Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rookie's diary part two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

tunney wrote: »
    Bike 6:00
    Given same equipment and new body weight 160 watts AP knowing my Cda and Crr would get me around in that time

I would have thought your bike prediction would be faster than this, I would have thought that at the moment until you get back to a svelte 10'4 it would have been your strongest discipline by a long way

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

catweazle wrote: »
    I would have thought your bike prediction would be faster than this, I would have thought that at the moment until you get back to a svelte 10'4 it would have been your strongest discipline by a long way

If he rode his bike...

Frankfurt bike is a fat mans dream, 2 hills and that is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

catweazle wrote: »

Oh yes but I have not ridden my bike really in months. Holding an AP of 160 would be an NP of about 180 and anything about that is beyond me without being hosed completely. Although with some training it would be up a good bit.

mloc123 wrote: »
    If he rode his bike...

Frankfurt bike is a fat mans dream, 2 hills and that is it.

Em two big hills, done twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Based on form 11:41. Also known as "fvcked if I am going to Germany for this".

Not letting Warwick the Brick totally crush me. Beat me yes, crush me no.

Don't worry, i will likely be attacked by some German guy dressed as a Frankfurt sausage and taken down to the ground on the run.

But if its incident free, based on your current assumptions....yeah you gonna get crushed alright:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

Sandbagging already.

Shocking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the next while I will be doing my own weekly training plans but with a over view coming from Mr Monkey. Focus for the next while is aerobic only - no strength no intensity for a few weeks (ignoring Blacksod here).

Medium term goal is to hit 1st January happy swimming 3km, riding 3 hours and running 1:30. Obviously I could do all that now without issue but being happy doing it implies swimming at a reasonable pace, running at a reasonable pace and riding at a respectable wattage.

I'm drawing a line under everything to here (again), rest of this week written off as get ready for Blacksod and survive Blacksod. Need to find wetsuit, assemble TT bike, find a trisuit that fits, etc. With that in mind here is next weeks plan. Was meant to be going to a wedding but babysitters are proving problematic. On the plus side babysitters might get easier as himself is starting to go to sleep without fights - which is good, he did however wake up terrified last night when three Mini Mouse teddies fell on his head. A full on week next week but as a wise man once said "Suck it up buttercup, HTFU and GID".

Monday

Swim
    Duration (P): 0:45:00
    Distance (P): 2100 meters
    Workout Description:
    200sw,200p,100k
    4x50 as 25 dr, 25 sw + 15s
    4x50 on 70 des 1-4
    7x100 alt sw/p on 2:10
    4x50 fast on 70
    100k,100p,100sw

Run
    Duration (P): 0:40:00
    Distance (P): 8 kilometers
    Workout Description:
    Easy

Tuesday

Run
    Duration (P): 0:50:00
    Distance (P): 10 kilometers
    Workout Description:
    Easy

Bike
    Duration (P): 1:00:00
    Distance (P): 25 kilometers
    Workout Description:
    10 easy
    5x(30sec build, 30sec easy)
    2x(230 + watts, 5 easy)
    5 easy

Wednesday
    Swim
    Distance (P): 2200 meters
    Workout Description:
    200sw,4x50 as 25 dr, 25 sw
    200p, 4x50 on 70 des 1-4
    5x200 alt sw/p on 4:10
    4x50 as 25 fast, 25 easy on 70
    200 choice easy

Run
    Distance (P): 9 kilometers
    Workout Description:
    Easy - include 5x(30sec build, 30sec easy)

Bike
    Duration (P): 1:00:00
    Distance (P): 25 kilometers
    Workout Description:
    Just ride

Thursday

Run : Long run
    Duration (P): 1:20:00
    Distance (P): 16 kilometers
    Workout Description:
    Easy - use run walk

Friday

Swim
    Distance (P): 2300 meters
    Workout Description:
    300sw,200p,100k
    4x50 as 25 dr, 25 sw + 15s
    4x50 on 70 des 1-4
    8x100 alt sw/p + 15s
    4x50 as 25 fast, 25 easy on 70
    100k,100p,100sw

Run
    Workout Description:
    20 easy
    15 steady
    5 mod
    5 easy

Saturday

Bike
    Duration (P): 3:00:00
    Distance (P): 75 kilometers
    Workout Description:
    Just ride

Sunday

Run
    Workout Description:
    Just run

Total time: 12:30
    Swim dist: 6600m
    Bike dist : 125km
    Run dist: 61km
    Swim time: 2:25
    Bike time: 5:00
    Run time 5:05
    Planned TSS: 855

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

...he did however wake up terrified last night when three Mini Mouse teddies fell on his head.
    Sure they 'fell'. Sure they did.

Revenge by disney character, eh?

Plan for this morning was a short swim, home, drop Aoibhe to playschool and then into work. The last two bits happened. Eoin is getting the last of his teeth ("Does Eoin have 20 teeth yet Daddy?" "no" "Ahhhhh man"), he was in bits last night and waking every ten minutes. All he wanted was Daddy he is going through that phase the last month or two where only Daddy will do - I remember the phase with Aoibhe and I remember it ending so I am going to enjoy it while it lasts as it will end :( So every 10-20 minutes he would wake, cry, then realise he was in bed with me and head back to sleep. At 0600 I *could* have plonked him into Glenda and gone to the pool but they are off to Cavan this evening and I won't see them until Sunday so I'll just swim after work.

Going to be busy after work - swimming, finding my original wetsuit from 2004, assembling my bike and packing for Blacksod. If I can do an IM on little training I'm sure I can do an olympic on none.

Next week it all starts and I am looking forward to it.

Tummy can't tumble

Chatting with some of the lads about the weekend

30 swim
    1:30 bike
    50 run

I "ran" at lunch and it wasn't pretty. 5 minutes a km. Its exactly a month since I swam and I *know* I'll be kneeing my belly on the TT bike. I should get in under the 3 hour mark, going to be unpleasant though.

I suppose the thing is all races hurt the same once you learn to go to your happy place, its just the speed that changes. Usually this pain is offset by the sense of satisfaction but there can be no such thing on Saturday. I know that as long as I pace myself I can complete an event of any distance. I will go as fast as I can but more to get back to the van asap than anything else as the rest will be waiting on me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Is it a very hilly bike course? I'm no eh.. Chris Horner myself but 1:30 sounds awful slow.

Basster wrote: »
    Is it a very hilly bike course? I'm no eh.. Chris Horner myself but 1:30 sounds awful slow.

http://www.strava.com/activities/22894498

Assuming this lad isn't using an ergomo or stages 233 watts average for a 1:16, normalized I suspect in the region of 260, plus he looks lighter than me at the minute.

That's of course assuming I don't "go with the flow" and adopt the new TI rules "No nipples but drafting is fine" (I won't)

Told Glenda about the "no nudity and nipples" rules, she laughed and suggested I get a pair of fake boobs in the joke shop and do the race in them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Hills, west of Ireland winds and an extra kg or 2 is the killer. Winds should sort out the hangover though, we're getting a lot of lazy winds here at the moment.

Hills, west of Ireland winds and an extra kg or 2 is the killer. Winds should sort out the hangover though, we're getting a lot of lazy winds here at the moment.

In our own special olympics comprising of the fat lad, the dwarf and the awkward lad we will all be winners.

Least it will lull Warwick into a false sense of security.

Its been pointed out to me that 32kph is 1:23 so that 1:30 figure is total sh1t and based on the wattage from that strava link. Which obviously was done on a ergomo or a dodgy powertap.

1:25 including T1 then
    the run time including T2

Done and dusted in 2:45

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Its been pointed out to me that 32kph is 1:23 so that 1:30 figure is total sh1t and based on the wattage from that strava link. Which obviously was done on a ergomo or a dodgy powertap.

If you don't have a power meter Strava guesstimates your power so I wouldn't pay too much attention to the power numbers on there.

This guy did it in less than 10 minutes. :)

https://vimeo.com/74908326

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

My prediction:
    27-28 swim
    74ish bike
    44 run
    3 trans

Scrape in under 2.30 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

griffin100 wrote: »
    My prediction:
    27-28 swim
    74ish bike
    44 run
    3 trans

Scrape in under 2.30 :)

I'd listen to Griffin - he predicted my half marathon time this past weekend to the second!

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I'd listen to Griffin - he predicted my half marathon time this past weekend to the second!

LOL - I'd take that time but I'm seriously tubby at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

LOL - I'd take that time but I'm seriously tubby at the minute.

I was being conservative as well ;)

Race day face and all that :cool:

Left work on a half day Friday, home, LCD and jackback at the house, loaded van, drove to Belmullet - a long drive. Lads went for a run, I had a nap in the van. Registered and back to the B&B. Finished assembling my bike and then off for dinner and drinks, too many drinks. Home for ten and into bed.

Morning rolled around and it was miserable and windy. Over to the race site, racked up and listened to the race briefing. Race Ref: "Now if you draft on this very very windy course, for which the wind is a head wind for 21km then the worst the penalty will be is 2 minutes." Cue crowd collectively saying "wow thats worth it".

Met BTH (he is that ginger and skinny) and fazz. Got into my wetsuit (took jackyback and BTH to get me in. First time in a wetsuit since Roth 2012.

Into the cold cold water, took a conservative positioning - no OW swimming in 14 months and no swimming in over a month. After what seemed like an enternity off we went. I think that the buoys on this race were the best ones that I have experienced in Ireland. Lots of them, visible, different colour to the swim hats they gave out. So really I had no excuse for swimming so far off course. After the first turn got battered by the waves, at which point I rememberd I've not swam in the sea in three years. While later the jellies started. Stung on my hands and neck. I wasn't finishing my stroke, my catch was terrible and my turnover so so slow.

Finally out of the water, over to my bike. The almighty c0ck who was racked beside me had thrown his wetsuit on my bike snapping the elastics for the shoes. On with a roubaix jacket at which point jackyback was out of the water and shouting "i'm coming for you Tunney."

Out of T1, could NOT get my feet into the shoes. Stopped and got off the bike 500m in, on with shoes and off I went. (only reason you biked faster hobbit head). On I went, on the pig of the hill the hobbit came by me, he had caught me earlier than I had hoped. Crested the hill and surprise surprise on the descent there was a very very bad crash. Down the hill I went hindered by the handicapped bike handling and excessive breaking of those around me.

Onto the relative flat and jackyback wasn't getting that far away for me. Started slowly reeling him in, went past after a bit and just rode as I felt. A trispoke and disc meant I REALLY felt the cross winds. Dodgy as.

Despite this being my first time on my tri bike since Roth 2012 I was riding okay. Was going about 45kph and coming up on a lad doing about 30kph. He turned and looked to see if the way was clear for him to overtake the person in front of him. He saw me, looked me in the eyes, and pulled out. Cue breaking and a smart "nice riding there" as I rode past him "fvck you, you fvcking cvnt". Either he knew me or he was a c0ck. Suspect the latter.

Turnaround came and now it was a head wind. A super strong one. Surprise surpise the packs formed and people were riding in groups. I rode legally off the back of a pack and made three attempts to get by, each time they would sit in and then consume me, I'd go out the back to be legal and repeat. Eventually I saw draft marshal "Cool he will do them" nope. He didn't. Five minutes later I saw the same draft marshal. My frantic gesturing left him in no doubt what I thought he should do. He did one, maybe two of the group of six. It did however break the group up. Surprise surprise this time they couldn't come with me. Past that group and the next two groups and into T2.

Prepped for a flying dismount, noticed the lack of carpet and the stones and realised I would shred my feet I dismounted slowly. In and on with runners, fecking Greepers broke, to be fair they are three years old. Took a good 30-45 seconds to get them closed and off I went. Legs felt good. I could see jackyback coming into T2. I know the run course was hilly and with him 2/3 my height and 1/2 my weight I knew he would take me. He passed me and I was just to heavy and fat to go with him. Suffered like a fat pig on the run. I was impressed to see LCD wearing his tutu and veil on the run. He was going well . Suffering continued, finished the race, was bundled into a van and off to Newry we went for the rest of the stag. Quazar, karting, pub, dinner, nightclub, residents bar, bed, back to Dublin, pub, Croke park, pub, bed.

A great weekend and I really really enjoyed the race.

Swim http://connect.garmin.com/activity/380093437
    T1 http://connect.garmin.com/activity/380093439
    Bike http://connect.garmin.com/activity/380093440
    T2 http://connect.garmin.com/activity/380093443
    Run http://connect.garmin.com/activity/380093445

Swim 00:26:49
    T1 00:02:20
    Bike 01:18:29
    T2 00:02:29
    Run 00:49:4
    Total 02:39:54

A good ROI for the years work :)

9858254884_0d660c5291_o.jpg

Met BTH (he is that ginger and skinny) and fazz. Got into my wetsuit (took jackyback and BTH to get me in. First time in a wetsuit since Roth 2012.

That almost deserves a ban.

And I only looked so skinny standing next to you and Fran :P

BTH wrote: »
    That almost deserves a ban.

And I only looked so skinny standing next to you and Fran :P

Why? Do you consider being called ginger an insult? If so that says more about you than me. Oh no wait, that's how I meant it :)

Yes I did feel rather fat beside you.

Not as bad as how Fran felt on the rest of the stag. I was the shortest other than him, all the rest 6'3" to 6'6"

Anyways thanks for the help getting into the wetsuit, and yes I did need two peoples help.

Not as bad as how Fran felt on the rest of the stag. I was the shortest other than him, all the rest 6'3" to 6'6"

Hahahaha, I bet he enjoyed that alright!
    Anyways thanks for the help getting into the wetsuit, and yes I did need two peoples help.

I can confirm that this is the case. Surprised you could breath!

Lessons learnt over the weekend

#1 You cannot spend 14 months out of open water and be able to sight
    #2 Jellyfish are evil
    #3 If you swim like a clueless person expect to be surrounded by clueless people for 20km on the bike
    #4 Do not attempt to shave your legs while hungover and in a rush with a straight razor
    #5 Practicing fly mounts
    #6 The west is windy
    #7 If you bike position is right and is designed for you it will feel good even after 14 months off it
    #8 Suffer little piggy
    #9 Much like white men can't jump, fat blokes cannot run. That "run" killed me.
    #10 12 hours in a van with two lads results in a stinky van
    #11 Its vampires that cannot be out in the sun, not gingers
    #12 Smile
    #13 Greepers laces can break, check them
    #14 Do not warm up on a turbo trainer in transition unless you go like a train on the bike, you just look like a twat
    #15 Its a requirement to be slightly nuts to be a Ban an Ti in the west
    #16 Mayo people are awfully optimistic about football
    #17 I like triathlon

I'm fecked. I think tomorrow I start back. Drinking, then race, then driving, then stag, then drinking, then game, then drinking. Through in two sick kids (unfortunately both have different things so they will swap in a few days) and I'm exhausted, and toxic. And never drinking again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I'm fecked. I think tomorrow I start back. Drinking, then race, then driving, then stag, then drinking, then game, then drinking. Through in two sick kids (unfortunately both have different things so they will swap in a few days) and I'm exhausted, and toxic.And never drinking again.

Fixed that for you. ;)

Date|Weight
    24th Jun 2013|13st 4
    1st Jul 2013|13st 4
    8th Jul 2013|13st 3
    15th Jul 2013|13st
    22nd Jul 2013|12st 12.4
    29th Jul 2013|12st 12.4
    5th Aug 2013|12st 12.4
    12th Aug 2013|12st 10.2
    19th Aug 2013|12st 12.9
    26th Aug 2013|12st 10.8
    2nd Sept 2013|13st 0.2
    9th Sept 2013|12st 12
    23rd Sept 2013|12st 12.4

Right, the time has come to tackle the elephant in the room. A very appropriate phrase. I'm fat. I know that and I've known it for some time. Over the 3 years or so off my weight has crept up. I've not really cared thought, but now I do. I was already determined to do something, something soon. However a hideous photo of me in Blacksod triathlon has made the soon now. (I appreciate being sent it, the difference between the last time I wore that tri top and the weekend are staggering).

So to loose the weight I am going to do the following:
    * Don't eat after 6pm
    * Cut out all bread
    * Only eat home cooked uber healthy meals
    * Do the lastest cutting edge diet
    * Train alot in my fat burning zone
    * Be super strict and focused

Oh no wait, none of those work. Not eating after 6 will impede sleep and make no real difference to calorie count, not eating bread is deprivation and that hinders the adoption of a healthy long term lifestyle, eating only home cooked uber healthy meals is nice in theory but not always possible, diets don't work its lifestyle I'm after. Training in the fat burning zone - a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, rather than being just fat and slow I'd be fat, slow and frustrated, plus a reasonable percentage of alot is greater than a high percentage of not that much. Super strict and focused - not a chance in a family environment without being a c0ck and its also deprivation.

So what I'll do is what I've done before:
    * Train consistently
    * If I don't understand how its made then don't eat it (okay actually if someone slightly thick wouldn't understand)
    * If it tastes divine, don't eat it often
    * No regular alcohol consumption
    * Avoid the biscuit tin in work except on Fridays
    * Drink lots of water
    * Eat lots of fruit
    * When putting a portion on a plate put on the amount you think you need, then take a third off. (this is the big one)

Lets see how this goes.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

In my experience any plan (however well thought out) that has to be listed in bullet points is doomed to failure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement