Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plan for garden

Options
  • 01-07-2013 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

hello,

Do landscapers offer a service where they come to ones house and suggest what plans might be good in your garden etc. come up with some sort of plan together? But not neccesarily do the work.

Anyone avail of such a service or recommend anyone? What would it cost

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

What you describe is normally done by a garden designer. Usually crosses over with a garden landscaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 weathervanes

You will need a landscaper or garden designer. You can also ask take a picture of your garden post it here and ask suggestions from the community. Are you by any chance interested in doing it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 weathervanes

I forgot you can also accessorize your garden with some unique pieces that will surely standout. A favorite staple in my backyard is rain chains. I just love them. You can also have cupolas or bird baths for the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Garden designs and planting plans are two seperate things, both of which you will have to pay for.

The planting plan usually comes after the design and can cost a considerable amount because of the time and effort put into choosing the plants and locating them in the design.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭sillybilly

Great thanks for everyones advice..

so I'm attaching two pictures...

I'm just hoping for some suggestions of what to plant please... the decking is 6m long.. and the grass lawn is another 15-20 m long

something along the perimeter wall... something infront of the deck perhaps?

any ideas please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭sillybilly

Looking at my garden again this year... still done nothing with it..

Any ideas as per pictures in above post

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

A nice sun facing aspect from the decking area, but this will have a limited lifespan and require regular ongoing maintenance. I would be concerned how open it is at the Front, you will need to protect it against rodents/foxes taking up residence. Also a height differential of approx. 450mm is dangerous in event of accidental fall.

The rest of the garden is long and narrow and unfortunate position of outbuilding in the middle. Still you could develop a garden of at least 3 parts, patio area, ornamental (between house and outbuilding) and final third behind outbuilding.

Plenty of fundamental design issues to be resolved but nothing major.

Much will depend on your budget and the lack of site access will impact your budget.

I would recommend you speak to landscapers with good design skills, as most designers will be lacking in detail how to resolve your structural requirements. I would completely disagree with the view that a planting plan takes longer and costs more. Utter nonsense, because planting will never resolve structural deficiencies, at best they will hide or conceal them. Don't be fooled. Determine the functional and practical aspects first. Most if not all of your planting requirements will be ornamental, and from what I can see, will be limited in scope (unless of course you want to fill a sunny site with plants)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

A nice sun facing aspect from the decking area, but this will have a limited lifespan and require regular ongoing maintenance. I would be concerned how open it is at the Front, you will need to protect it against rodents/foxes taking up residence. Also a height differential of approx. 450mm is dangerous in event of accidental fall.

The rest of the garden is long and narrow and unfortunate position of outbuilding in the middle. Still you could develop a garden of at least 3 parts, patio area, ornamental (between house and outbuilding) and final third behind outbuilding.

Plenty of fundamental design issues to be resolved but nothing major.

Much will depend on your budget and the lack of site access will impact your budget.

I would recommend you speak to landscapers with good design skills, as most designers will be lacking in detail how to resolve your structural requirements. I would completely disagree with the view that a planting plan takes longer and costs more. Utter nonsense, because planting will never resolve structural deficiencies, at best they will hide or conceal them. Don't be fooled. Determine the functional and practical aspects first. Most if not all of your planting requirements will be ornamental, and from what I can see, will be limited in scope (unless of course you want to fill a sunny site with plants)?

Spoken like a true landscaper, also you misread my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Spoken like a true landscaper, also you misread my post.

Oops did I? It seemed you were suggesting (well my misunderstanding) that the planting plan was more onerous and expensive than the design plan?

At least we agree on priorities.

Advertisement