Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rookie's diary part two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I think that should have been in purple.

Nope. I'm still waiting for him to take me up on my offer to run with him at DCM. (what color would you like facetious to be?) ;):)

Orange?

I may yet be under the 3:30 banner

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

tunney wrote: »
    Orange?

I may yet be under the 3:30 banner
    sounds like a party !

I think training this week can be described as "sh1t, fvck, cvnt"

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Whoa...tunney....I just found your Triathletes are Skinny thread. All I could think of while reading post after post after post is how much love the color purple would have gotten over there. ;)

Whoa...tunney....I just found your Triathletes are Skinny thread. All I could think of while reading post after post after post is how much love the color purple would have gotten over there. ;)

Not my thread
    Not called that.

Just some lad getting sensitive and stuff. Until that thread I didn't even know his Roman gladiator name was "Chunkious Monkious Maximus Deridious"

Triathletes are skinny though :)

• Advertisement

Last week was a bad week - just a little running is all. In all honesty to a certain extent I reverted to the old illness related excuses. Except they are no longer valid.

One hard self-administered kick in the hole and we are back in action this week.

Busy day yesterday in work and late home so only managed 17km running.
    Today was a start in work at stupid o'clock so nothing before work but I'm hopeful for the rest of the day!

Week ending 28th July 2013

Swim dist: 0
    Swim time: 0:00
    Bike dist: 0 (100km every week commuting but don't count that here
    Bike time: 0:00
    Run dist: 33km
    Run time: 2:44
    Total time: 2:44

Date|Weight
    24th Jun 2013|13st 4
    1st Jul 2013|13st 4
    8th Jul 2013|13st 3
    15th Jul 2013|13st
    22nd Jul 2013|12st 12.4
    29th Jul 2013|12st 12.4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Jeez tunney this log is like an exercise in self-flagellation. You should be losing more weight than you are. Are you keeping a food diary at all? I've found keeping one to be the difference between losing and not losing weight. Here's a decent one- you set a target weight and date and enter daily food and exercise. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

Good luck with it, discipline is key.

Some interesting points.......
    Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Jeez tunney this log is like an exercise in self-flagellation.

Hey I gave that up when I was 19..... Oh wait....

Yes I can be tough on myself. Then again I often deserve it. I like to call a spade a spade and its my unwillingness to embrace the culture of communal reach-arounds that has made me so popular on boards.

At the moment I don't to be honest deserve the self-flagellation you are correct. I spent 7 years building up the habits I had and the three or so years when I was sick loosing them. It will take time - I need to accept that for training.
    You should be losing more weight than you are. Are you keeping a food diary at all? I've found keeping one to be the difference between losing and not losing weight. Here's a decent one- you set a target weight and date and enter daily food and exercise. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

I have a very good knowledge of nutrition and diet. Hence knowing exactly what I am doing wrong. I had intended on addressing the training habits before the diet habits but I may need to do a little of both.

I did use Trainingpeaks for tracking nutrition a few years ago and may return to doing so in a few weeks.
    Good luck with it, discipline is key.

That it is!

• Advertisement

I did manage to get out for my run yesterday. Given the day that was in it that was all I had planned and it got done!

^^^ Whoop whoop!! :)

(and please notice that was NOT in purple!)

Upset tummy last 24 hours. To run or not? #CouldBeADisaster

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Upset tummy last 24 hours. To run or not? #CouldBeADisaster

Short laps, close to home, bring a key

Wednesday 31st August 2013

Got changed for a lunch run. Then the following thoughts went through my head:
    "There are alot of people around the IFSC"
    "Your tummy is very very off, last night was bad"
    "The showers in work are broken"
    "Given the co-location any accident could be alot more embarassing"

Got changed and skipped the run. The sensible thing to do.

Thursday 1st August 2013

This log is more like a sleep diary than anything else.
    Took Glenda 2 hours to get him to sleep last night - trying to avoid cuddling him or holding his hand as he goes to sleep. He never had a dodi, a blankie or a teddy. No interest. He just played with finger tips so its not fun.

0430 he wakes. For two hours I lie beside him trying to soothe him 0630 I call it quits and give in and pick him up. He immediately points to the door and says "Juice". He wants milk. "Do you want milk Eoin?" "No" he says as he shakes his head. No with head movement actually means yes. Get him milk. He drinks it quickly. Holds up his cup and points to the door. Get him more milk, drinks it and falls asleep on my chest. 0700. Fvcked if the morning swim is happening.

This there is the lunch run.

1100 Phone call from consultant immunologist. His test results are back. He had a slight reaction on holidays and given I never killed his sister by kissing her on the cheek after eating peanut butter we decided to get him tested. 1200 in the consultants, no lunch run and he is allerigc to RH-2. Not the worst of the peanut proteins but still not the best. Retest in 2 years to see how it progresses. With no exposure to the allergens he has a 30% chance of loosing the allergy.

Sh1t day all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

Nothing messes with the head more than bad news about the kids. But on the flip side, prevention is better than cure so at least you know now before anything happens.

Bugsy2000 wrote: »
    Nothing messes with the head more than bad news about the kids. But on the flip side, prevention is better than cure so at least you know now before anything happens.

Cheers. The fear was getting caught in the middle of nowhere and both kids exposed to a contaminated product and only having one adrenaline pen.

Time for a reboot. The time for the self pitying and "what ifs", lamenting of years wasted due to illness is over.

Its time to man the fvck up. HTFU. Suck it up and stop being a delicate little princess. Its time to go back to being myself.

Going to go back to week 1 of TriMonkeys "Get Dave back training programme" and roll with that. Below is the core. Extra sessions done easy are allowed but not required.

Week 1332 plan

Monday|Swim 2km easy
    Tuesday|Threshold turbo
    Wednesday|Run with pickups
    Thursday|Strength turbo
    Friday|Swim 2km easy/steady
    |Pacey run
    Saturday|Ride my bike outside
    Sunday|Longer run

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

you should build in a day off. Rookies don't need to train every day or even twice a day ;)

• Advertisement

Week 1332 plan

Monday|Swim 2km easy
    Tuesday|Threshold turbo
    Thursday|Strength turbo
    |Pacey run
    Sunday|Longer run

Date|Weight
    24th Jun 2013|13st 4
    1st Jul 2013|13st 4
    8th Jul 2013|13st 3
    15th Jul 2013|13st
    22nd Jul 2013|12st 12.4
    29th Jul 2013|12st 12.4
    5th Aug 2013|12st 12.4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Does the strike through mean it happened or it was binned? ;)

pgibbo wrote: »
    Does the strike through mean it happened or it was binned? ;)

Ah right. Completed then. Red can be missed :)

We might have to post a chart of which color means what. By my count, we are up to three colors. Which makes me wonder for some strange reason what your favorite color is?

We might have to post a chart of which color means what. By my count, we are up to three colors. Which makes me wonder for some strange reason what your favorite color is?

Better?

Anything I've missed or is the legend complete now Dory?

Anything I've missed or is the legend complete now Dory?

Brilliant!! ;):)

(and thanks! ;);))

Week 1332 plan

Monday|Swim 2km easy|Reasonable swim, I had been concerned about being out of the water yet. Last time I was hitting 2:05 per 100m which is basically drowning. Despite nothing in ages 1:50 or less per hundred. Albeit 2km is a very short swim. Fun being back in the water. Plus I had forgotten how much easier shaving after a swim is
    Tuesday|Threshold turbo|A gentle reintroduction to the CT. Descending duration, increasing intensity intervals.
    |Additional easy run|Nice day,nice run, wasn't on the programme but am free to add extra easy sessions as long as no impact on anything else.
    Thursday|Strength turbo
    |Pacey run
    Sunday|Longer run

Week 1331

Swim dist: 0km
    Swim time: 00:00
    Bike dist: 0km
    Bike time: 00:00
    Run dist: 33.8km
    Run time: 2:49
    Total time : 2:49

Time to draw a line under the last phase of my life. Try to forget about whats happened and move on.

• Advertisement

Week 1332 plan

Monday|Swim 2km easy|Reasonable swim, I had been concerned about being out of the water yet. Last time I was hitting 2:05 per 100m which is basically drowning. Despite nothing in ages 1:50 or less per hundred. Albeit 2km is a very short swim. Fun being back in the water. Plus I had forgotten how much easier shaving after a swim is
    Tuesday|Threshold turbo|A gentle reintroduction to the CT. Descending duration, increasing intensity intervals.
    |Additional easy run|Nice day,nice run, wasn't on the programme but am free to add extra easy sessions as long as no impact on anything else.
    Wednesday|Run with pickups|A hot and sweaty run. Legs just felt weird. Struggled on anyways and ended up a sweaty mess back in the office. Hopefully the showers are fixed soon.
    Thursday|Strength turbo
    |Pacey run
    Sunday|Longer run

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement