Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rookie's diary part two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

pgibbo wrote: »
    Am I right in saying you're going out at 3:15 pace but just looking to enjoy the day and whatever happens, happens?

Yes that's what I said.
    I don't get the confusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

No confusion. I just didn't have time to read all the posts so took the lazy option. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

950Kcal an hour! Are you doing it with a pull buoy?!

950Kcal an hour! Are you doing it with a pull buoy?!

No estimates based on body weight and intended pace. Did seem high but checked a few places

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

tunney wrote: »
    No estimates based on body weight and intended pace. Did seem high but checked a few places

I got the same reaction on Sunday to my cal burn. Was suggested to be 100% accurate to have metabolic testing done, I'm happy enough that based on weight / age and fitness that the watch is pretty accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

AKW wrote: »
    I got the same reaction on Sunday to my cal burn. Was suggested to be 100% accurate to have metabolic testing done, I'm happy enough that based on weight / age and fitness that the watch is pretty accurate.

do you think it was a reaction cause it was thought to be wrong, or cause it was so high? they're not the same thing, and i ask as one of the reactors..:)

. our easy running hr is reasonably close. your measured vo2, although quite some time ago, is close to/slightly above mine. your avg hr was lower than mine on saturday(although i am 100% sure that is only because your heart stopped for several minutes after you slapped the (Amphibian) kings jewels off the saddle. all that, your cal burn for 2 hours was 50% higher than mine (1900 vs. 1200). my reaction was based on that gap. if I'd no data and you just said you burnt 1800 i don't think you'd have gotten any reaction.

plus, to show the absurdity of it all, here is what strava measured for my calorie burn
    http://www.strava.com/activities/209207077

900 calories

edit, actually that may be due to some messed up hr zones, but they weren't far off

Sorry Tunney to take over your thread.

I think the general reaction was surprise that it was so relatively high and I'd a relatively low HR avg which is probably due to the auto-pause (now disabled for MTB).

Tuesday 21st

Sh1t nights sleep, Eoin not right wanted to sleep in spare bed with me, then Aoibhe upset cause no one in her bed with her. On and on, fecked today and not heard Ciarán once in the last 11 days at night.

Plan for today is easy run with 10x1 flat out, 1 recovery.

Also a Cinema night in the GAA club for the kids.

This morning I told Eoin and Aoibhe that I was doing the marathon on Monday. They both asked "What's that?" I explained it was a long race around Dublin. Aoibhe asked "Will you do press ups?" When I asked no she seemed rather disappointed.
    Eoin asked "will you go go go?" and ran on the spot to make it clear he meant will you be running. When I said yes I would be running I received the sage advice "Wear shoes or ouchie".

When I said yes I would be running I received the sage advice "Wear shoes or ouchie".

529114dd466e4192446316f6d87e79e9fcfcf18d193066b048b4827ffad2bc3c.jpg

• Advertisement

When I said yes I would be running I received the sage advice "Wear shoes or ouchie".

the shopkeep in the west is rubbing his hands in glee. the youth recruitment initiative is paying dividends. Future business is secure.

:D

ah beaten to it by a nose...

Think I just agreed to try division eight hurling.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I'll pray for those division 8 referees.

any sport at that level is usually dictated by two types of players..

the young fella, on his way up to the higher levels, who looks at the overweight auld fella opposite him, smiles, and thnks i'm going to skin that boll^x alive first chance i get

the auld fella, decent player in his day, but struggling now, who looks at the young fella, smiles and says first time you try and skin me i'm going to flatten you so f&^king hard it'll need a rectal probe to see that smile you have on your face you little pr^ck.

just saying...:)

mossym wrote: »
    any sport at that level is usually dictated by two types of players..

the young fella, on his way up to the higher levels, who looks at the overweight auld fella opposite him, smiles, and thnks i'm going to skin that boll^x alive first chance i get

the auld fella, decent player in his day, but struggling now, who looks at the young fella, smiles and says first time you try and skin me i'm going to flatten you so f&^king hard it'll need a rectal probe to see that smile you have on your face you little pr^ck.

just saying...:)

Yup, had similar thoughts last night and may leave it!
    I'm neither :)

CEO of my company has three kids, he commented on going from two to three as "being good as it removes the illusion of control that those with one/two kids can labour under and forces you to embrace the chaos of kids". Not two weeks in and I know what he means.

Need sleep.....................
    Or alcohol, or both. But would have to be white wine or rose....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Nothing soothes a tired liver like a nice chilled Chardonnay.

mossym wrote: »

I see your Talisker ..

and raise ...

http://www.auchentoshan.com/

AKW wrote: »
    I see your Talisker ..

and raise ...

http://www.auchentoshan.com/

only one thing for it. bottle of each and we enjoy naming the champ..:)

• Advertisement

Dublin Marathon

Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts.

Success is most often achieved by those who don’t know that failure is inevitable.

It’s failure that gives you the proper perspective on success.

The file mile, 10km and half marathon I went out hard and tried to hang on. I did.

Plan had been to train and to do the same for the marathon. Life and laziness got in the way and I didn't train. Life also meant I hit the day tired and with a chesty cough. However, unlike I normally would, I dismissed all this and had myself convinced that I had a chance at sub three. A tiny, teeny, negligible chance of sub three. But a chance and I focused on that. I convinced myself I would go sub three.

Anyways - chaos at the start, usual gobsh1tes (who probably beat me) who go at the very front and immediately start running 5+ minutes a km. Also the new (sh1t) route mean elbows and punches exchanged. Thankfully I am a submissive shy kind of guide so I yielded to everyone pushing and shoving and let everyone go on without incident.

Stuck with pacers for 10+km until the incidence of 4:06 per km on the Garmin were far too regular then let them off. By 15km knew I would blow at 30km from the pace.

I knew I was safe to at least 22km at this pace as I had done it before for the half. Oh how I was wrong. 18-19km my right ITB went. I contemplated DNFing but for some reason its not something I let myself do. Silly as feck I know. I did my best to keep moving as best I could, altering my gait to do what I could. The problem with altering gait is you start to use muscles you normally don't use for running. Soon the rec fems went, then the vmos. Finally any running at all was extreme agony.

The course was very well supported which was great - except when you felt obliged to run for 20 meters to stop a well meaning vocal spectator roaring at you.

Anyways it was a miserable shuffle to the line, passed by all and sundry.

Home to abuse from the mother in law
    "how was you walk dave?"
    "if they ask in work what you did at the weekend will you tell them a walking tour of dublin?"

and so on. Good natured and taken as intended.

Anyways I got my medal, which was used as an improvised weapon by *someone*, and my t-shirt. The race was very useful from an introspection perspective and between it and Frankfurt I've done more soul searching than ever before. I have a much firmer grasp of who I am, who I want to be and what I need to do to be that person.

The last few years have been, in certain aspects, been the worst of my life. Some know why, some have ideas, some don't care. Regardless the line is now firmly draw under that period in my life and its time to move on.

PS In future I will do DNS for races I'm not prepared for as DNF doesn't work for me

Stuck with pacers for 10+km until the incidence of 4:06 per km on the Garmin were far too regular then let them off. By 15km knew I would blow at 30km from the pace.

???
    10k point for all three pacers was 42:33-42:38.
    Half point for all three was 1:28:53-1:28:56.

There may have been 4:06/km on some downhill sections of the first 10k, but it wasn't regular. Looking at their data over that course and conditions, all three of them did a pretty perfect job.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The 3 hour pacers were right behind me at one point in Phoenix park, probably the right split on the watch but a little hot I think for that part of the course. (One of them passed me on the downhill after Castleknock, but it looked like he was going ahead to get water or something?)

RayCun wrote: »
    The 3 hour pacers were right behind me at one point in Phoenix park, probably the right split on the watch but a little hot I think for that part of the course. (One of them passed me on the downhill after Castleknock, but it looked like he was going ahead to get water or something?)

On a perfect day the brief is to hit halfway in about 1:29:30-ish, but it was pretty windy on the second half yesterday (especially with a flag) so 30 sec extra banked might have suited the conditions. Everyone will have their own opinion of what is the best way to pace, but I don't agree that its a negative split course at all. The first half is a lot easier than the second, IMO. Lots of different ways to skin a cat though.

I show a 25 minute period of average pace of 4:10 and more importantly a NGP (normalised graded pace) of 3:56.

Hindsight I'd have listened to more experienced runners and left the pacers off (would not have affected the outcome mind)

Experienced runners would be correct- the best way to control your own race is to run it your own pace. That way you stand or fall on your own merits. I was telling some people in the pub after that for all the pacer organising, I don't even really believe in pacers (or garmins) in races. Perceived effort usually produces the best race results IMO. But the pace groups are handy for lots of people, and help a lot with congestion.

Probably sidelining from the elephant in the room though (literally, an elephant ;)).

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Probably sidelining from the elephant in the room though (literally, an elephant ;)).

I see what you are doing here, deflecting criticism of the pacers by suggesting that discussion of my pacing issues is verboten. Pretty much everyone suspected what I was going to do. Some knew. Thing is though its my race and I can feck it up as I wish with my mispacing.
    Kurt Godel wrote: »
    But the pace groups are handy for lots of people, and help a lot with congestion.

Disagree. Ignoring the potential for them to do - on the "new course", there will always be horrible congestion, shoving, tripping (deliberate and accidental) and fighting for the first 3 miles.

I do not like the start of the new course.

Anyways mostly crippled today. Don't think any pace, set by anyone, would have helped me avoid that #fatty

To clarify I think the pacers are a good idea. I got to see the 3:00 ones, the 3:10 ones, the 3:20, the 3:30, the 3:40, 3:50, 4:00, 4:10 and 4:20 ones. What I saw was that the slower those being paced the more impact that the pacers had - talking and encouraging and keep the group together.

• Advertisement

To clarify I think the pacers are a good idea. I got to see the 3:00 ones, the 3:10 ones, the 3:20, the 3:30, the 3:40, 3:50, 4:00, 4:10 and 4:20 ones. What I saw was that the slower those being paced the more impact that the pacers had - talking and encouraging and keep the group together.

Tell the truth, you weren't really injured you were conducting market research across a profile of runners, weren't you?! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement