Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rookie's diary part two

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

don't agree with cheat DAYS

fully in support of a cheat meal...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Stick up a breakdown of one days diet for us.

I was sticking to better eating before I went away on holidays (back on it now) and making decent steady progress.
    I wouldn't have a cheat day or anything like that but... on Fridays I would eat lunch out, nothing crazy but just not the standard home made sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mloc123 wrote: »
    Stick up a breakdown of one days diet for us.

I was sticking to better eating before I went away on holidays (back on it now) and making decent steady progress.
    I wouldn't have a cheat day or anything like that but... on Fridays I would eat lunch out, nothing crazy but just not the standard home made sandwich.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/davetunney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

tunney wrote: »
    Grappling with a decisions - do I do a cheat day or not?

Familiar with the idea that cheat days may work, but also that further research says only for women.

What to do.............

Perhaps if you were actually training.......

Perhaps if you were actually training.......

Got nothing to do with training.....

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

That's one boring diet.

Got nothing to do with training.....

Cheat days often associated with reward meal/food/item

Reward definition "a thing given in recognition of service, effort, or achievement" Do you deserve one:)

Besides my point above we are not elites, why deprive ourselves of nice things....everything in moderation.

Cheat days often associated with reward meal/food/item

Reward definition "a thing given in recognition of service, effort, or achievement" Do you deserve one:)

Ah you don't understand the cheat days and diets then.

Cheat days in diets are more typically associated with halting/slowing the changes in production of hormones which is associated with severe calorie restriction. In that after a number of days of running a significant calories deficit the body alters the production of certain hormones to reduce the bodys future requirements for calories.

Thinking around cheat days is that these cheat days could trick the body into *not* changing hormone levels and thus maintaining the higher calorie burn and thus aiding weight loss. However there is conflicting research and quantification of the approaches is difficult.

Associating "cheat days" and "rewards" with training is, in my mind, counter productive at best.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

So is a cheat day going to be a binge on wine, creamcake and chocolate, or just eating larger quantities of 'good stuff'?

(good stuff is a relative term)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Out of curiosity how much water would you drink in the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

8830527864862.jpg

Oryx wrote: »
    So is a cheat day going to be a binge on wine, creamcake and chocolate, or just eating larger quantities of 'good stuff'?

Not binging, just extra calories. ie if running at 1300-1400 kcal deficit then have no deficit for a day, or a lower one.

Alcohol is shown to be counter productive as a "cheat" though. Unless its red wine, and unfortunately the person is female.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Makes me glad I have never had to worry about weight or diets. Sounds fair complicated :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

pgibbo wrote: »
    Makes me glad I have never had to worry about weight or diets. Sounds fair complicated :confused:

Ditto, looking at Dave's food diary has left me hungry.

Salt in the wound lads :(

Spare a thought for those of us* with big bones / glandular issues / slow metabolism / <>insert excuse as required<>

*not including Tunney in 'us' specifically

I got 500m in before the knee packed it.

Its not quite tendonosis yet so going to pack all attempts at anything for a few weeks until healed.

Talk to yas then.

Ah you don't understand the cheat days and diets then.

Cheat days in diets are more typically associated with halting/slowing the changes in production of hormones which is associated with severe calorie restriction. In that after a number of days of running a significant calories deficit the body alters the production of certain hormones to reduce the bodys future requirements for calories.

Thinking around cheat days is that these cheat days could trick the body into *not* changing hormone levels and thus maintaining the higher calorie burn and thus aiding weight loss. However there is conflicting research and quantification of the approaches is difficult.

Associating "cheat days" and "rewards" with training is, in my mind, counter productive at best.

Was not aware, used to be stringent about diet in the past but no as much now. Good calories in, training consistent and let it look after itself.

At what level of deficit does the body go into starvation mode?

I presume insulin stress is one of the key responses in the above Tunney? Cortisol > leading to retention of body fats ?

Knee is still not great. Haven't helped matters with an impact injury. VMO swollen to fúck and tender now too.

Ciarán had a trip to A&E with a suspected LRTI (lower respiratory tract infection), home now but in pain and distress.

Frustrated with the knee as its the first time in years I'm properly motivated.

• Advertisement

Was rushed at lunch so ran extra fast to do my twenty minute run in ten minutes.

Definite bruising to the kneecap from the impact the other day. On the plus side hoping that this impact will bring extra blood flow to the area and help the tendon heal.

Man with the tan again today before work.

Patella tendonosis (still), worked on the problem point and the quads.
    vastus lateralus on the other leg still not right either.

Big problem for my return to proper running will be the wastage of muscles I'm told.

I'm to try a run tomorrow.

Anyways a hospital trip for Ciarán Monday and unrelated to this he needs a very minor surgery next week, can be done without a general thankfully but really between it all my knee doesn't matter!

Today Eoin announced that he doesn't want to be an astronaut as its dark in the stars.

In other news got 15 minutes run done. No sharp stabbing pain but a dull ache. More on the centre of the tendon now too.
    Really test will be tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Would any cross training help the situation??

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Would any cross training help the situation??

Some would argue that I am always cross when training.

Cycling - no, want to protect the knee.
    Swimming - yes, but not a chance of making it to the pool. Opens at 0630, kids up at 0700 to get ready for school and with Ciarán being so little need to be there. Swimming in the evening doesn't work for me - espeically with shítewood closing so early.

So yes cross training would help.

Week 46 training

Swim : nothing
    Bike : nothing
    Run : 0:45 (9.49km)
    Total : 0:45

A slight improvement in the knee towards the end of the week, in with Dave again on Wednesday and hopefully that's it.

Ran at lunch, much improved. Still acted up around 4.5km but much better. On the advice of Amphibian King West I broke out the kinvara. These lightweight 4mm ramped shoes might seem like the worst idea but the low ramp puts the load on the ATs and calves and not on the patella tendon - felt so natural to run in.

Getting closer to running again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Good news Dave. I had to ditch the Kinvaras for exactly the opposite reason - too much load on the ATs. Good to hear some kms coming back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Ran at lunch, much improved. Still acted up around 4.5km but much better. On the advice of Amphibian King West I broke out the kinvara. These lightweight 4mm ramped shoes might seem like the worst idea but the low ramp puts the load on the ATs and calves and not on the patella tendon - felt so natural to run in.

Getting closer to running again!

Was in your neck of the woods today, missed you by about 20-30mins though.

Im in need of a new pair (2 pairs actually!) and could never go away from 4mm. I tried on an old pair of Mizuno at home last week and they felt like high heels made from bricks!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement