never materialised.

Enjoy the weekend, hope it goes well (i.e. fun).

I hope I never stop swimming, cycling and running, so there is unlikely to be a clear out.

I do agree with the sentiments above though. There is nothing stopping me doing another ironman in a 4,5,6,7,20 years. However for now I need to forget them, draw a line, build a bridge, whatever cliché you want. For me to get back into the athletic lifestyle I once enjoyed, both for myself, a good example for my kids and for work (I am MUCH more productive and organised when training), I need too take baby steps back to that lifestyle. That involves running. Running lots. I like running. Its time efficient. I'm not bad at it. My kids love the races, and my wife REALLY wants me to do them and get back training.

I'm not ruling out a sprint distance tri (a small one) next year, but I'm not committing to anything either.

Last thing on any future ironman. I had to make a commitment to my wife about never ever entering another one without discussing it and not entering one unless in the year before I hit certain performance metrics (to show I am back). Probably unfortunate for any future races that my wife talks swimming to Cranston, cycling to Dolan, and running with 2:3x marathoners.

A lad from Limerick TC (Horgan), who probably doesn't remember this conversation that we had almost five years ago but its one I will always remember. "You can always do Ironman in your fifties, your kids are young once, enjoy them". I enjoy my kids, when they all tell me to "get lost dad, you're embarrassing me" then maybe I'll think long again. However for the moment I'm the best dad around as I found a book about dinosaurs and diggers in which a magical digger protects baby dinosaurs from a big t-rex, yes he was conflicting about his two favourite things in the world fighting but eventually he got over it and saw the epicness.

80 minute swim?

Come on now, even Fran can do an 80 minute swim.

No Fran has said based on swimming on his own in a small lake and/or swimming pool he will swim 80. if he gets out of frankfurt in 80 then he can swim 80.

I can do a good 400m, I'll be good to 2km, then I will fade horrifically.
    griffin100 wrote: »
    My prediction is you'll do the swim closer to 1.05-1.08. You'll get on the bike, forget about taking it handy, revert to type and try and race the whole 180km coming in under 6hrs (5.45-5.50). Out of pure Tunney stubbornness you'll refuse to walk on the marathon and come in around 3.50ish. Total time sub 11hrs ;) Alternately you'll die. Either way I'll be tracking you (and the Hobbit and Tango)

I've been on Boards long enough to remember your first retirement and the sale of your gear. You've had more comebacks than Rocky. I'm sure you'll be back. Although if you become a runner you could move to the 'athletics' forum. I might actually start reading it again if you do :pac:

Best of luck the weekend and remember to enjoy it - that's why we do these things right??

I would rather delete my account than go to the "athletics" board.

105-108 won't happen. If it did it would mean a big trip to Painafornia and I'm not sure I want to go there so early.

What happens happens.

mossym wrote: »
    you're even ahead of someone.

One good result and you get all cocky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

When I saw the email in my mailbox "see photos of your five mile race" I filled with dread. I knew what I would see.

The belly on me is disgusting and disgraceful.

On a massively plus side I amn't firmly rooted to the ground with one leg like a tree trunk as I thought I would be.

You know your stuff, so not a preach, just a reminder - easy to get away with overeating when IM training and the like.

I've gone LCHF (and eat like a king) and never been leaner and felt better despite doing less than ever before (including 4 weeks post a small appendix op of doing nothing and still improving body composition). I always tried to out train my diet (near impossible). I'd add back in some more carbs if the volume was there but it's not. Imo high carb diets aren't suited to being sedentary.

Anyway just posted to remind you that time available for training and weight are separate issues and don't have to go hand in hand.

And I definitely agree it's running you should be doing not bike racing (far less time consuming, no faffing with bike and gear and no risk of weeks off work with a broken collarbone/shoulder etc.)

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

A lad from Limerick TC (Horgan), who probably doesn't remember this conversation that we had almost five years ago but its one I will always remember. "You can always do Ironman in your fifties, your kids are young once, enjoy them". I enjoy my kids, when they all tell me to "get lost dad, you're embarrassing me" then maybe I'll think long again. However for the moment I'm the best dad around as I found a book about dinosaurs and diggers in which a magical digger protects baby dinosaurs from a big t-rex, yes he was conflicting about his two favourite things in the world fighting but eventually he got over it and saw the epicness.

he does every road race these days pushing a buggy and passing most people, his kids have a great time

• Advertisement

One good result and you get all cocky.

ain't that the truth.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement