Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rookie's diary part two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

tunney wrote: »
    Amazingly the stats come from the chest strap and not the footpod!

920xt, 620, 220 are two available watches that pick the metrics up

220 does cadence from the wrist unit. No VO or GC

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

AKW wrote: »
    220 does cadence from the wrist unit. No VO or GC

920 also does cadence from the watch, found out one day I forgot my HR strap

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Lunch run today 10/10 session. Ouchie enough but took pleasure that I did it with the newest member of TeamTunney who suffered more.
    Slowly my running form is coming back.

Usual runs with the tots - Eoin now is doing what we were thought in my first tri club. "always go on three". Counting down from five last night to a race to the next lamppost.
    "5.....4......."
    "HAHA poo poo face"
    and off he went.

They grow up so fast

New Kit Review

I have accepted that this year I am a runner that swims and cycles for fun.
    I have also accepted that in order to get mileage up I'll have to run to and from work more often.

Amazingly I have never owned a pure running commuting bag. Always something bigger that doubled up for cycling commuting. These never really were neat enough so I decided to invest in one.

Requirements for one were:
    • Fit jeans, t-shirt and lunch
    • Increase visiblity
    • Be comfortable

As such I went for a Puma NightCat Backpack

It fits everything I need and amazingly I really do not notice it on my back. Its *less* noticeable than a three bottle Fuel Belt. It is also very very visible at night.

Perfect for what I wanted!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

New Kit Review

I have accepted that this year I am a runner that swims and cycles for fun.
    I have also accepted that in order to get mileage up I'll have to run to and from work more often.

Amazingly I have never owned a pure running commuting bag. Always something bigger that doubled up for cycling commuting. These never really were neat enough so I decided to invest in one.

Requirements for one were:
    • Fit jeans, t-shirt and lunch
    • Increase visiblity
    • Be comfortable

As such I went for a Puma NightCat Backpack

It fits everything I need and amazingly I really do not notice it on my back. Its *less* noticeable than a three bottle Fuel Belt. It is also very very visible at night.

Perfect for what I wanted!

Can you get them from wiggle or any other reputable online retailer??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

BTH wrote: »
    Can you get them from wiggle

you might have to now

Is it not against the TDAR charter to "post while ginger"?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Is there a discount code?

Think I must be sick.

Double day yesterday and a double day today.

World must be ending or something.

I did something to my calf on Friday. Over the weekend it got worse and started manifesting as an Achilles problem. Pain bad enough.

Normally I would try to run anyways but I am pushing on and Achilles do tend to go on older people so I'm going to be sensible and not run until it is seen on Wednesday.

• Advertisement

Think I must be sick.

Double day yesterday and a double day today.

World must be ending or something.
    I did something to my calf on Friday. Over the weekend it got worse and started manifesting as an Achilles problem. Pain bad enough.

Normally I would try to run anyways but I am pushing on and Achilles do tend to go on older people so I'm going to be sensible and not run until it is seen on Wednesday.

Think I figured out what I did after hitting "Submit Reply"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Ran in 2 different shoes with different drop? :pac:

pgibbo wrote: »
    Ran in 2 different shoes with different drop? :pac:

ho ho ho.

Thats two oh so funny posts now you have to pay for :)

Not going to happen

jan_run.png

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Not going to happen
    Ya think? :)

I dunno, start tonight and keep going?

Oryx wrote: »
    Ya think? :)

I dunno, start tonight and keep going?

Pretty fvcking pathetic monthly mileage.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Pretty fvcking pathetic monthly mileage.

For someone who set this as a running year, it is. Man up.

Oryx wrote: »
    For someone who set this as a running year, it is. Man up.

OHHHHH taste of own medicine.

Did you think 10km a day, every day for the month was realistic? Based on the December run streak?

mloc123 wrote: »
    Did you think 10km a day, every day for the month was realistic? Based on the December run streak?

Based on what happened in January, no it was not realistic as it did not happen.
    Based on what happened in December, yes it was realistic.

• Advertisement

Friday tried a ten minute run, agony. Back into the office whinging text sent to wife, MM, AKW and TMWTT. TMWTT responded and said "what? you're fine". I explained and later that evening he was checking it out again and taping it up (fitted me in between appointments). Inflamed bursa rather than the tendon. Sore but not as bad.

Weekend rest and try something today.

Working out my race calendar at the weekend - should be more fun as the wife and her brother are going to join me in 5ks and the marathon series up to and including the ten miler.

ojdms5.png

Assuming Achilles heals swiftly.

Since I am in a chart kind of mood.

20iubkn.png

It was agreed last week with TMWTT that although I am only targeting running this year I still need to bike and swim like a triathlete. Biking for strength, swimming for recovery. So basically same as I ever did but no triathlon races.

In that spirit my first turbo in lord knows how long

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/689360131

I'm not even going to compare to yesterday. It was a sweatfest though

Before Christmas I hurt my "leg". I was admonished for the level of detail I went into about muscles involved and similar.

A fortnight ago I hurt my "leg" and I said I hurt my Achilles. I knew I didn't, I suspected what the problems were but didn't elaborate. My suspicions were confirmed and I can treat accordingly. Its healing nicely. The pain manifests in and around the Achilles so its simpler to just say that. However its a mistake to confuse site of pain with source of pain. Just saying for anyone thinking of treating Achilles pain without understanding the source of the pain.

SLow down on the technical terms there... do you meain your 'walking meat' is sore?

mloc123 wrote: »
    SLow down on the technical terms there... do you meain your 'walking meat' is sore?

No no no, the bit below my neck

Anyways that particular fleshy bit is fine now so slowly reintroduced myself to training this week,

5km run Monday. Made sure the fleshy bit was well massaged and stretched.
    6km run Tuesday. Made sure the fleshy bit was well massaged and stretched.
    7km run Wednesday. Made sure the fleshy bit was well massaged and stretched.
    8km run Thursday. Made sure the fleshy bit was well massaged and stretched.

By the end of Thursday I'm happy that the fleshy bit is not ouchie anymore. 7km commute run today (Christmas party in work tonight so not cycling). The two fleshy bits that grow out of the bits that I put my shoes on a little blocked today but loosen up as the day went on. Ran with new Puma bag and barely noticed it.

BG turbo on Tuesday which was nice. Needed it to unwind. Swim on Wednesday. Although I spent more time under the water looking than swimming. Long chat about all this tri afterwards. Actually found myself remembering why I love the sport so much and found it both invigorating and motivating.

Plan for the weekend is a run tomorrow, then off Adventure racing Saturday and a run Sunday. Try to get more balance next week.

Injured fleshie bit was actually inflamed bursa and an spasmed gastrocnemius

Anyways that particular fleshy bit is fine now so slowly reintroduced myself to training this week,

5km run Monday. Made sure the fleshy bit was well massaged and stretched.
    6km run Tuesday. Made sure the fleshy bit was well massaged and stretched.
    7km run Wednesday. Made sure the fleshy bit was well massaged and stretched.
    8km run Thursday. Made sure the fleshy bit was well massaged and stretched.

By the end of Thursday I'm happy that the fleshy bit is not ouchie anymore. 7km commute run today (Christmas party in work tonight so not cycling). The two fleshy bits that grow out of the bits that I put my shoes on a little blocked today but loosen up as the day went on. Ran with new Puma bag and barely noticed it.

BG turbo on Tuesday which was nice. Needed it to unwind. Swim on Wednesday. Although I spent more time under the water looking than swimming. Long chat about all this tri afterwards. Actually found myself remembering why I love the sport so much and found it both invigorating and motivating.

Plan for the weekend is a run tomorrow, then off Adventure racing Saturday and a run Sunday. Try to get more balance next week.

Injured fleshie bit was actually inflamed bursa and an spasmed gastrocnemius

Apologies I appear to have caused some confusion. When I say "adventure racing" I'm doing zip lining, paint balling and quad biking in a series of muddy fields. Its the same thing thought right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Seeing as you are on the subject, tell us what kind of runner are you? :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement