Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spinning through the weeds

Options
  • 01-07-2013 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi looking for some help as per usual. Can any body advise on lures or methods that can be spun through heavy weed for perch and jack pike. I am currently using small mepps style spinners, soft fish imitation and diving baits but all are hindered by the fact that I can't get down any depth due to weed. I have heard of the texas weedles rig but that doesnt really help with the mepps style or the diving baits. I am fishing the canal btw any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

You can get weedless spiner type lures which have a type of springy metal guard over the hook but I've never seen them in this country.

I'd say your best best is the Texas rigged soft plastic, if you want to get down just add weight.

Bw

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Weedless hooks are available in rorys tackle, temple bar and in ABC tackle off Capel st, both Dublin OP. I bought a few weedless pike flies in rorys and have had no problem un/hooking them or getting stuck weeds or reeds!
    You could swap out the trebles under your lure for a single weedless!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Bromium

Thanks for the replies might give the single weedless a go and see what happens. Tried the texas rig with a soft plastic on an hour and a half session this morning and didnt snag which was good but still gathered some of the clingy weed which I guess is inevitable. Still no luck catching anything with lures or spinners haven't really given it a solid go up until now so hoping my luck will change or my technique improves. Any tips on this would also be welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

I have seen them weedless spoons, i actually have some i bought them off a lad form poland... the use a kind of wire over the hooks to discard weed but in my opinion the weedless texas rig used in lrf sea fishing is the way to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Bromium

Thanks again for the reply guys. Has anyone tried the soft plastic worms for perch on a jig head or otherwise. Found an area containing some perch but had little success on the lures one taken on a size zero mepps and one on a dive bait that was nearly bigger than the perch itself. If anyone has tried the the soft plastic worms I would be very interested in hearing how they got on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement