Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New pair of wheels

Options
  • 01-07-2013 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Looking for a new set of wheels and I narrowed to Fulcrum 5 and Campagnolo Vento. Prices on wiggle seem to be equivalent...
    I like the Campagnolo more, but are they as good as the Fulcrum?

Any suggestion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

Internet sources do not recommend Campy G3 front wheel...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Fulcrum are owned by Campagnolo. They share all of their research and their know how. The Fulcrum Racing 5's are roughly the equivalent of the Vento's. Fulcrum was initially set up so that Campag could sell stuff to Shimano users, without actually letting Shimano users the joy of having Campag wheels on their bike, though that has changed, as can be seen by:

260704.jpg

Shimano Ultegra, Campag Scirocco. Yes I did, and no, I don't feel bad about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭c50

nordicb wrote: »
    Internet sources do not recommend Campy G3 front wheel...

dont bother with internet sources. theres always people to hate on something like campag people hating on anything thats not campag :-)

go for whatever suits the bike or whatever you like the look of. the difference will be marginal. the rolling resistance nearly exactly the same. check out whats easier to get when it comes to wheel bearings, replacement spokes etc because thats what will satisfy you more long term than getting a wheel that initially is solid but cant hold out as solid for a its life span

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

thanks c50, interesting point... this is my first time changing wheels and I never thought I could only change bearings and spokes, if that's what you were trying to say.
    I'll do a bit of research in the web about that...
    Every time I ask a question on this forum, I'll end up be more confused than I was before asking...
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

Fulcrum are owned by Campagnolo. They share all of their research and their know how. The Fulcrum Racing 5's are roughly the equivalent of the Vento's. Fulcrum was initially set up so that Campag could sell stuff to Shimano users, without actually letting Shimano users the joy of having Campag wheels on their bike, though that has changed, as can be seen by:

260704.jpg

Shimano Ultegra, Campag Scirocco. Yes I did, and no, I don't feel bad about it.

by the way, I like your wheels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

I have Zonda's myself and absolutely love them. It's just the G3 asymmetric pattern has been specifically designed for rear wheel and it doesn't quite work with the front one as you get twice as many spokes on one side than the other. I would get usual front one and the G3 rear if possible as on clod71's photo.

Just had a look at the CRC website, on pictures they have both G3 and non-G3 front, but in the description it looks like only rear is G3, thumbs up from me so :) Might want to confirm what you'll get, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭c50

clod71 wrote: »
    thanks c50, interesting point... this is my first time changing wheels and I never thought I could only change bearings and spokes, if that's what you were trying to say.
    I'll do a bit of research in the web about that...
    Every time I ask a question on this forum, I'll end up be more confused than I was before asking...
    :)

yes saying spares can be bought. if you break a spoke or bearings get worn its handy to know theyre easy to find the replacements because it happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

clod71 wrote: »
    by the way, I like your wheels

Me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Me too.

Just got a set myself. Must put them on now. Op go for em. Did a good bit if research and picked them. With a shimano free hub :)

Advertisement