Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rookie's diary part two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I am at a bit of a loss as to my goals - there is Blacksod olympic triathlon (goal being 2:5x finish and to fit in my wetsuit) but other than that I need something.

I'm thinking 5kms and 10kms this side of Christmas. Jingle Bells 5km and Aware 10km perhaps.

I'm even thinking of joining a running club. Its been years since I ran for/with Rathfarnham WSAF and I'm thinking a return to a club would be good. Given where I now live and work, and given the kids have arrived since those days, I'm not commuting to Rathfarnham for running. (Plus there is an associated club I would prefer to avoid). Clonliffe is 700m from my house, only question is are they too serious/fast for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

tunney wrote: »
    Clonliffe is 700m from my house, only question is are they too serious/fast for me?

You'll be grand
    Fit 4 Life Group – €20.00 joining fee plus €2.00 per week (not full membership of Clonliffe)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

Just do it - you know all abilities will be there and you wont be last round the track - within a few months you will be in good shape.

Don't do Fit4 Life - we both know that is not what is required here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Mr Tango wrote: »
    Just do it - you know all abilities will be there and you wont be last round the track - within a few months you will be in good shape.

Up early today Tango, did you swim?

RayCun wrote: »
    Mr Tango wrote: »

I like to think that Ray was taking the pi$$.

Yes I am slow but not that slow.

• Advertisement

Monday|Swim 2km easy|Reasonable swim, I had been concerned about being out of the water yet. Last time I was hitting 2:05 per 100m which is basically drowning. Despite nothing in ages 1:50 or less per hundred. Albeit 2km is a very short swim. Fun being back in the water. Plus I had forgotten how much easier shaving after a swim is
    Tuesday|Threshold turbo|A gentle reintroduction to the CT. Descending duration, increasing intensity intervals.
    |Additional easy run|Nice day,nice run, wasn't on the programme but am free to add extra easy sessions as long as no impact on anything else.
    Wednesday|Run with pickups|A hot and sweaty run. Legs just felt weird. Struggled on anyways and ended up a sweaty mess back in the office. Hopefully the showers are fixed soon.
    Thursday|Strength turbo|My Computrainer and laptop acted the cvnt and I lost 20 minutes before this. Laptop needs some TLC and the computrainer may need a new cable (and to be used). After than into 50 minutes of perverse pleasure/pain.
    Friday|Swim 2km easy/steady|This was actually more steady/fast than easy steady. Was late in the pool so had less gobsh1tes to deal with
    |Pacey run|A fun run, reckon could only do a 44 10km at the minute though.
    Saturday|Longer run
    Sunday|Ride my bike outside

I had to switch Saturday and Sunday around for logistical reasons. Enjoying this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

....Enjoying this ......

Didn't think I'd ever see these words in this log in reference to training. 5 days in a row :eek: Tunneys on a roll!

Monday|Swim 2km easy|Reasonable swim, I had been concerned about being out of the water yet. Last time I was hitting 2:05 per 100m which is basically drowning. Despite nothing in ages 1:50 or less per hundred. Albeit 2km is a very short swim. Fun being back in the water. Plus I had forgotten how much easier shaving after a swim is
    Tuesday|Threshold turbo|A gentle reintroduction to the CT. Descending duration, increasing intensity intervals.
    |Additional easy run|Nice day,nice run, wasn't on the programme but am free to add extra easy sessions as long as no impact on anything else.
    Wednesday|Run with pickups|A hot and sweaty run. Legs just felt weird. Struggled on anyways and ended up a sweaty mess back in the office. Hopefully the showers are fixed soon.
    Thursday|Strength turbo|My Computrainer and laptop acted the cvnt and I lost 20 minutes before this. Laptop needs some TLC and the computrainer may need a new cable (and to be used). After than into 50 minutes of perverse pleasure/pain.
    Friday|Swim 2km easy/steady|This was actually more steady/fast than easy steady. Was late in the pool so had less gobsh1tes to deal with
    |additional cycle|Had to extend my commute in the evening on the bike, enough to count as training.
    Saturday|Longer run

Sometimes commuting is good training.

|additional cycle|Had to extend my commute in the evening on the bike, enough to count as training.
    Saturday|Longer run| Binned this session a third the way in. Was off all day. Dragged myself out anyways. Knew I was in trouble straight away. Chest closed and raw. I've not been taking my asthma drugs but I do really need to. I've gone back to my old rule - 100% of sessions must be started but I'd after 25% of the session things are still grim it's okay to bin t session and remain guilty free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Look what those asthma drugs did for Mo today, don't skip taking them ;)

• Advertisement

Look what those asthma drugs did for Mo today, don't skip taking them ;)

Our was that the thyroid meds? For a man who has so many many conditions he runs well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Our was that the thyroid meds? For a man who has so many many conditions he runs well.

As Dick Pound wryly put it, "It's great to see so many of these athletes overcome their disabilities and compete to world-class level" (tongue firmly in cheek)

Date|Weight
    24th Jun 2013|13st 4
    1st Jul 2013|13st 4
    8th Jul 2013|13st 3
    15th Jul 2013|13st
    22nd Jul 2013|12st 12.4
    29th Jul 2013|12st 12.4
    5th Aug 2013|12st 12.4
    12th Aug 2013|12st 10.2

Saturday|Longer run| Binned this session a third the way in. Was off all day. Dragged myself out anyways. Knew I was in trouble straight away. Chest closed and raw. I've not been taking my asthma drugs but I do really need to. I've gone back to my old rule - 100% of sessions must be started but I'd after 25% of the session things are still grim it's okay to bin t session and remain guilty free.
    Sunday|Ride my bike outside|Rode my bike outside. A fortuitous wind direction meant the 140km was done in 4:26

Week 1333 plan

Monday|Club swim session
    Tuesday|Threshold turbo
    Wednesday|Run with pickups
    Thursday|Strength turbo
    Friday|Swim 2km easy/steady
    |Pacey run
    Saturday|Ride my bike outside
    Sunday|Longer run

A repeat of last week in terms of structure but longer intervals on the turbo and different running sets

Fridays ride
    Time: 5:11
    Dist: 139.5km
    TSS: 296
    AP: 152 watts
    NP: 174 watts
    AHR: 138 bpm

Sundays ride
    Time: 4:26
    Dist: 139.5km
    TSS: 313
    AP: 175 watts
    NP: 193 watts
    AHR: 145 bpm

Week 1332 numbers
    Swim dist: 4km
    Swim time: 1:25
    Bike dist: 300km
    Bike time: 10:27
    Run dist: 38.45
    Run time: 3:11
    Total time: 15:02

A solid week. Saturdays aborted long run being the only bad session. The illness was masking the asthma (wasn't training) so thought it was gone and got caught short. Need to get in the habit of taking inhalers regularly. A good start though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I presume you were in Cavan then for the weekend! Thats a long commute alright

Yup Cavan. Had the option of borrowing a car (can't afford two cars, not with the taxes required with supporting spongers) or getting the bus. I knew that 2x140km was beyond me but HTFU time.

Fecked today.

Week 1333 plan

Monday|Club swim session
    |Additional easy run|Mr Tango asked did I fancy a lunch run, why not. Windy day and upset tummy. *barely* made it back in time, TMI I know.
    Tuesday|Threshold turbo
    Thursday|Strength turbo
    |Pacey run
    Sunday|Longer run

I've not really swam since June. I've put on a side of weight and tonight will be fun. Everyone in my club is pretty close. Everyone knows how "sensitive" I am. I look forward to the pay back tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Is there a hang over the speedos?

Week 1333 plan

Monday|Club swim session
    |Additional easy run|Mr Tango asked did I fancy a lunch run, why not. Windy day and upset tummy. *barely* made it back in time, TMI I know.
    Tuesday|Threshold turbo
    Thursday|Strength turbo
    |Pacey run
    Sunday|Longer run

I've not really swam since June. I've put on a side of weight and tonight will be fun. Everyone in my club is pretty close. Everyone knows how "sensitive" I am. I look forward to the pay back tonight.

Swimming in Tallaght tonight?

Bambaata wrote: »
    Is there a hang over the speedos?
    mloc123 wrote: »
    Swimming in Tallaght tonight?

HAHAHA You'll both be scared after tonight.

HAHAHA You'll both be scared after tonight.

We can have a belly off ;) Eddie to judge

We can have a belly off ;) Eddie to judge

Only if we can follow it up with a swim off...........

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

If only I bring a camera tonight!

Week 1333 plan

Monday|Club swim session|Decent swim, main set was fast 100s, was hitting low 1:20s fading to high 1:20s. I've reverted to pulling my hand out very very early. Something to work on.
    Tuesday|Threshold turbo
    Thursday|Strength turbo
    |Pacey run
    Sunday|Longer run

Tango had to get a second lane as myself and mloc couldn't fit in the same lane.

Week 1333 plan

Monday|Club swim session|Decent swim, main set was fast 100s, was hitting low 1:20s fading to high 1:20s. I've reverted to pulling my hand out very very early. Something to work on.
    Tuesday|Threshold turbo
    Thursday|Strength turbo
    |Pacey run
    Sunday|Longer run

Tango had to get a second lane as myself and mloc couldn't fit in the same lane.

It was quite embarrassing when we both ended up wedged in the lane passing each other.

It was quite embarrassing when we both ended up wedged in the lane passing each other.

Thank god for the moveable floor and walls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Well, at least it sounds as if there is no risk of you boys drowning with all that excess buoyancy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement