Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rookie's diary part two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

You wore your trisuit to the 10k? :D A one piece, or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Dory Dory wrote: »

I wore a baggy t-shirt (that was a tri t-shirt, the lighest technical fibre)shirt I have, and a pair of lycra shorts!

Accordingly to the site

bottle.png

a durable bottle and a nice image.

What you got was the flimsiest bottle, made from the thinnest plastic known to man.

Also my race t-shirt had black fungus growing on it........

fingal_10km.png

I have looked better and much much leaner

Okay...so #728? Not #2318 then? ;)

• Advertisement

Okay...so #728? Not #2318 then? ;)

That would be me

Blue's a good color on you! And if the diet and toning up don't work, you can always consider Spanx! Sculpts and takes off 10 pounds magically....to give the illusion of a leaner Tunney. But again, blue's your color!!

;)

Blue's a good color on you! And if the diet and toning up don't work, you can always consider Spanx! Sculpts and takes off 10 pounds magically....to give the illusion of a leaner Tunney. But again, blue's your color!!

Versus

IMG_20140501_101637.jpg

Actually, orange works too!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

tunney wrote: »

I have looked better and much much leaner

in fairness i've met you and that finishing picture looks nothing like you. i wouldn't have guessed that was you. doesn't even look like the pic from earlier july

mossym wrote: »
    in fairness i've met you and that finishing picture looks nothing like you. i wouldn't have guessed that was you. doesn't even look like the pic from earlier july

I do look rather spasticated alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

I do look rather spasticated alright.

I was expecting a whale the way you go on about your weight! It's not as bad as that at all. I don't think you need to be as skinny as that second photo*

*speaking aesthetically from a female point of view, not a race performance related comment :)

Solobally8 wrote: »
    I was expecting a whale the way you go on about your weight! It's not as bad as that at all. I don't think you need to be as skinny as that second photo*

*speaking aesthetically from a female point of view, not a race performance related comment :)

Two stone over race weight in that photo!!

yes aesthetically its terrible, I was wearing size 28 jeans and xs t-shirts. Performance wise you float over the water.

In 2003 I ended up needing a new bike for commuting to college for my postgrad. A 30km round trip. I ended up in Cycleways and I saw a bike that looked weird. I asked what it was and was told it was a bike for triathlon. I asked what triathlon was and was told. I liked the idea and bought the bike. I started to get bike fit, I was running a bit, and started to learn to swim. Once I felt I could join a club without being a complete burden I looked into clubs. I joined the first to response to emails. I continued to try and learn to swim and then in 2004 I did my first pool sprint, first OW sprint, first OW olympic (Kilkee) and went on from there with the club approach to training - I would later come to know this as overtraining.

2005 I did every race on the calender. Complete overtrained, over raced, and lacking the base, both annual and muli-annual, I suffered horrifically in my last race of the year Kenmare. I again went with the club approach to racing "always go on 2 and go hard from the gun". For where I was this resulted in a horrific run where I experienced my first real bonk, being totally empty and spent with a long long run to go. Grey and pale and nasty I struggled to the end.

Reflecting on the year I was not informed enough to know that the approach to training and racing was terrible and I needed help. I started thinking about a coach but at that stage there was no TI coaching training and no coaches in Ireland. In hindsight this was good :)

As luck would have it others in the club wanted to get external expertise in. Coaches were brought over from the UK - Andy Blow and Rich Brady from VO2 coaching. I had two spare bedrooms so they stayed with me. I had an alterior motive. I wanted to suss them out and see how I got on with them.

Immediately I know I would get on on a personal basis very well with Rich Brady. I spent the rest of the weekend listening very carefully to everything he said and how he said it. Trying to determine could I see myself trusting him completely with my training. In the end I realised I could and I asked him to coach me.

He said yes and we kicked off pretty quickly after that. 2006 went well, 2007 even better, 2008 was epic. Weekend camps in the UK and Ireland, training camps in Italy. Met my first triathlon Olympian , had fun and got leaner and faster. Bottoming out at 10st3 just before I got married in 2007 and I found myself able to swim bike and run at a nice level. I started podiuming and winning races in 2008 and I raced half ironman races in the UK and Portugal, cumulating in a 4:11 half in Lisboa. 2009 was shaping up to be epic with my biking off the carts 240 watts held for 5 hours and feeling easy. More race wins and podiums. What happened next is well known - the bus, the broken bones, the head injuries, the stubbornness that resulted in a 1:04 swim with a fractured collar bone, the accident in T1.

2010 was another good year, focussed on addressing the demons of Austria 2009. Again we worked well together and I loved it all and the progress. My family in law referred to Rich as "Santa Claus" as I used to get excited whenever someone mentioned him. His approach to life I found refreshing and inspiring and I considered him a very good friend.

Big goals were set for 2011 in IM Frankfurt, big goals but we both thought them achievable. Little did I know the personal problems I was undergoing would derail everything. Rich did his best to bring me back on track and keep me on the straight and narrow but it just wasn't possible. We drifted apart but kept in contact, my wife views him and his wife as friends, we have kids the same age that played together on the few times they all met up. He had had a huge impact on my life and when someone has that amount of impact you don't let things go completely.

For 2011,2012,2013,2014 I drifted aimlessly. Mainly self coached I lacked the accountability, I lacked the insights of someone who knows me better than myself and is able to see me clear of the emotional colouring that one adds when considering one's self. I dabbled with help from close friends, with loved ones, but none of it worked.

Come start Q2 this year I realised that I need a coach. I need the accountability I need someone to see me for where I am, not where I want to be. I approached Rich again and told him vaguely what I would like to do for the next few years. I asked him would be be interested in effectively rebuilding me. I was hesitant as when we last worked together he was a full time coach in a boarding school that had a high performance tri squad, he had moved to working for the Welsh triathlon high performance squad and was much much busier with the demands of this new job. Much more travel and work. I took the view that if he was able to and willing then he was, if not then thats life. I was slightly hopefully as he was still working with one of the lads from the club that worked with him way back when.

We had a chat, a number of chats, and he agreed to help me in the future. There was no point in asking for help before Frankfurt as that ship had sailed. After Frankfurt I got in contact. We talked about my race and we discussed options for the rest of 2014 and 2015. Given the circles he moves in now his approach to training has moved on alot and I found the prospect of a completely new approach to training exciting, I found the idea of just getting my training in an email and just following it invigorating. I was for the first time in 4 years I was excited about training. When my training plan arrived I was like a kid at Christmas. A run focus block and then into something more balanced in a bit.

Week one back as a Monkey and I'm loving it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

When my training plan arrived I was like a kid at Christmas.

i know that feeling. it wears off..:)

Seriously though, good to see you talk not about what will happen, but what is happening, with serious actions behind it. best of luck on the start of something good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Do you ever feel you reached your true potential ?
    and (hope you don't mind this one) if no, do you ever kick yourself :o as its obvious you have natural ability and a stubborn streak to match.

like really holding 240w for the IM bike that's a nice training spin there & 4:11 half IM.

BennyMul wrote: »
    Do you ever feel you reached your true potential ?

I did the best I could with the hand that I was dealt.
    However I am not dead yet.
    and (hope you don't mind this one) if no, do you ever kick yourself :o as its obvious you have natural ability and a stubborn streak to match.

I, and many others, would disagree with the natural ability. TMWTT put it so succinctly once. "XYZ is a natural, if he had your work ethic he'd be untouchable." If you've known me for less than 4 years then the terms "tunney" and "work ethic" would seem irreconcilable, but that was not always the case.
    like really holding 240w for the IM bike that's a nice training spin there & 4:11 half IM.

The 240w was a training spin not a race, I never got to race when I was in that shape. 4:58 in Austria was done off 207 AP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

The lack of preparation indicated by your Frankfurt posts sounded like there was a lot of self-sabotage going on, unconciously or otherwise. Made for some worrying reading TBH.
    Good to hear your head is in a better place now.

Also; a 4:11 Half...respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Thanks Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

yes aesthetically its terrible, I was wearing size 28 jeans and xs t-shirts. Performance wise you float over the water.

Do you think there is a different optimum weight profile for swimming versus running? I always think fatties have an advantage in the water due to extra buoyancy... maybe its just my imagination.

EC1000 wrote: »
    Do you think there is a different optimum weight profile for swimming versus running? I always think fatties have an advantage in the water due to extra buoyancy... maybe its just my imagination.

I've been told that fatties float better.
    Hopefully I will be able to add more clarity in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Dave, delighted to see the monkey is on your back.

Good for you & the very best of enjoyment of all it brings.

I've been told that fatties float better.
    Hopefully I will be able to add more clarity in a few months.

I'm guessing if you need extra fat to help you stay afloat while swimming then you're doing something wrong. ;) Which leads me to this - hydrodynamcs.

I'm guessing if you need extra fat to help you stay afloat while swimming then you're doing something wrong. ;) Which leads me to this - hydrodynamcs.

Agree on the hydrodynamics, its all about minimising the size of the funnel - both through body position and composition.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Example of a training week back then? I know you did like 100k/160k(?) running weeks...just wondering what else you did with that and how you balanced that with work (and study?)

Good to see a bit of passion in there Dave. Frankfurt obviously weighing you down, there's nothing like reporting back to someone on the training you're doing to keep you honest too!

Example of a training week back then? I know you did like 100k/160k(?) running weeks...just wondering what else you did with that and how you balanced that with work (and study?)

I finished my research masters in 2004 so study was finished.
    Work was a full on IT job and always has been.

Training was typically
    3-4 swims a week
    5-6 runs a week
    3-4 bikes a week

A normal week would be 8-12km swimming
    Biking 170km-200km(maybe a little more depending on time of year)
    Running 40-80km(depending on time of year and focus for that year)

It was only towards the end that I was in a position - body composition, running form, injury robustness - that things went up. For one off season (Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec) that I ran lots while maintaining the swim and bike volumes. For that period 80km was a recovery week and topped out at 160km. Volume worked for me and I ran a 34 km without ever doing a speed session.

Good to see a bit of passion in there Dave. Frankfurt obviously weighing you down, there's nothing like reporting back to someone on the training you're doing to keep you honest too!

Thanks!

Continuing in the positive news vein....

Dropped a stone in the last 30 days or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Does your new plan have a run or tri focus?

• Advertisement

TRR wrote: »
    Does your new plan have a run or tri focus?

Mixed. Initally a run focused block of training with swim and bike still present, then moving into a more balance training block.

Racing wise 2014 will be just running.
    2015 will be a mix of sprint distance racing, a few olympics and 5ks and 10ks.

Not sure if that answers your question.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement