Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rookie's diary part two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Great series of pics.

I was in Lisbon in 2008. You're the only person I've seen that makes Chris U look heavy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Date|Weight
    24th Jun 2013|13st 4
    1st Jul 2013|13st 4
    8th Jul 2013|13st 3
    15th Jul 2013|13st
    22nd Jul 2013|12st 12.4
    29th Jul 2013|12st 12.4
    5th Aug 2013|12st 12.4
    12th Aug 2013|12st 10.2
    19th Aug 2013|12st 12.9
    26th Aug 2013|12st 10.8
    2nd Sept 2013|13st 0.2
    9th Sept 2013|12st 12

A 58-year-old Uruguayan man who disappeared four months ago in the remote Andes mountains was found alive on Sunday, after he spent a brutal winter eating rats and raisins to survive, local media reported.
    Sugar, raisins, rats and the shelter's leftover supplies kept Gómez alive through the southern hemisphere's winter. He lost 20kgs (44 pounds) during the ordeal and is dehydrated

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/09/uruguayan-alive-lost-andes

Thats about the amount I have to lose to get back to race weight, given I have been there ( and getting there from 11st was tough) this is going to be "fun"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

tunney wrote: »
    More from Austria 2010

One of the best days of my life - day after the race, at the lake, surrounded by family.

7m27.th.jpg

87t5.th.jpg

Surrounded by family - theres no-one with you but your daughter :confused:

I love the top picture, reminds me of this legend, RIP Wacko

02Jacko-baby-dangl_1431578i.jpg

catweazle wrote: »
    Surrounded by family - theres no-one with you but your daughter :confused:

Yes the photograph of me feeding Aoibhe on the balcony is a selfie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/09/uruguayan-alive-lost-andes

Thats about the amount I have to lose to get back to race weight, given I have been there ( and getting there from 11st was tough) this is going to be "fun"

Well you know what to do... sugar, rats and raisins.. the three main food groups.

Monday 9th September 2013

First day back.

A last minute lunch time meeting canned my lunch run. By the sounds of the meeting life will get interesting - in a mostly good but busy way.

Second part of the plan was a turbo in the evening. Mostly done. My mam called over and I had to cut sort my trip around the IM Wisconsin course.
    Took me a good while to get my turbo set up right as its been a while.

Badness
    AM four gingernut biscuits
    PM four dark chocolate digestives. I don't even like these biscuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

We could start a biscuit consumption table :pac:

Lunch run today not happening, finding running difficult with so many people having their heads up my hole. Obviously not as difficult as it would be if I was clinically obese but still difficult enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Date|Weight
    24th Jun 2013|13st 4
    1st Jul 2013|13st 4
    8th Jul 2013|13st 3
    15th Jul 2013|13st
    22nd Jul 2013|12st 12.4
    29th Jul 2013|12st 12.4
    5th Aug 2013|12st 12.4
    12th Aug 2013|12st 10.2
    19th Aug 2013|12st 12.9
    26th Aug 2013|12st 10.8
    2nd Sept 2013|13st 0.2
    9th Sept 2013|12st 12

6 pounds in 3 months, not great progress but keep it up !! Its hard for us fatties;)

• Advertisement

6 pounds in 3 months, not great progress but keep it up !! Its hard for us fatties;)

Yup - being overweight hurts, especially when running. Although I'm not sure I could class 5 minute kms as running. By Christmas I'll be back running though.

Yup - being overweight hurts, especially when running. Although I'm not sure I could class 5 minute kms as running. By Christmas I'll be back running though.

Good to hear ! Hows the diet ? What basis are you using the get the weight down ? Is it a scientific one ?

Good to hear ! Hows the diet ? What basis are you using the get the weight down ? Is it a scientific one ?

I'm not. I'm aware that I am overweight but I am doing nothing about it, I'm still eating all the crap I shouldn't and portion sizes are too big too.

I'm not. I'm aware that I am overweight but I am doing nothing about it, I'm still eating all the crap I shouldn't and portion sizes are too big too.

If you're not doing anything about it why keep putting your weight up on your log ?

If you're not doing anything about it why keep putting your weight up on your log ?

Because I have tracked my weight for over ten years, its a metric that I monitor and observe. It will drive my choice of runner for runs, tyre pressure on the bike, distances I will attempt to run, multi day runs etc etc.

Over a particular weight I won't run too long or too often as that's just asking for a stress fracture or some other serious injury.

Chunky people need to be careful, much more careful, about injuries.
    Us fatties need to pay much more attention to injury prevention than runners, triathletes and other athletes.

Because I have tracked my weight for over ten years, its a metric that I monitor and observe. It will drive my choice of runner for runs, tyre pressure on the bike, distances I will attempt to run, multi day runs etc etc.

Over a particular weight I won't run too long or too often as that's just asking for a stress fracture or some other serious injury.

Chunky people need to be careful, much more careful, about injuries.
    Us fatties need to pay much more attention to injury prevention than runners, triathletes and other athletes.

With the weight changes has the muscle mass changed or has that stayed static with just "padding" being added !

Ya i'd hate to get a stress fracture, a real skinny lad did 5 marathons with me recently and got one.

With the weight changes has the muscle mass changed or has that stayed static with just "padding" being added !

Ya i'd hate to get a stress fracture, a real skinny lad did 5 marathons with me recently and got one.

I'm sure in this case "real skinny" is a relative term.

Muscle mass would have decreased as well. I've no quads now.

I'm sure in this case "real skinny" is a relative term.

Muscle mass would have decreased as well. I've no quads now.

No he's had problems putting on weight for years ! So even skinny people get injured, who'd have guessed !

Well good luck with the rest of the year. I hope your quads reappear.

No he's had problems putting on weight for years ! So even skinny people get injured, who'd have guessed !

104kg is skinny. Interesting. I must be anorexic.
    Well good luck with the rest of the year. I hope your quads reappear.

Thanks.

104kg is skinny. Interesting. I must be anorexic.

Thanks.

104kg ???

no this guy is 71kg............

• Advertisement

104kg ???

no this guy is 71kg............

Wow. Respect. He went from 104kg in December 2012 to 71kg August 2013. Thats serious weight loss.

33kg in 7/8 months that is epic. Respect.

I am of course being pedantic and talking about the publicised tibia stress fracture and not the fractured foot.

The fractured foot which, as it wasn't described as a stress fracture in the foot, could have been gotten by kicking something or something driving over it, or someone large standing on it.

I am of course being pedantic and talking about the publicised tibia stress fracture and not the fractured foot.

The fractured foot which, as it wasn't described as a stress fracture in the foot, could have been gotten by kicking something or something driving over it, or someone large standing on it.

Could but wasn't;) He's waiting on an MRI to confirm all !

Could but wasn't;) He's waiting on an MRI to confirm all !

So as it stands there was one confirmed stress fracture and that belonged to a "robust" individual?

The other fracture has not been confirmed as a stress fracture.

So the 71kg guy has a sore foot.
    The 104kg guy actually has a stress fracture of his tibia.

So as it stands there was one confirmed stress fracture and that belonged to a "robust" individual?

The other fracture has not been confirmed as a stress fracture.

So the 71kg guy has a sore foot.
    The 104kg guy actually has a stress fracture of his tibia.

No MRI this morning, broken bones in this foot. Cast for 6 weeks.

Fattie here, i'll be back out on the road on Sunday plodding away.

104kg guy has indeed a stress fracture and finished 2 marathons with it, so big respect from me.

No MRI this morning, broken bones in this foot. Cast for 6 weeks.

Fattie here, i'll be back out on the road on Sunday plodding away.

104kg guy has indeed a stress fracture and finished 2 marathons with it, so big respect from me.

No one could have seen the stress fracture happening
    At least it raised loads of money
    At least it was a must do event
    At least it will have huge benefits on long term fitness
    Thank god it there is no risk of it causing long term injuries
    At least it impressed loads of people
    At least it earned a load of respect
    At least everyone lost a load of weight on it and is now trim and lean
    Hope everyone gets well soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

MOD Note
    I'm fed up of you two. You were told in the other thread, you have continued on here (it's not difficult to read between the lines), you have now received warnings, I will send you on holiday.

*sigh*

BTH wrote: »
    MOD Note
    I'm fed up of you two. You were told in the other thread, you have continued on here (it's not difficult to read between the lines), you have now received warnings, I will send you on holiday.

*sigh*

So its what you "think" is being said........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

So its what you "think" is being said........:rolleyes:

MOD Note
    It doesn't take much thinking. Happy Holiday.

• Advertisement

Anyways was going to post this this morning before........

I'm a numbers man, and I've done Frankfurt before so I have the data to steer my spreadsheets calculations. I know when my athletes do similar I boll_ck them out of it but hey do as I say not as I do. (I also use a bit more experience and alot more realism than some)

Base on having to do it at the weekend, in coolish conditions.......

Swim 1:16
    2 minutes per hundred, I think its the slowest I can actually swim. I reckon I would start at 1:45 and fade out to 2:10 but average 2 - much like Roth last year. Although Frankfurt is often very short swim wise, 2012 was rather short and I suspect 2011 but not as much, I gather 2013 was closer to 3.8.

Bike 6:00
    Given same equipment and new body weight 160 watts AP knowing my Cda and Crr would get me around in that time

Run 4:15
    Assuming I don't get food poisoning again 5:40s average would be the best I could hope for now. I'm fat (for me, slim for others) and detrained.

Based on form 11:41. Also known as "fvcked if I am going to Germany for this".

Not letting Warwick the Brick totally crush me. Beat me yes, crush me no. As for Tango and Nestle can't have that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement