Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is happening here..

• 01-07-2013 3:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Noticed this in the hotpress today, not sure how long its been there.

Photo1.jpg

Photo2.jpg

It looks like some kind of deposit where the immersion is going into the tank, its totally dry but definitely looks like something ran down the side of the tank at some point....

Any ideas ?

Comments

You have a leak.

It is on the immersion itself or the joint(as a guess the immersion gasket is leaking)

I would have a plumber drain down and investigate, I would renew the immersion while its drained down, also check the manufactures service requirements to see if any anodes require replacing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

gary71 wrote: »
    You have a leak.

It is on the immersion itself or the joint(as a guess the immersion gasket is leaking)

I would have a plumber drain down and investigate, I would renew the immersion while its drained down, also check the manufactures service requirements to see if any anodes require replacing.

Thanks - when you saw 'renew the immersion' do you mean replace with a new one ? The one that is in there is about 10 years old but the whole water system was replaced last year to put in solar panels.

For the cost of having to drain the cylinder and redo the immersion connection then I would fit a new immersion as there not normally that expensive and yours is ten years old.

Sometimes when the wrong jointing compound for the immersion gasket is used it can have a negative impact on the connection, leading to small leaks from around the gasket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

That's a DJG stainless steel cylinder. Is it supplied from a well or mains water?

shane0007 wrote: »
    That's a DJG stainless steel cylinder. Is it supplied from a well or mains water?

Its mains water....why ?

• Advertisement

Have seen a good few of them leak off wells.
    If the issue is the cylinder leaking, you should have a warranty. They were brought into Ireland from Holland by Heatmerchants.

Have seen a good few of them leak off wells.
    If the issue is the cylinder leaking, you should have a warranty. They were brought into Ireland from Holland by Heatmerchants.

Thanks for the info, it should still be under warranty as only went in last Sept so only around 9 months or so..

Hmmm....
    Either not a DJG or very old stock!
    They stopped selling them about 3 years ago.

Hmmm....
    Either not a DJG or very old stock!
    They stopped selling them about 3 years ago.

OK - so how would I know for sure if this was a DJG ?

BTW I see the reference below to it being aluminium and maybe it is but what you are seeing in the pictures is an outer grey plastic covering - not sure what is underneath but the exterior is definitely not aluminium.

The outer casing is grey plastic. It looks like a DJG but I could be wrong.
    Is there plastic lid type temperature gauge on the very top of the cylinder?

• Advertisement

The outer casing is grey plastic. It looks like a DJG but I could be wrong.
    Is there plastic lid type temperature gauge on the very top of the cylinder?

Yes, black plastic top and bottom with a temp gauge on the top....beginning to sound ominously like this DJG now and not good if they have been discontinued for 3 years:eek:

I dont know where the plumber got it, it was all part of a bigger job so he just supplied everything...

Look at page 23.
    This is a DJG. You will notice the distinctive temperature gauge on top of the cylinder.

http://www.heatmerchants.ie/pdf/trade_catalogue/107-141.pdf

Look at page 23.
    This is a DJG. You will notice the distinctive temperature gauge on top of the cylinder.

http://www.heatmerchants.ie/pdf/trade_catalogue/107-141.pdf

Yes - that would appear to be it alright!

Found this also :
    http://www.djg.com/en/standaard-producten/solar-200-tot-500-l/

which I believe is it so looks like they are still being made, although who knows if the website is up to date or not.

Why do you think they were discontinued 3 years ago ?

I did not say the cylinder was discontinued. I said Heatmerchants stopped selling them 3 years ago. They then swapped to selling Santon cylinders. They then got fed up with those & dropped them. Their latest flavour is Joule.
    From Google, I see Ecopipe promoting DJG, but that could be out of date website.

It might not be a faulty cylinder but only the immersion seal, but I have seen a few of them fail. You would know more if the immersion was removed to inspect.

I did not say the cylinder was discontinued. I said Heatmerchants stopped selling them 3 years ago. They then swapped to selling Santon cylinders. They then got fed up with those & dropped them. Their latest flavour is Joule.
    From Google, I see Ecopipe promoting DJG, but that could be out of date website.

It might not be a faulty cylinder but only the immersion seal, but I have seen a few of them fail. You would know more if the immersion was removed to inspect.

Thanks for the info. I'm waiting on the plumber to get back to me so hopefully he can come and have a look in the next couple of days.

Advertisement