Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rookie's diary part two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

BTH wrote: »
    especially considering I don't know the guy. .

Bet by the end of the night everyone is BFF :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Anyways I think we should have to skull a can on crossing the line at the very least.

No issue for me, I'll be last and can get handed one by someone.
    Liam - could be an issue, if he wins who gives him his can?
    Fran - also an issue, unless we can persuade the water safety crew to have one in the rescue boat for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

tunney wrote: »
    Anyways I think we should have to skull a can on crossing the line at the very least.

No issue for me, I'll be last and can get handed one by someone.
    Liam - could be an issue, if he wins who gives him his can?
    Fran - also an issue, unless we can persuade the water safety crew to have one in the rescue boat for him.

Sure I'll sort out Liam with a can. If you lads a boozing the night before I fancy my chances ;)

I'll chuck another into the sea after the bike leg for Fran.

I am under no illusions as to Blacksod. I am in horrific shape and I will get destroyed by all and sundry. I will enjoy it though.

Some issues though :
    * My front wheel is borked. I'm not going to have time to fix it before the race. I will have to borrow one.
    * My Cervelo hasn't left its home since Roth it needs a service
    * My Cervelo is set up for wired SRMs. I no longer have wired SRMs
    * I won't fit in my wetsuit, may have to go to my ten year old one
    * I won't fit in my club trisuit, nor would I disgrace it with my shape and performance anyways

If I get my ass in gear I can deal with the above in time :)

Race plan wise given what I have read on the boards recently
    * Swim : only do 750m, no one will notice
    * Bike : either sit on someones wheel or get a lift in a car, again no will notice/care/do anything about it
    * Run : ride a mountain bike

(I am of course joking, my race plan will be survive and smile)

On a positive note today I cannot walk. I've run alot over the last few days and my legs are complaining. Its a nice sensation though.

However I have fallen into the habit regularly demonstrated (and documented on ART), both by coached and uncoached athletes. I'm training what I am good at and what makes me feel good rather than what makes me good.

I am under no illusions as to Blacksod. I am in horrific shape and I will get destroyed by all and sundry. I will enjoy it though.

Some issues though :
    * My front wheel is borked. I'm not going to have time to fix it before the race. I will have to borrow one.
    * My Cervelo hasn't left its home since Roth it needs a service
    * My Cervelo is set up for wired SRMs. I no longer have wired SRMs
    * I won't fit in my wetsuit, may have to go to my ten year old one
    * I won't fit in my club trisuit, nor would I disgrace it with my shape and performance anyways

If I get my ass in gear I can deal with the above in time :)

Race plan wise given what I have read on the boards recently
    * Swim : only do 750m, no one will notice
    * Bike : either sit on someones wheel or get a lift in a car, again no will notice/care/do anything about it
    * Run : ride a mountain bike

(I am of course joking, my race plan will be survive and smile)

On a positive note today I cannot walk. I've run alot over the last few days and my legs are complaining. Its a nice sensation though.

However I have fallen into the habit regularly demonstrated (and documented on ART), both by coached and uncoached athletes. I'm training what I am good at and what makes me feel good rather than what makes me good.

Whats ART?? :D

Been looking at Blacksod, and there doesn't seem to be any accommodation left in the area. Damn me an my leaving it late. Plenty of rooms on the Friday night alright, but nothing on Saturday so I'll not be hanging round for a piss up unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Whats ART?? :D

Been looking at Blacksod, and there doesn't seem to be any accommodation left in the area. Damn me an my leaving it late. Plenty of rooms on the Friday night alright, but nothing on Saturday so I'll not be hanging round for a piss up unfortunately.

TDM then :)

Pi$$ up is in Newry :)

TDM then :)

Pi$$ up is in Newry :)

You're going to Newry after the race? Madness

I'll see your round ass down there anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Will your wheels support your new race weight for Blacksod???? :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

pgibbo wrote: »
    Will your wheels support your new race weight for Blacksod???? :D :pac:

Looks like I could be loaning out some of my gear for the weekend!

To clarify I have about 6 front wheels that are fine but all are standard box rims.

Race wheels need TLC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

You're going to Newry after the race? Madness

I'll see your round ass down there anyway..

I plan on having a few on Fri night, hydration is very important.

I plan on having a few on Fri night, hydration is very important.

I'll be inspecting bike bottles before the race...

I'll be inspecting bike bottles before the race...

One of the lads in the club, in his 60s, only brings 1 bidon with him for his long cycles - Guinness. That does him for 3 to 4 hour spins :D

One of the lads in the club, in his 60s, only brings 1 bidon with him for his long cycles - Guinness. That does him for 3 to 4 hour spins :D

I'll not be sitting on his wheel, thats for sure.

Right so. Bed early last night, swimming this morning. Sister in law staying with us so in the back room with Eoin. He has gotten alot better and as long as some one is in the room and he has "teddy" he is fine. Goes to sleep after a while (hour) with no fight and stays asleep (usually). He does snore though.

Middle of night screams from Aoibhe's room. In I went (I wake before everyone else, light sleeper and great hearing). "DADDY DADDY DADDY MONSTERS IN MY EYES". Only way to get her to calm down was to grab a sleeping bag and sleep on the hard wood floor. I say sleep but that didn't happen really. Although I most have fallen asleep as I was woken by a little girl who had forgotten all about what happened during the night and that Daddy was on the floor standing on my head.

Head, neck, hips in bits and late for work never mind swimming but wouldn't change it for the world. That's what Daddys are for, being there for their children. I might be fat, I might be slow, I might have regrets later in life but not being there for my kids is not going to be one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Right so. Bed early last night, swimming this morning. Sister in law staying with us so in the back room with Eoin. He has gotten alot better and as long as some one is in the room and he has "teddy" he is fine. Goes to sleep after a while (hour) with no fight and stays asleep (usually). He does snore though.

Middle of night screams from Aoibhe's room. In I went (I wake before everyone else, light sleeper and great hearing). "DADDY DADDY DADDY MONSTERS IN MY EYES". Only way to get her to calm down was to grab a sleeping bag and sleep on the hard wood floor. I say sleep but that didn't happen really. Although I most have fallen asleep as I was woken by a little girl who had forgotten all about what happened during the night and that Daddy was on the floor standing on my head.

Head, neck, hips in bits and late for work never mind swimming but wouldn't change it for the world. That's what Daddys are for, being there for their children. I might be fat, I might be slow, I might have regrets later in life but not being there for my kids is not going to be one of them.

You paint a nice but very busy picture of parenthood... almost scary busy

mloc123 wrote: »

it is very busy and constantly changing. Last night I went from out cycling with our little lad to cleaning up his puke an hour later. The joys of teething

Look this time next month the choice will be out of your hands. You will be married and doomed. MU WUUUUU HAHAHAHAHAHA

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I can smell your fear.

Oryx wrote: »
    I can smell your fear.

Maybe that explains the proposed huge increase in bike miles..........

• Advertisement

"I remember in April 2007 heading away on my first training camp to Italy, with Belpark tri club. I remember meeting a guy in airport, who looked like a skeleton. His eyes were that sunk in his skull they protruded out the back. That guy had HTFU & dedication by the bucket load.

Remember him Dave? ;-)"

Got this email from a friend today.
    Had similar comments from herself recently.

Dare I say it..... is it time to just HTFU, SIU and STFUP..........

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Its been time for quite some time.

Oryx wrote: »
    I can smell your fear.

hah, I am only a 'young lad' not even 30 yet.. :)

"I remember in April 2007 heading away on my first training camp to Italy, with Belpark tri club. I remember meeting a guy in airport, who looked like a skeleton. His eyes were that sunk in his skull they protruded out the back. That guy had HTFU & dedication by the bucket load.

Remember him Dave? ;-)"

Got this email from a friend today.
    Had similar comments from herself recently.

do you have pics of yourself from back then? I am quite interested to see just how different somebody can look with 2/3 stone off.

Post Lisboa Half 2008 (4:11 - and yes that is me and Peter Kerns in the same photo)

gq18.th.jpg

Eireman National Middle distance champs 2008 (2nd in AG, 8th overall)

7ad4.jpg

Naas Duathlon 2009 3rd

9q6v.jpg

Kilcock Draft leagal 2009 (3rd)

nq5l.jpg

kp2p.jpg

ozv6.jpg

North Tipp Sprint 2009 (1st)

sbmf.jpg

Garadice Lake Sprint 2009 (1st)

bgrk.jpg

3ok5.jpg

Austria 2009 (Hospital)

img5213uq.jpg

Prep Austria 2010

nfor.jpg

Post Austria 2010 (9:51)

dmmy.jpg

o7pq.jpg

y91k.th.jpg

80no.jpg

Man I feel fat now

Great series of pics but you forgot a current pic ;)

What's STFUP? Is it Shut The F Up?

Great series of pics but you forgot a current pic ;)

What's STFUP? Is it Shut The F Up?

Deliberate

Shut The Fvck Up Princess

IIRC I met you at Kilcock in 2009, you looked more gaunt in the flesh.

That is only 2 stone less than now? 2 stone is piss easy to lose.. as I tell myself. It is just the initial month or so that is hard.

IIRC I met you at Kilcock in 2009, you looked more gaunt in the flesh.

That is only 2 stone less than now? 2 stone is piss easy to lose.. as I tell myself. It is just the initial month or so that is hard.

Yes the photos add a few pounds.

Nope - its three stone now.

• Advertisement

More from Austria 2010

One of the best days of my life - day after the race, at the lake, surrounded by family.

7m27.th.jpg

87t5.th.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement