Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rookie's diary part two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

tunney wrote: »
    If I get around in 1:29:59 I'm not arsed even entering the marathon.
    Again not done the running for it so may not enter it anyways.

why would you even consider running the marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

RayCun wrote: »
    why would you even consider running the marathon?

Damn you and your insightful comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

1:27:02- congrats on that, its a decent base to work from.

Hello,

A good race and honest effort. Paced as best I could. A hilly course with a long slightly downhill start with a tailwind. Shorter but still long steep uphill to finish.

Happy with impact of the training we've done. Not far off the pace I held for the five mile and ten km but felt so much more comfortable.

Regards,
    David

4:06 per km average. 179bpm average

20:02 for first 5km
    20:35 for second
    20:14 for third
    21:14 for fourth (uphill)
    4:58 to finish

2014 SSE Airtricity Dublin Half Marathon
    David TUNNEY
    Gun Time-01:27:15
    Pos-246
    Chip-01:27:02
    Rank-245
    Cat-M35
    CatPos-75
    See times atwww.chiptimes.biz

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

nice going today. the running ability didn't require much to start bringing it back to the surface

• Advertisement

Place|Name|Cat|Place in Cat|Chip Time|Finish time
    257|David TUNNEY|M35|81|01:27:02|01:27:15
    263|Stephen BURKE|MS|97|01:27:05|01:27:25

Only saying. Nice to meet you yesterday

yesterday was an interesting race, I had no real goals and no real ideas on how I could go. I reckons 1:27-1:32, or thereabouts. Given the course and how it started I knew it would be a fast start.

I'd positioned myself 6-7 rows from the front, just in front of the pacers. I ignored all ideas of following them as if I don't believe in running a course to someone elses pacing. So I was assuming that all in front of my would run < 1:30, well I didn't really as I've done this type of race before, but I was amazed at how slow some of the people were. Seed yourself according to you ability not your ego!

Anyways, went off rather rich and about 3-4 miles in I was worrying that the pace was far too rich. I was with a lad and had been for a bit so I asked "What time are you targetting?" I was worried I was with 1:24/1:25 people and couldn't hold that. "I'm going for 1:27/1:28" I thank him and said "I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going at the wrong pace". He looked me up and down and said "You are".

I was rather taken aback at this but said nothing and ran as I was. I was rather happy though when skinny cocky lad fell off the pace and dropped well back, and was out of sight by the finish line.

Second race in the race series and second time I've gotten comments about the belly and my positioning and pacing. Second time that those that made the comments turned out to be substantially slower than me. I may not have the chassis but I have an engine. Maybe I should work on the chassis now.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Jesus some people must not have been taught manners by their mammy. How rude!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Few things more enjoyable than being faster than a smug c*nt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Love it. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Hope you waited for the smug git at the finish line to congratulate him on his delusional performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I presume that the two posts are unrelated and the guy you beat in a sprint finish wasn't the cocky f-er but rather was a fellow boardsie??

And nice running. You'd have hammered me and I LOOK like a proper runner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Only saying. Nice to meet you yesterday

Likewise. And duly noted. Seems I was a little hasty stopping the Garmin in the end.

And BTH, no, totally unrelated :). Due to a poor start position on my part I crossed the line ten seconds later. Chip times were close but no sprint finish..

BTH wrote: »
    I presume that the two posts are unrelated and the guy you beat in a sprint finish wasn't the cocky f-er but rather was a fellow boardsie??

No no, completely unrelated.

Basster wrote: »
    Likewise. And duly noted. Seems I was a little hasty stopping the Garmin in the end.

And BTH, no, totally unrelated :). Due to a poor start position on my part I crossed the line ten seconds later. Chip times were close but no sprint finish..

I was checking my shoulders something fierce at the finish, I had no sprint in my legs.

new_thresholds.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Thats the central governor reset!

Struggling to walk today. Tib ant and quads in a jocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

3:60 sounds soooo much faster than 4:00,

not that I'll be seeing either anytime soon.

Morning swim this morning. Short enough but fine, good bit of work to do but I have time. No better shave than a post swim shave, the bristles just fall off. A new slant and some feathers and almost BSS.

Might risk a run at lunch. Five/ten minute laps and see can I do two.

• Advertisement

Getting two long haired lop rabbits for the kids, collecting today 8 week old kits. Seemingly they should live 8-12 years.

We got goldfish a year or so ago. Depending on how the water is kept goldfish should live between 4 and 10 years. 22 hours they lasted - Eoin killed with kindness. Aoibhe was upset so we got her one of those robot goldfish, it wasn't the same but it kept her somewhat happy. 5 hours that lasted - Eoin killed that too.

Watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Getting two long haired lop rabbits for the kids, collecting today 8 week old kits. Seemingly they should live 8-12 years

Check to see if you need to get them vaccinated. We got rabbits for the kids a couple of years ago and I never knew that vaccinations were required - at least for ones kept in areas frequented by foxes, dogs, cats, etc.

griffin100 wrote: »
    Check to see if you need to get them vaccinated. We got rabbits for the kids a couple of years ago and I never knew that vaccinations were required - at least for ones kept in areas frequented by foxes, dogs, cats, etc.

Cheers, have a list of questions alright. I think we need to get them vaccinated around 14 weeks.

Are yours alive?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Cheers, have a list of questions alright. I think we need to get them vaccinated around 14 weeks.

Are yours alive?

Eh, they lasted about 2 weeks before they got 'sad' and Daddy brought them back to live with their Mammy. My fault for not vaccinating them and allowing them run around the garden,which has foxes, hares and loads of wild rabbits in it (that's what happens when you have a 1.5 acre garden and no lawn mower :eek:).

On the other hand our goldfish are still going strong at 7 years old in our unfiltered untreated well-water :confused:

Eh, they lasted about 2 weeks before they got 'sad' and Daddy brought them back to live with their Mammy. My fault for not vaccinating them and allowing them run around the garden,which has foxes, hares and loads of wild rabbits in it (that's what happens when you have a 1.5 acre garden and no lawn mower :eek:).

On the other hand our goldfish are still going strong at 7 years old in our unfiltered untreated well-water :confused:

we have about 10mx10m of paving stones. no foxes, hares, wild rabbits, some cats but "worked" on them recently so only seen one in a fortnight.

Will get vacinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Myxo is the main issue, like you said only in areas with wild rabbits and other animals. It is very obvious when they get it, similar to mumps. Haemorrhagic Disease is the other one but both are covered with a single vaccine now.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Myxo is the main issue, like you said only in areas with wild rabbits and other animals. It is very obvious when they get it, similar to mumps. Haemorrhagic Disease is the other one but both are covered with a single vaccine now.

Booked in at 1815 today, stood on "Mammy Bounce" yesterday. She is okay though.

Doctors appointment and scan yesterday,

All good, but the due date WAS 18th October and section 10th (Section because of emergency on another), due date now the 12th and "sure if you go before the tenth then what harm, and and the head is nicely down"

AKW tweeted something about weight loss and results. I was aware of it all but see it in tabular form hammers it home

Weight_loss.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

AKW tweeted something about weight loss and results. I was aware of it all but see it in tabular form hammers it home

Weight_loss.png

Can you share? Given I'm up nearly 6kg it might kick start some healthier eating :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement