Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stolen car involved in an accident-who is liable?

• 01-07-2013 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

My parents car was stolen a few years back (approx 3). My mother noticed within a short space of time & immediately she rang both the Gardaí and her insurance company. The car was subsequently involved in an accident, which my parents were informed of. However as my mother had contacted the insurance company to cancel the policy, she thought that a claim couldn't be brought against them, and they heard no more about it.

Today they received a letter saying that the claim had been settled in court, and that it will affect their no claims bonus at renewal. She rang the company, to inform them that she had cancelled her policy prior to the accident (the Gardaí can verify this), only to be told that that wouldn't have come into affect until the end of the day!

Does anyone know if this is true? For example, surely if your credit card was stolen & you cancelled it, the thief wouldn't be free to use it until midnight? Also, if your insurance policy was involved in a court case, shouldn't you be notified? I'd really like to hear if anyone else has any experience of this sort of thing.

Many Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Get on to the insurance Ombudsman about that. That is scandulous behaviour by the insurance co:mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Halfahalo

Thanks Kristopherus.

Yes, something definitely seems "off" about the whole thing.

Forgot to mention earlier that the person my mother spoke to at the insurance company today said that they should have never received this letter! Incredible that this could happen with your insurance policy & you wouldn't even be notified!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Halfahalo wrote: »
    Forgot to mention earlier that the person my mother spoke to at the insurance company today said that they should have never received this letter! Incredible that this could happen with your insurance policy & you wouldn't even be notified!!

Only guessing here but it sounds based on above that what happened may be as follows. The person the stolen car crashed into sued the MIBI, they nominated the original insurance company ( I believe they do that usually) who then fought it as the MIBI (that would explain no paper work to your mother before now). Then when matter settled an automatic letter went out to the insured incorrectly as the matter was in fact MIBI.

That sounds plausible alright. Thanks for that. But it's still a worry really when the letter stated that it may still impact on her no claims bonus. Incidentally, she was told that the case had only been reopened in early June. Can't understand why the case was reopened....all sounds a bit fishy to me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Halfahalo wrote: »
    That sounds plausible alright. Thanks for that. But it's still a worry really when the letter stated that it may still impact on her no claims bonus. Incidentally, she was told that the case had only been reopened in early June. Can't understand why the case was reopened....all sounds a bit fishy to me?

Again I would think the telephone operator misunderstood the mistake. When they said case reopened in June again only guessing, the claim was reopened as against your parents insurance by the insurance company. As a Personsl Injuries Case would not be reopened in the courts maybe reinstated. So it sounds like insurance company have made a mistake. Best to write to them or have your broker or solicitor write to them to confirm what happened and the fact that there is no impact on no claims.

Thanks again Infosys.

I have passed along your advice. I will post an update when I know more :-)

Advertisement