Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rookie's diary part two

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

pgibbo wrote: »
    It's a common workout in Crossfit Endurance for both bike and run, as are tabata intervals :D

1dedcb4aafd298495bb9f4cf6d027698.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Right so BTH was right, and wrong.

Training got interrupted.

I've been doing a bit, enjoying being back with the Monkey and was planning on suffering hard on Saturday at the 10 miler.

When I got into running about 12 years ago I thought the ideal prep week was a taper (ie doing fvck all), carb loading(ie over eating) and lots of sleep.

I'd be stale, bloated and stressed about sleep on race morning.

I now know what works for me and its really train lots, eat normally, forget about sleep the stress about it is worse than its absence.

My prep for the ten miler involves

Friday
    0400 up
    0500 taxi
    0630 flight to zurich
    1000 train to Basel
    1350 arrive
    1400 meetings start
    1750 meetings end
    1800 train to geneva
    2100 flight to dublin
    2300 arrive in dublin
    0000 get past passport control
    0030 home

I'll be still asleep at mile 5 but and the man with the tan is doing it.
    Last time we did this he told me before the race "don't try and stay with me the pace will be too rich for you". "fvck you dave" I thought, dropped him at mile 7 to do a low 57

I'm half tempted to try and hang with him and see where stubbornness will get me, suspect he will break the hour, could be a horrific implosion :)

Also Ray and Colm - I will collapse before I let ye beat me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

tunney wrote: »
    Right so BTH was right, and wrong.

Training got interrupted.

I've been doing a bit, enjoying being back with the Monkey and was planning on suffering hard on Saturday at the 10 miler.

When I got into running about 12 years ago I thought the ideal prep week was a taper (ie doing fvck all), carb loading(ie over eating) and lots of sleep.

I'd be stale, bloated and stressed about sleep on race morning.

I now know what works for me and its really train lots, eat normally, forget about sleep the stress about it is worse than its absence.

My prep for the ten miler involves

Friday
    0400 up
    0500 taxi
    0630 flight to zurich
    1000 train to Basel
    1350 arrive
    1400 meetings start
    1750 meetings end
    1800 train to geneva
    2100 flight to dublin
    2300 arrive in dublin
    0000 get past passport control
    0030 home

I'll be still asleep at mile 5 but and the man with the tan is doing it.
    Last time we did this he told me before the race "don't try and stay with me the pace will be too rich for you". "fvck you dave" I thought, dropped him at mile 7 to do a low 57

I'm half tempted to try and hang with him and see where stubbornness will get me, suspect he will break the hour, could be a horrific implosion :)

Unless you plan to run it in 90 minutes I think you are pretty safe.

Top things I never thought I would say :"Take that banana out of your bum Eoin!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Top things I never thought I would say :"Take that banana out of your bum Eoin!"

Obviously watching Mammy & Daddy too much :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Obviously watching Mammy & Daddy too much :)

Tunney get his missus to stick bananas up his ass? How do you know this?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Keep this up and we'll need Oryx to come in and moderate this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

This thread needs a NSFW tag....

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

So thats why tunney has one of these.
    93973-largest_BannanaHammock2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I guess technically I beat you...

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    I guess technically I beat you...

I suppose that is one way to view it

I'm at the bottom of the training ladder. I'm training but doubt anyone interested in a fatty slowly becoming less fatty and getting slowly fitter so back to stories of kids :

In doctors waiting room with the kids, Eoin (nearly 3) farted loudly. He looked at me dead pan serious and said "say excuse me daddy"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

In doctors waiting room with the kids, Eoin (nearly 3) farted loudly. He looked at me dead pan serious and said "say excuse me daddy"

A career in politics awaits that lad.

I'm training but doubt anyone interested in a fatty slowly becoming less fatty and getting slowly fitter so back to stories of kids :

should probably close mine too so...

Ah feck it people have read my training related drivel for ages, no harm in continuing.

I have to admit I am not liking, but am liking, the new running approach. I like tempo running, I like threshold running. All out running less so. But more so.

First time using bbp in ages using in the pool this week. Really drove home the important of relax but not flexed wrists and rolling to engage the lats. Also managed to come out of the swim with cuts to my face, back and legs. There is an uber aggressive old granny who deliberately gets in peoples way and I even saw her deliberately hitting someone. All to clear the lane for her horrible swimming. It works on most. 4:00 per 100m as well. Gee bag. After she got out another woman got in. Lane speed indicators would be great to stop hairy gash strokers getting in with faster swimmers. Ah well, people are cvnts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

What is bbp? That sounds like some pool :rolleyes:

What is bbp? That sounds like some pool :rolleyes:

Its a fvcking ****hole. However its cheap and local. IMHO if a pool does not have an associated swim squad no one working in the pool with grasp swimming and that actually swimming is not just an activity to do after running on a treadmill or lifting weights.

band, buoy, paddles.

In the current plan Sunday is long run day. Stuff came up and a rejig meant Long Run Thursday was back.

Up early, down to the Phoenix park, small lap and into the office.
    1:40 and 20.5km

Longest run in a good while and my hip flexors were tight to start, meant by the end my form was horrific (Tango bad) and I just wasn't loving it.

Running into work meant running home and by the end of the day my hips and quads were in a jock. A rather horrific run home where I was met by a puzzled four year old "Where are your work clothes Daddy?" (lycra) and a puzzled two year old "why go go go Daddy? me go go go too"(running is go go go)

So tomorrow we are all going running in the park and then playing hurling seemingly.

How much running in total yesterday then?

How much running in total yesterday then?

28km

• Advertisement

More paddle work in the pool. I have the upper body of a 3 year old, except with bigger boobs.

More paddle work in the pool. I have the upper body of a 3 year old, except with bigger boobs.

Not trying to be a smart ar$e, but given your lack of swimming recently how advisable is loading on paddle work so soon? Are you happy enough with your form, etc to feel there's no risk?

Not trying to be a smart ar$e, but given your lack of swimming recently how advisable is loading on paddle work so soon? Are you happy enough with your form, etc to feel there's no risk?

A good question.
    Some responses :
    a) my form is fine, in recent years no matter long I am out of the water my form remains fine. Last year Tango and Senior Tango could find little/nothing wrong bar Senior Tango saying I was too fat. Actually they both said that.
    b) no pain, well there is but its pecs and lats, and alot of that from turning badly off the wall. If anything it reminds with muscles to use and not to use the crappy small shoulder ones
    c) not my choice, do what I'm told
    d) there are medium sized ones, no dinner plates.

I agree though paddles should not be used until you won't injure yourself. I did meet someone in the pool who demonstrated excellent form, and if he wants to make the jump to next level of swimming he'll have to do different things, like paddles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Was the granny back in the pool? She has an excellent 'above water scissors kick' that can hit you two lanes away! Epic talent!

Bambaata wrote: »
    Was the granny back in the pool? She has an excellent 'above water scissors kick' that can hit you two lanes away! Epic talent!

Nope, recommended band work for her. Tie those legs and my morning swim problem is gone.

Sometime last year my commuter bike got nicked. The lad was seen running off with it, locked but not too something. I chased him, caught him and got my bike back. No thumps were given. He was got on CCTV and it was reported

Call from the guards today. He was identified, lifted, charged, prosecuted and convicted. The guard was just giving me a courtesy call.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

Sometime last year my commuter bike got nicked. The lad was seen running off with it, locked but not too something. I chased him, caught him and got my bike back. No thumps were given. He was got on CCTV and it was reported

Call from the guards today. He was identified, lifted, charged, prosecuted and convicted. The guard was just giving me a courtesy call.

Thats not something you hear very often!

Damn it, yesterday a pacey run. Bailed at 15 minutes as just felt "blocked".
    Retry today, same thing again.

Raging, I think now that the problem is my hip flexors are just spasmed and tight.

I need a goal. I need something to target. Some things really. Something over the winter and something for next summer.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

• Advertisement

http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman/frankfurt.aspx#axzz3Czeq7ZYn

sorry, i couldn't resist. you knew someone would do it..:)

seriously though, local or abroad? how about something different? you're doing a lot of running/swimming

http://www.engadinswimrun.ch/about/

are you looking for something domestic or abroad?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement