Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rookie's diary part two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

BennyMul wrote: »
    there could be a new motto out of this when we are all suffering WWTD
    what would Tunney do:)

She is some woman.
    What? Tunney walked?! :eek::D

Ah no, seriously well done pulling through and toughing it out, fighting the demons and crossing the line! I was concerned for a while tracking you. Respect

Cheers for the report, good read. I half expected a one liner. I do believe all that suffering rounded some edges :)

Tunney would have crawled to finish.

Monday 8th July 2014

The day after Frankfurt - exhausted and drained. I cannot walk, my achilles tendons are in bits. I wish I had my CEP compression socks with me.

Tuesday 9th July 2014

Socks on and can walk but in pain. In with Dave tomorrow. Hope I have not done much damage. At a loss as to what to do now. Ironman has been everything for seven years. Albeit serious training only for the first three but still its always been there. Now nothing.

Wednesday 10th July 2014

Could be a while before I am training again. Left achilles tendon is particularly bad. Feel liberated but lost.

Glenda seriously on top of me on diet and weight loss. Today was the first day in a year(ish - lost all data when I smashed my phone) that my BMI didn’t register as overweight. Food diary here ( https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Bj1_sVF3ZThOL5daVxM7rE_bZ0paka_AQ2EWWIJGfcY/edit?usp=sharing)

The Man with the Tan looked at the achilles. Was amazed that I did the IM in my state. Seemingly as far as achilles injuries go, this is the one to have. I should be okay in a week or so. Thankfully I’m experienced enough to know that sometimes stretching is the worst thing to do and I didn’t try and stretch it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

have a BUCKET of wine, a few WEEKS sleep and then think about riding your bike whenever you want and TRYING TO WALK without a limp again
    :)

interested wrote: »
    "Ironman has been everything for seven years. Albeit serious training only for the first three but still its always been there. Now nothing."

Hope you're feeling better - in every sense.
    How long you been a dad ? a husband ? a biker ? a runner ? 'into computers' ? .... 'everything for 7 years' .... 'now nothing'

I'm guessing its the tiredness ? the fatigue ? wearing you down in every way ... grab some lego ... grab some paints ... grab a sheet and make a tent .. or a bike box / cardboard box and slide down the stairs .... go jump off the bull wall without a wetsuit ... the feeling will pass ....

'nothing' ? What would the online 'Tunney' tell the 'Tunney' that wrote the above ?

Like you did Saturday. Keep movin'.

:)

I left context out. "Everything" in the context of personal "me time". Only hobby, only personal target.

The personal aspect obviously pales into perspective compared to fatherhood and marriage, I was only talking about from a "what do you do in your spare time Dave" context.

The sense of "down" I think comes from part anti-climax, large part utter utter exhaustion.

If it was one of my lads I'd tell them to "have a glass of wine, a few nights sleep and then think about riding your bike whenever you want and then give me a shout"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Well done tunney, great race report, makes me have second thoughts about ever doing an ironman though!

• Advertisement

Trig1 wrote: »
    Well done tunney, great race report, makes me have second thoughts about ever doing an ironman though!

Thanks!
    Just train properly. Suffer before the day not on the day!

Thursday 10th July 2014

Dave had told me to do a tester short run today. Flat and easy. So I did flat and easy. First fifteen fine and then an awareness from the right Achilles. Got onto him after and he told me to stay off it and get back in with him next week.

http://tpks.ws/SCNg

Oh well

Friday 11th July 2014

I did ignore Dave's advice and I did run at lunch. However I changed my shoes to be a higher ramp but also a heel (cuff? achilles notch?). Run was completed without incident.

More rolling with a tp roller (much better for calves) and some more love and see how it goes.

I am definitely in the camp of having multiple shoes - all of which suit your foot/gait but all of which have very different characteristics.

*Just* remembered something from IM Frankfurt. After one of the cobbles section there was a downhill, JUST before the start of the downhill I saw a DI2 battery pack on the ground. Must have sucked for that person when they got to the bottom of the hill and tried to shift gears...........

Weekend was a write off. Tired and wrecked - the whole house. From the vommiting bug into the IM and then some friends over for dinner Friday night. I gave into it all and just chilled for the weekend.

• Advertisement

Monday 15th July 2014

Weekly weigh in 12 st 8.4

Lunch run. A whole 30 minutes. No issues. Wore the Mizuno Wave Riders again and I had KT taped my Achilles for support, and impact protection.

Was going to turbo last night but got home and went to bed instead basically. Still tired. I'm not a great sleeper at the best of time and with work being the way it is it may take a while to catch up on sleep.

“Daddy for Christmas I want a remote control Ornithocheirus?”
    “What’s a ornitooysuionhsdh?”
    “Its one of the largest Pterosaurs, it had a wingspan like a man and a crest on its beak”
    “And you want a remote control flying dinosaur for Christmas?”
    “Yes. And a teddy one for my birthday.”

monkey.png

Finally figured out why I am so tired the last two weeks - sympathetic pregnancy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

tunney wrote: »
    Finally figured out why I am so tired the last two weeks - sympathetic pregnancy!

A deadly disease... Up there with manflu... Look after yoself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

A deadly disease... Up there with manflu... Look after yoself :)

Sh1t, I better look into this before I commit to anything...

BTH wrote: »
    Sh1t, I better look into this before I commit to anything...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couvade_syndrome
    These most often include minor weight gain, altered hormone levels, morning nausea, and disturbed sleep patterns. In more extreme cases, symptoms can include labor pains, postpartum depression, and nosebleeds

No better way to pi$$ the sh1t out of a pregnant woman that to complain about "how hard this sympathetic pregnancy is"

Week 29

Monday
    Run - 0:30, 6km
    http://tpks.ws/4Lv1
    Easy run, a little worried about achilles tendon. Taped it and changed shoe. Was okay but legs very heavy

Tuesday
    Run - 0:40, 8km
    http://tpks.ws/BA0I
    Easy run, running like a brick

Wednesday
    http://tpks.ws/8PsU
    Easy run, a little better than the last two days. At least I am aware of where things are going wrong.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Have to ask cos I wonder everytime you update. Are you training because you want to? Are you enjoying it? Dublin marathon?

Have to ask cos I wonder everytime you update. Are you training because you want to? Are you enjoying it? Dublin marathon?

I am training because I enjoy it. Even as slow and heavy as my legs were today I felt better after it, and enjoyed it during. And there is the promise of flowing while running some day again.

Marathon? I don't know. I'll give the half a crack anyways.

I've not been as excited about training as I am now in a good four years. A run focus with a bike and swim undercurrent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I've not been as excited about training as I am now in a good four years. A run focus with a bike and swim undercurrent.

This is what I was looking for. Was just wondering why you went straight back into it when it seemed that training was a drag for you pre-Ironman!

Training for the right reasons. Do the 10 mile?

This is what I was looking for. Was just wondering why you went straight back into it when it seemed that training was a drag for you pre-Ironman!

Training for the right reasons. Do the 10 mile?

Training was a drag for the ironman ad it was a mountain I couldn't climb.

10km first!

Week 29

Monday
    Run - 0:30, 6km
    http://tpks.ws/4Lv1
    Easy run, a little worried about achilles tendon. Taped it and changed shoe. Was okay but legs very heavy

Tuesday
    http://tpks.ws/BA0I
    Easy run, running like a brick

Wednesday
    http://tpks.ws/8PsU
    Easy run, a little better than the last two days. At least I am aware of where things are going wrong.

Thursday
    That nice unstructured phase, the calm before the storm, the peace before the pain, the smile before the suffering. As such I went and got my hair cut instead of going for a run. Took me about 20 minutes to make that call though. Run tomorrow, short ride Saturday and the 10km race on Sunday.

Trying to fish out old data. Weight in particular, can only find the last two years, will keep looking

weight_01_small.png

Slightly hungover but enjoyed it all
    2014 SSE Airtricity Fingal 10K
    David Tunney Gun
    Time-00:39:54 Pos-148
    Chip-00:39:47
    Rank-153
    Cat-MS CatPos-51
    See times at www.chiptimes.biz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

It's amazing what you can pull out of the bag out of shape, on little training. A sub 40 10k is a decent benchmark- imagine what you could do if you hit booze on the head for a few months?

Yesterdays race : http://tpks.ws/yWMx

Last 400m was a world of pain. Wanted the gun time and the chip time under 40, I'd started from the near(ish) to the front. Not too far up that I would get in the way, far enough that I should have been about in the right place. Some skinny blonde bird at the start of the race looked me up and down with a horrific look of derision. Yes I was a pair of compression socks and an IRL tri suit away from being Steven Moody in the Operation Transformation 5km (skins shorts, tri race t-shirt, number belt (spi belt needed somewhere for car keys), and a running hat) and yes I was the only person at that place with a belly (two stone over weight). I felt terribly out of place. I did note a few numbers of those around me just in case I had positioned myself all wrong for future reference. 4-5 minutes ahead of most around me and 8:30 ahead of skinny b1tchy blonde. Its not about the size of the chasis its about the size of the engine.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    It's amazing what you can pull out of the bag out of shape, on little training. A sub 40 10k is a decent benchmark- imagine what you could do if you hit booze on the head for a few months?

An interesting suggestion, similar to my wifes :)

Also ties nicely into my own plans :) More on that to come

First time in the Nortwood pool since April I think. A shameful thing. Made obvious when I tried to get in with my card and was told "oh we have changed the cards for the new system you'll need a new one". "Oh its been a while".

In and there is the crazy auld b1tch that cannot swim, takes 2 minutes to do 50m and refuses to let people pass, takes a whole lane up. Really puts me off the pool. Crowded lanes or crazy lady - take your pick (if cash allowed would be a different pool). Anyways she is doing some mad aqua "running" with a kick board pushed to the side, thankfully in the unlaned area. She sees me, I see her, glare and in and swim (she'd recognise me, for some reason I'm not surprised she remembers me)

In and a session, an interesting session, one not set by me so thats good. Not long nor hard but jesus I made a meal of it. How I thought I could do an IM swim with no training when a mile or so was unpleasant.....

it was done, while unpleasant it was fun and its a start!

• Advertisement

When I was getting ready to leave yesterday for the race I was putting on my gear. As soon as Eoin saw the runners going on he started roaring “GO GO GO, DADDY, GO GO GO!” He kept this up until I left and was really excited. Was cute.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement