Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rookie's diary part two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Looks like the kids are caged!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Muzzles. Little buggers are vicious at that age. ;)

Then someone needs to take their sticks away!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Ah no the sticks aren't for fighting, they're for defending themselves from other kids!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Great set up for the nursery in the club. A full size astro pitch fenced off so can be happy little ones cannot run off.

Helmets required as at their age even the most innocent of swings can take the head off someone.

RUUM3VjeejCKmBHLqtc2HpOJK1beBKYRa9WFaiKUv-c

Regret giving up now, will take a while before a stick feels natural again in the hand. And the new club like a different style hurl to my old club.

They do Christmas pantos, Halloween parties, Christmas fairs, cinema nights - build a real sense of community and get the kids for life.

• Advertisement

For our American brethren http://youtu.be/fgEMvRrOCRI

tunney wrote: »

Tried to open the link...but this is what I get. ?? Unusual traffic?? Wow. Sort of makes me feel like a rebel. ;)

Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network. Please try your request again later. Why did this happen?

IP address: 75.75.70.124
    Time: 2014-10-18T18:10:13Z
    URL: http://www.google.com/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Helmets required as at their age even the most innocent of swings can take the head off someone.

helmets required at all ages now,even the adults. although when you see some of the warriors lining out in junior b/c it could be argued that helmets were needed by adults long before now

played my first adult game at 14, called up for a cup game for the local soccer club. aged more in that two hours than any other in my life
    They do Christmas pantos, Halloween parties, Christmas fairs, cinema nights - build a real sense of community and get the kids for life.

great approach. i admire any club that invests in the youth. pity more don't do it.

Tried to open the link...but this is what I get. ?? Unusual traffic?? Wow. Sort of makes me feel like a rebel. ;)

Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network. Please try your request again later. Why did this happen?

IP address: 75.75.70.124
    Time: 2014-10-18T18:10:13Z
    URL: http://www.google.com/

Apologies fixed now http://youtu.be/fgEMvRrOCRI

Apologies fixed now http://youtu.be/fgEMvRrOCRI

Way cool! :)

• Advertisement

Week 41 roundup

Swim: 0km
    Bike: (0km)(0km commute)
    Run: 12.6km
    Total time : 1:00

I did what I could, which wasn't much.

Week 42

Weight: 12st 7

To round off what has been the worst two years of my involvement in sport I am doing the marathon. I have not done the miles, my long run is 21km and I am fat but but I am going to do it to set a baseline for next year. I intend to enjoy the day, the event and then go from there for 2015 and onwards.

Targets races for 2015:
    Raheny 5 mile
    Kinvara half marathon
    Camlough Sprint tri
    Park 5 miler
    Park 10 miler
    Park half marathon
    DCT
    Marathon

I intend to do some other running races throughout the year too!

Plan for this week is run Mon-Sun with Saturday and Sunday being very short. Lots of foaming and stretching, clean diet and commute to work. I finally got the sprocket off the back of the fixie (thank you reverse rotafix method) and whipped off the 18 and point on a 16 - the 48-16 was a bit of a shock this morning to be honest but with no traffic on the M1 I as in in no time - literally no traffic, no a single car until Collins avenue

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

To round off what has been the worst two years of my involvement in sport I am doing the marathon.

Crazy idea.

You risk injury, you are going to lose training over the following few weeks, and you will beat yourself up over your finishing time
    You know what you are going to learn from the experience?
    That you have not done the miles and you are overweight.

If you want to set a baseline, pick a shorter race and run that, or jump on your turbo trainer and generate some statistics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

It's less crazy doing this than doing your last IM. You've relatively more training done for this marathon than the IM, and a sub 1:30 half recently under your belt. I'd say you have the endurance base built into your DNA by this stage... go for it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

DCT is usually the day after the 10 mile though!
    Use beating Tango as your motivation throughout DCM...

DCT is usually the day after the 10 mile though!
    Use beating Tango as your motivation throughout DCM...

He is going out at 3:05 pace or so.

Another clubmate Mr Jaundice is going out at 2:59, think I'll go 3:15 pace and just enjoy the day!

Easy run at lunch, rather windy out there. Need a good stretch and roll to work the lack of movement out of my legs.

http://tpks.ws/g5Ea
    10km, 49 minutes

So you haven't done much endurance work lately, but you should be efficient at fat-burning by now. The biggest risk is blowing up at that pace- what sort of fuelling will you do during the race?

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    So you haven't done much endurance work lately, but you should be efficient at fat-burning by now. The biggest risk is blowing up at that pace- what sort of fuelling will you do during the race?

You calling me fat????

No the biggest risk, IMHO is succumbing to the central governor.

Fueling will be a SIS isoGel every 20-30 minutes from the off. Yes I know I don't need them in the first bit but I can only absorb 340kcal an hour and if I don't start replinishing at the start then by the end I'll be low on CHO, enough to make the voice of the CG into a siren's song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Haribo

• Advertisement

Haribo

Off them for the VICE challenge :)

Also I think people delude themselves with their "long runs" and endurance training. An 18 week plan is really just training your mind and helping your endure the muscle fatigue - nothing to do with fuel economy.

Also I hear of people who have done their long runs at 5:00-5:15 per km but then expect to run 4:20s - thats a shock to the system and people will suffer.

I've no expectations - I'll suffer, I'll hurt, I'll love every second.

Running is a pure torture and a pure joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Also I think people delude themselves with their "long runs" and endurance training. An 18 week plan is really just training your mind and helping your endure the muscle fatigue - nothing to do with fuel economy.

Also I hear of people who have done their long runs at 5:00-5:15 per km but then expect to run 4:20s - thats a shock to the system and people will suffer.

I've no expectations - I'll suffer, I'll hurt, I'll love every second.

Running is a pure torture and a pure joy.

My wife asked me a few weeks if I was prepared for the marathon after missing my longer runs due to a virus.

I said.. I know that I can maintain 160-165bpm for 5-6hrs so I am not concerned.

I do think that the 30km+ pre race runs are more for mental strength than anything else.

You calling me fat????

No the biggest risk, IMHO is succumbing to the central governor.

Haha no not calling you fat:) I was asking for a friend who has an entry and also hasn't trained.

Interested in what you say about the long training blocks being more useful for the CG though, I would have thought the idea was to increase your proportion of fat being metabolised. (I've no science to back that up, just something I've picked up along the way).

Strangely enough this makes sense.

I'd suscribe to the idea of time on the feet being important but as mloc and tunney say the body is well able and the important thing is knowing that the body is able that will get you through.

Never though of it that way before. Though explains a lot.

Haha no not calling you fat:) I was asking for a friend who has an entry and also hasn't trained.

Interested in what you say about the long training blocks being more useful for the CG though, I would have thought the idea was to increase your proportion of fat being metabolised. (I've no science to back that up, just something I've picked up along the way).

18 weeks training.
    Weeks 1-12 the "long runs" aren't that long.
    6 weeks left, say two recovery weeks.
    Will four long runs *really* change things that much?

Who knows?

Anyways I'll burn around 960kcal an hour next Monday, I'll take in about 900kcal total, I*hope* that my remaining cho stores and the percentage fat will cover the difference otherwise that will be nasty.

AKW wrote: »
    Strangely enough this makes sense.

I'd suscribe to the idea of time on the feet being important but as mloc and tunney say the body is well able and the important thing is knowing that the body is able that will get you through.

Never though of it that way before. Though explains a lot.

Think back to a recent tough race, one you died in over the back end. Bet the last 500m was a surge, the body had loads more left you found. Why's that?

That is true.

I did read about the CG, don't know if it was linky from yourself but I didn't really associate with it properly. It's where racing experience teaches you lessons about what you can and can't do.

But being able to suffer doesn't overcome a lack of fitness though, or do you think it can? (Not saying you're not fit, just in general)

AKW wrote: »
    That is true.

I did read about the CG, don't know if it was linky from yourself but I didn't really associate with it properly. It's where racing experience teaches you lessons about what you can and can't do.

But being able to suffer doesn't overcome a lack of fitness though, or do you think it can? (Not saying you're not fit, just in general)

We have talked CG before, you couldn't find any references on the Polar site and that was that.

But no I do not think suffering can overcome a lack of fitness. No way.

Yes I am unfit. On this board. When compared to a subset of posters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Am I right in saying you're going out at 3:15 pace but just looking to enjoy the day and whatever happens, happens?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement