Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rookie's diary part two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Training this week has not gone well. I have slept in every morning. Through two alarms!!! One at 0530 for training and one at 0700 for getting the kids ready for school. So we have been panicked waking at 0720 every morning to get people out the door.

I have been raging at myself for being so tired and exhausted that I could sleep through two very loud alarms. Really pissed off at myself. I wasn't even praying to Bacchus or anything.

Realised this morning what happened.
    I have a Samsung S5. I ran Kitkat on it and when going to bed I would set the alarm and then set the phone to run in "Blocking" mode. This meant I would get not notifications of messages, texts, events, etc but those on my priority list could still ring me (my Mam, wife, etc). But the alarm still went off.

I upgraded to Lollipop this week. Very very nice. Hooks very nicely up with the 920xt (for example if the 920xt is in range the phone is unlocked). However the "Blocking mode" has been replaced with "Do not interrupt". Or so I thought. "Do not interrupt" now means just that - under no circumstances do notifications at all - including alarms. What I wanted to set was "Priority Interruptions only". That would allow alarms and calls from the priority list.

DOH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Apparently the S5 can be used to video underwater. Have you tried that yet?

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Apparently the S5 can be used to video underwater. Have you tried that yet?

No. It is water resistant and you could do that I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Thinking of getting one for this very reason. Apparently its resistant enough to use underwater in the pool.

Thinking of getting one for this very reason. Apparently its resistant enough to use underwater in the pool.

It is IP67 rated

"The second digit 7 means that the Galaxy S5 has been tested immersed in up to 1 metre of water for up to 30 minutes. "

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Im not putting my s5 in the pool no matter what the label says.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I'm surprised you didn't test after the upgrade rather than waiting to see if it worked. Good job you're not a QA :pac:

pgibbo wrote: »
    I'm surprised you didn't test after the upgrade rather than waiting to see if it worked. Good job you're not a QA :pac:

I had enough problems with it not charging........

USB cables are different it appears. Pin 2 and 3 specifically. If they are not shorted the maximum draw should be 500mA, if they are 2A.

The Lollipop upgrade enforces this. This is not document anywhere and took me a while and many factory resets and the like to realise what is was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

tunney wrote: »
    It is IP67 rated

"The second digit 7 means that the Galaxy S5 has been tested immersed in up to 1 metre of water for up to 30 minutes. "

Alright til it drops and hits the bottom of a 1.20m pool. ;)

AKW wrote: »
    Alright til it drops and hits the bottom of a 1.20m pool. ;)

Only way I am brining my S5 into a pool is if its Fran's pool

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Only way I am brining my S5 into a pool is if its Fran's pool

Tut tut blaming no training on a phone. Bring back the old Nokia 6210.

Tut tut blaming no training on a phone. Bring back the old Nokia 6210.

I more meant the only thing I would want to video is the displays certain members of your gym put on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I more meant the only thing I would want to video is the displays certain members of your gym put on.

Ahhhhh, Slovak. You can see how i picked that up wrong.

Anyways I am negotiating a return to the pool!

I took it to mean a 60cm deep pool (sorry Fran!)

Week 3

Monday

Lunch run http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/672007929
    Legs were sore during and after this. As they have been recently after all runs

Tuesday

Lunch run http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/672700637
    Ran with Tango. Ran in Mizuno Rider 18s rather than the Saucony Ride 6s - legs alot better today

Wednesday

Lunch run http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/673382400
    Again with Tango. Ran in Saucony Kinvaras. Legs fine too. Body does not like the Ride 6

Thursday

Forced rest day I no longer schedule rest days for myself as life and work usually forces one. Today is one of those days

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Why do you run at the same pace all the time?

A very good question. Some possibilities:
    • Its the pace I "just run" at
    • I am scared of the pain of faster running
    • I do not think I am ready for faster running
    • I often run with others doing different sessions
    • I make excuses about not wanting to suffer
    • My routes don't lend themselves to hard hard running
    • My excuses are really fvcking weak
    • Basically I think it boils down to I know how much I can hurt myself and I am out of the habit of doing so and I am terrified of doing so again
    • All the possibilities are bull except for the one above this one

EUREKA!!!

Exceptional point and something that reinforces a theory of mine.

Ride - 262.2ms / 180 spm/ 7.8cm
    Rider - 260.1 / 180 spm / 7.4cm
    Kinvara - 261.7ms / 181spm / 7.4cm

See what's happening Dave?

The 'dead zone' shoe is forcing you to work harder = higher VO = more effort in your run. I'm ignoring HR as the routes and conditions are different.

The highest ramp shoe is actually giving you less ground contact time and required less clearance. You roll sweeter with this shoe.

The lowest ramp shoe is also 'rewarding' you with a return of landing energy so less VO required = less effort required.

:)

So everyday I get home from work. I am given three minutes to change and then we have to go racing. Aoibhe has discovered the concept of cheating. "Look Daddy a monkey under the car". I look and off they go running. 500m-1km a night and they love it - more him than her. They love it so much that its now a case of "no racing if you aren't good and eat all your dinner". Dinner is getting eaten and we have a threat that works. Most importantly the seed of running and exercise has been without a doubt been planted. If nothing else its all been worth it for that.

Anyways last night Aoibhe decided not to go - her Auntie had just given her her birthday present. So Eoin and I went. "Look daddy a monkey under the car". So I got down on my hands and knees to look. I turn around a few seconds later and he is on his hands and knees checking too. He doesn't grasp the cheating bit yet.

• Advertisement

EUREKA!!!

Exceptional point and something that reinforces a theory of mine.

See what's happening Dave?

The 'dead zone' shoe is forcing you to work harder = higher VO = more effort in your run. I'm ignoring HR as the routes and conditions are different.

The highest ramp shoe is actually giving you less ground contact time and required less clearance. You roll sweeter with this shoe.

The lowest ramp shoe is also 'rewarding' you with a return of landing energy so less VO required = less effort required.

:)

Alot to think about here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

So everyday I get home from work. I am given three minutes to change and then we have to go racing. Aoibhe has discovered the concept of cheating. "Look Daddy a monkey under the car". I look and off they go running. 500m-1km a night and they love it - more him than her. They love it so much that its now a case of "no racing if you aren't good and eat all your dinner". Dinner is getting eaten and we have a threat that works. Most importantly the seed of running and exercise has been without a doubt been planted. If nothing else its all been worth it for that.

Anyways last night Aoibhe decided not to go - her Auntie had just given her her birthday present. So Eoin and I went. "Look daddy a monkey under the car". So I got down on my hands and knees to look. I turn around a few seconds later and he is on his hands and knees checking too. He doesn't grasp the cheating bit yet.

:D

Brilliant ! In truth Id be as concerned about pesky monkeys under cars too - best to check it out !

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Was there a monkey under the car?

Oryx wrote: »
    Was there a monkey under the car?

One did crawl under the car to check for the presence of other monkeys.

There most certainly were no "frogs in the trees", nor a "docus on the roof" (diplodocus).

Week 3

Monday

Lunch run http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/672007929
    Legs were sore during and after this. As they have been recently after all runs

Tuesday

Lunch run http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/672700637
    Ran with Tango. Ran in Mizuno Rider 18s rather than the Saucony Ride 6s - legs alot better today

Wednesday

Lunch run http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/673382400
    Again with Tango. Ran in Saucony Kinvaras. Legs fine too. Body does not like the Ride 6

Thursday

Forced rest day I no longer schedule rest days for myself as life and work usually forces one. Today is one of those days

Friday

Easy steady mod lunch run
    http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/674786366
    The bread and butter run I give to people who are fit enough to do some work, but not fit enough to suffer properly. 20 easy, 15 steady, 5 mod, 5 easy Cracking day out there.

Kinvara - 250.0ms / 184spm / 7.1cm

Kinvara - 250.0ms / 184spm / 7.1cm

Increase SPM = lower GC in the same shoe.

Lower VO is probably a factor of the stride length and cadence. Were the paces the same / similar in the two Kinvara runs?

Increase SPM = lower GC in the same shoe.

Lower VO is probably a factor of the stride length and cadence. Were the paces the same / similar in the two Kinvara runs?

Two. The second Kinvara run was done on a much stiller day (wind wise) and was a mix of paces rather than just running. I did however find my running form was better. Much more glute and hamstring engagement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Are these stats only available on the 920 or does a footpod give them also?

Amazingly the stats come from the chest strap and not the footpod!

920xt, 620, 220 are two available watches that pick the metrics up

• Advertisement

I also stand by what I said to you in email.

I am a moany bástard.
    I find fault in everything.
    I went through 11 910xts, 1 Polar R800, a Polar RC5 and a garmin swim in the space of a year.
    I'm a techie.

I have yet to find a fault with my 920xt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement