Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best radio station in Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,642 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Newstalk
    mike65 wrote: »
    I'll wager you are wrong (and as an interloper from South Tipp I wouldn't expect you to have heard of it).

I was in college up there until mid-May this year and go there on weekends constantly too but I never heard of it. I'd be a heavily frequent radio listener so again, I'm always open to change but never saw/heard an advertisement for this bullshít online station you're on about.

You'd think a poster with an amount of posts like yourself wouldn't be such an arrogant fúck in them. .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,642 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Newstalk
    mike65 wrote: »

Links that are all 2+ years old. Yeah, tyvm sir. The station is only on RADIO till end-of-March . . . Some load of bs.

Still stick by my 99% . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Rte Lyric Fm
    callaway92 wrote: »
    Links that are all 2+ years old. Yeah, tyvm sir. The station is only on RADIO till end-of-March . . . Some load of bs.

Still stick by my 99% . . .

Lads, lads, I think you should both sit down and talk about the problems you are having. You clearly care deeply about each other and this bickering just isn't helping anyone. I know there's an age gap between ye but I'm sure you can work it out.

PS... I am assuming you are a couple cos no one fights over something so unimportant otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

Today fm
    lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Yeah they need to take a chill pill and relax.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0b6cBaxj1U

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

Rte Lyric Fm
    callaway92 wrote: »
    I was in college up there until mid-May this year and go there on weekends constantly too but I never heard of it. I'd be a heavily frequent radio listener so again, I'm always open to change but never saw/heard an advertisement for this bullshít online station you're on about.

You'd think a poster with an amount of posts like yourself wouldn't be such an arrogant fúck in them. .

Post reported for vitriol and rudeness......

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

I see none of the poll options have been changed :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Rte Lyric Fm
    callaway92 & mike65; Take a deep breath folks. No need to be sniping at each other over something so small. If you feel the need, place each other on ignore. Lets hear no more of this petty argument and lets rejoice that we are blessed with so many great radio stations, temporary and permanent. :D

Today fm
    0rt wrote: »
    I see none of the poll options have been changed :P

Iv'e already tried to change them. Its a bit late now anyways the others would have too much of a head start and it wouldn't be a fair reflection.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

South East Radio
    deadybai wrote: »
    So no takers on Rte Lyric Fm :P
    Some of the music is good but they have DJs interrupting it. :) It is a damned shame that scumbag Burke ruined pirate radio in Ireland. He should have been keelhauled.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Beat 102-103
    Radio to me is nothing more than background noise in a car, but that being said, I can't stand Beat. Nothing grinds my gears more than the same 7 or 8 songs over and over again followed by a news segment with a 4/4 beat in the background polished off with a "and finally some celebrity just tweeted that she just took a massive dump in the jacks"

Beat to me is a glorified Ipod.. with the most played on repeat.. but its not their fault, thats what they are told to play!
    WLR are trying to get some of the younger generation back listening, they have Zoe Staunton 6-10pm all week, shes pretty good at what she does.. she started off on opentempo as far as i know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Id say this poll says more about the age group on boards than it does about who listens to what!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Rte Lyric Fm
    Mostly negative comments towards Beat yet they are doing well in the poll!

Obviously their fans aren't too vocal or are scared of a backlash on here today!

I generally listen to Ian Dempsey in the mornings and then 2fm on the way home if Matt Cooper is talking politics.

Used to listen to Off The Ball on Newstalk before the presenters changed but haven't been in the car around that time lately so don't know what the new lads are like plus it would be mostly GAA / Rugby talk at the moment anyway which wouldn't really interest me.

beat are secretly getting all their staff to vote :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

South East Radio
    wellboytoo wrote: »
    Id say this poll says more about the age group on boards than it does about who listens to what!
    That and the difference between people who listen to radio channels for music and those who listen mainly for talk and chat.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I will add my point in here student as well in WIT live down there for 8 mouths of the year and the only place i have had any clue of these smaller radio stations was on boards.ie so they must be **** if they cant even broadcast full time and there not even on the radio some of them LoL

But i would be a Beat man myself as you get some news around the south east its good for whats going on. Music is grand plays chart music but night time can be good plays a nice mix of music. Like if you not happy with what music is on the radio put on a CD ..... :rolleyes:

the only place i have had any clue of these smaller radio stations was on boards.ie so they must be **** if they cant even broadcast full time

you obviously know nothing about radio or licencing.
    Community radio stations regulated to a certain amount of broadcasting, as are temp radio stations..

Temps stations [zenith] are proving theres a need for something different on waterfords airwaves..

Each full time station has programming they have to adhere to as defined by their licence. Zenith is a station that isnt regulated by any licence that is available, so in order for them to become a full time station, they need a licence to be created before they can apply for it.

As for OpenTempoFM.. they are a pirate, and I guess as a pirate they keep under the radar by broadcasting after office hours or weekends.
    Transmitters that are above board and wont cause any interferance to other stations can go into the thousands so being raided can be a costly adventure.

BeatFM.. well.. they cater for the likes of you :)

Today fm
    surprised with 2fms showing here. Would have thought it was much more popular

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

I listen to the radio for a bit of chat mostly, so it's Newstalk for me. Tom Dunne in the mornings, Sean Moncrieff in the afternoon and On the Ball in the evenings. If I want to listen to music I tent to put on CD's or MP3s rather than random stuff from the radio.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Rte Lyric Fm
    Not that I'm a massive fan of Beat or anything, like I say, I just like the breakfast show really, but last I heard, they had a no repeat workday policy in place, which meant less repetitive stuff.

And as much as I love Today FM, they are fcukers for repeating songs. Dempsey, D'Arcy, KC and Tony Fenton all play Robin Thicke/ Daft Punk/ passenger/ Kodaline/ Avicii to the point where you'd hate hearing a song coming on even if you previously liked it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Rte Lyric Fm
    Rarely listen to Beat, music just isn't something I have huge interest in.

I flick between stations a lot. Find TodayFM in the morning and lunchtime decent (afternoon in weekends), WLRFM after, than 2fm for a bit during the evening and after that its a flick around between WLR, KCLR, and South East Radio. Also sometimes the music on Spirit Radio can be good or for something different than the chat on Newstalk in the afternoon or the 'Late Debate' at night. But I tend to go back to WLR for the night time show before Billy's repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Sully wrote: »
    Rarely listen to Beat, music just isn't something I have huge interest in.

And if it was, you wouldn't listen to Beat anyway!

Rte Lyric Fm
    nkay1985 wrote: »
    And if it was, you wouldn't listen to Beat anyway!

Lol why would you say that?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Rte Lyric Fm
    Sully wrote: »
    Lol why would you say that?!

I think he means, if you appreciated good music, you wouldn't find any on Beat, lol :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Jason Todd wrote: »
    I think he means, if you appreciated good music, you wouldn't find any on Beat, lol :p

Correct you are sir. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Today fm
    I can't stand Beat FM, or WLR. Just seems they are trying too hard to be funny on Beat, and it's the same songs over and over. WLR is just depressing, would only tune in if I was looking for funeral arrangements !
    I listen to 2FM, it's only turned off if someone is spouting s**te, or when Dave Fanning comes on. Which amounts to the same thing, really:D

Beats licence is up for grabs soon, some of the old pirates, one possibly being steve grant of ABCif my memory serves me corectly, are going for it i think..
    They should get it too, beat are under a media giant that have the monopoly.. its unfair.
    That and Beat have never, in all their years of broadcasting.. turned a profit, let alone broke even.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Rte Radio 1
    Beat to me is a glorified Ipod.. with the most played on repeat.. but its not their fault, thats what they are told to play!
    beat are secretly getting all their staff to vote :P
    BeatFM.. well.. they cater for the likes of you :)
    Beats licence is up for grabs soon, some of the old pirates, one possibly being steve grant of ABCif my memory serves me corectly, are going for it i think..
    They should get it too, beat are under a media giant that have the monopoly.. its unfair.
    That and Beat have never, in all their years of broadcasting.. turned a profit, let alone broke even.

Call me crazy 0rt but I'd say you must really really really really hate Beat 102-103.

• Advertisement

Call me crazy 0rt but I'd say you must really really really really hate Beat 102-103.

well.. no, i never said i hated it, i just dont listen to it because the music dosent cater to what i like..

the beat voting thing was just a joke at what someone else said :)

Beat FM catered for a person who is in college and clearly skipping class's.. so it was a dig at him.

And the licence up for grabs is just fact, im not 100% on the name, i could be wrong..

Dont get me wrong, theres nothing wrong with their sound, programming, presenting etc.. its just not for me.

Advertisement