Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb eFibre vs Magnet eFibre

• 01-07-2013 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

Hello there.. have been investigating different eFibre options, and concidering Magnet and DIgiweb at the moment.

I dont like Magnets FUP, where you can use only 4gb in the peaktimes per day, and Digiweb is having a really high price,almost 80 eur p/month unlimited.

Anyone have any experience if Magnet is really throttling your traffic after 4gb on peaktimes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

Im on Magnet at the moment, and have had no issues with their throttling... mind you, i have 3 connections into the house, the magnet being used 1/5th the time (its a bit complicated) but i did some tests downloading large files from some sites on the magnet only connection, and have not been blocked or throttled...

My thought behind the throttling though is "meh". in the evening i surf sites, don't download too much during the "peak" times (my downloads are set to downloading is usually done after 1am) and my video streaming is using Netflix (which is "free" on Magnet). I would like to see Apple, Microsoft and Amazon servers included in the list of "free" transfers.... There are some comments on other posts here on the subject and one person mentions they uploaded 30+Gb to Amazon and there was no throttling...

So, in the end, do you want to pay 80 quid a month and sign a 12 month contract with digiweb for their "unlimited", which may have a fair usage policy, or 40 quid a month to magnet with no contract, no fair usage, but the traffic management system...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Why not consider Vodafone or Eircom as well?

Eircom offer unlimited packages for a lot less then Digiweb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

bk wrote: »
    Why not consider Vodafone or Eircom as well?

Eircom offer unlimited packages for a lot less then Digiweb.

Eircom also block sites and will kick you off the internet if they feel like it (3 strikes rule).

Vodafone give 300Gb in their pack and charge for overage...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

lotas wrote: »
    Vodafone give 300Gb in their pack and charge for overage...

It is a fair usage policy and they have no charges for going over it, so you would never be charged.

There hasn't been any actually reports here on boards of anyone having issues going over 300GB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

All Irish ISPs are now required to block PirateBay so, it's not like you're going to get much difference between them anymore.
    The Vodafone and Eircom packages are probably the best value for fibre at the moment.
    I don't know what Digiweb's up to with the pricing structure. It's drastically more expensive than either of the main players.

Eircom seems to have really upped its game, mostly to compete with UPC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

Hi all, thanks for the advices.. Decided to go with Vodafone.. had some troubles with Eircom connection in the past, so that was not an option for me.

:)

To be honest any connection issues you had in the past will be irrelevant anyway. It's radically different infrastructure. You're connected from your house to equipment in a local cabinet rather than the exchange. In effect the cabinet is your local exchange (for broadband).

Also regardless of which supplier you go with you're connected to the same eircom local access gear.

National backbone and international connectivity are what will differentiate the ISPs

Mostly connection issues are down to signal loss on the long lines back to the exchange or on some small exchanges it (non NGB) it was down to congestion on the back haul.

The fibre access products are plugged straight into the NGB backbone so it has huge capacity and because your line is typically way shorter, you should see really stable connection.

The Vodafone packages are getting good reviews though and they've somewhat better value on calls to the the UK and some bundle deals for mobile etc

Weird that the big two are offering the best deals. It's usually a smaller player doing that. I wonder if it comes down to access to cheaper back haul for the bigger companies.

Eircom has a vast fibre network and Vodafone has the resources to do big deals with BT, ESB etc etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

I didn't have any technical problems w my Eircom connection, they were rather billing and cs related :) i was little bit unclear on that, sry :)

finnteme wrote: »
    I didn't have any technical problems w my Eircom connection, they were rather billing and cs related :) i was little bit unclear on that, sry :)

Yup, that's one way a company can spoil a relationship for life!

I think all telecommunications companies need to pay a lot more attention to customer service issues. It's very difficult and expensive to attract customs to your brand and a complete waste of money if your customer care fails and results in a customer lost for life and a lot of negative sentiment generated when some simple resolution would have avoided the problem in the first place.

I have found almost every telecoms company is guilty of this to some degree.

Advertisement