Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best radio station in Waterford

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

0rt wrote: »
    well.. no, i never said i hated it, i just dont listen to it because the music dosent cater to what i like..

the beat voting thing was just a joke at what someone else said :)

Beat FM catered for a person who is in college and clearly skipping class's.. so it was a dig at him.

And the licence up for grabs is just fact, im not 100% on the name, i could be wrong..

Dont get me wrong, theres nothing wrong with their sound, programming, presenting etc.. its just not for me.

here it is http://www.bai.ie/?p=3161, scroll down Power FM Group are the competing interest (ex ABC people)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭daaave

Rte Lyric Fm
    well it aint Steve Grant going for the license as he's living in Perth for the past 2 years and has no plans on coming home anytime soon!
    Pete Windle is working with RTE in Dublin and broadcasts Monday evenings on RTE pulse afaik.

ps. anybody who was a fan of steve grant when he was on ABC power104 should check out his pages on soundcloud and house mixes.com (the 90's revival mix is a peach!)

https://soundcloud.com/grant-stevens

http://www.house-mixes.com/profile/stevegrant

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Rte Lyric Fm
    I'm 99.9% sure Beat wont lose their license.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

daaave wrote: »
    well it aint Steve Grant going for the license as he's living in Perth for the past 2 years and has no plans on coming home anytime soon!
    Pete Windle is working with RTE in Dublin and broadcasts Monday evenings on RTE pulse afaik.

ps. anybody who was a fan of steve grant when he was on ABC power104 should check out his pages on soundcloud and house mixes.com (the 90's revival mix is a peach!)

https://soundcloud.com/grant-stevens

http://www.house-mixes.com/profile/stevegrant

ahh thats right.. i dont know why i thought it was him.. he was back over for xmas :)

Sully wrote: »

True enough, they are being supported by other avenues in TCH, but it goes to show,

Zenith are doing something thats not catered for..
    OpenTempoFM are doing something thats not catered for..
    The Ex ABC lads are interested in the licence possibly to do something different?

There is defiantly room for another licenced station or 2 in Waterford / The South East..

Personally I would like to see Zenith offered a licence..!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Rte Lyric Fm
    I may be mistaken but Beat are just being told by the BCI what to 'cater' for? I assume, and again I could be wrong, a new party will fill the same 'gap' that Beat did?

I may be mistaken but Beat are just being told by the BCI what to 'cater' for? I assume, and again I could be wrong, a new party will fill the same 'gap' that Beat did?

Their licence and programming basically outlines what they are to play.. in a sence they get a list of songs they have to play x amount of times and whatever they want to fit in as well they can..

So they are not being told what to cater for, but rather.. what to play based on the licence that they hold.

No matter what genre of music is brought out on a new station/s there will always be room for something new, we can scan across the band and there is loads of room for stations down here unlike dublin.. Dublin is jam packed with legit stations and then pirates squeeze in between them and hope to last.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Rte Radio 1
    Beat cater to 15-30 year olds (mainly young adults) in the South East. Niall gave a great explanation of it last year http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79425780&postcount=63. I'd rather not see this thread go down the same road as the other one, it got a bit nasty.

There is in no way room for another licensed station in Waterford, never mind two. The South-East maybe, but not Waterford.

I've tried Zenith and OpenTempo but I haven't really taken to either of them. Currently I jump between Beat and WLR in the mornings, and then Beat/WLR/Today fm throughout the day.

Beat cater to 15-30 year olds (mainly young adults) in the South East. Niall gave a great explanation of it last year http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79425780&postcount=63. I'd rather not see this thread go down the same road as the other one, it got a bit nasty.

There is in no way room for another licensed station in Waterford, never mind two. The South-East maybe, but not Waterford.

I've tried Zenith and OpenTempo but I haven't really taken to either of them. Currently I jump between Beat and WLR in the mornings, and then Beat/WLR/Today fm throughout the day.

On what grounds would you say there is no room?
    When zenith is on i love listening, where else can you hear classic rock on the radio?
    Radio is about having a diverse range of music choice to listen to as well as stations that are mainly talkshow based..

It works better to have more than one station, each catering to a mear handfull of genres rather than one or 2 stations trying to cater to the popular ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Indeed they won the "inane chatter, phone in and 21st century plastic pop" licence for the SE region and they have duly fulfilled their duties in this regard.

Some variety wouldn't go amiss though. Serbian Turbo Folk should have a home :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Today fm
    0rt wrote: »
    True enough, they are being supported by other avenues in TCH, but it goes to show,

Zenith are doing something thats not catered for..
    OpenTempoFM are doing something thats not catered for..
    The Ex ABC lads are interested in the licence possibly to do something different?

There is defiantly room for another licenced station or 2 in Waterford / The South East..

Personally I would like to see Zenith offered a licence..!

Zenith = ex ABC lads and they are not interested in Beats licence. Andy Ellis was co - owner of ABC in both guises and Dave Hunt runs Zenith.

I'd say Beat are a shoe in for the licence

im not saying Zenith are going for that licence.. sure the content for it isnt anything near what Zenith play.

Zenith are proving that there is need for another station, another licence needs to be put out there to cater for the different genres..

I dont doubt that Beats licence will remain intact, and i support Niall in his summery completely.

My point is, theres always room for something new in the market :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

To be pedantic, the group challenging Beat for the licence could be described as ex-ABC in a way, in that one of the main players used to programme the 90s pirate ABC Power 104, (which was not the same thing as the 80s ABC Radio we remember fondly) and another used to work for the 80s original.

I agree though that Zenith does show there is appeal for a station playing niche music, but it would probably have to cover the South East rather than solely Waterford, and would have to run on a smaller-cost business model than the existing stations in order to survive.

The framework for such a licence doesn't exist right now, unfortunately.

Arguably, the business model that Beat runs under is barely viable - so it will be interesting to see what the Power FM consortium propose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

It would mostly be Newstalk for me. I listen to the early morning show, then wouldn't really listen to the radio again 'till early evening, so the tail end of Moncrieff going into The Right Hook and then turn off when Off The Ball starts.

I'd mostly listen to CDs in the car, rather than chart music, so the only music station I'd really listen to would be Today FM's Friday Night 80's show, which is brilliant.

There's way too much chart shite played on Irish radio during the day. I'd love a dedicated 'golden oldies' station like the UK's Capital Gold. That's a great station!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭deadybai

Today fm
    looks like today fm is the most popular so far. I wish I could doaa hole survey of everyone in waterford rather than just people on boards but its probably a fair perspective anywyas

• Registered Users Posts: 29 donaloflynn

TCR FM is back on air for the next few months! See my thread for much more information. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056991843

Separately, I agree that Zenith is a superb station that deserves a license. As previous posters have said it's run by the two Andys, Andy Linton (alias Dave Hunt) and Andy Green (alias Andy Ellis). The trouble is that the only licenses currently available are for the retention of independent local radio (or provision of new stations to operate those services), temporary sound broadcasting licenses (30 days) which Zenith Currently avail of every January - March, temporary Community Radio licenses (100 days) which TCR FM currently avail of and full-time 10 year Community Radio licenses (for which TCR FM is now eligible to apply).

The BAI are not seeking to support stations like Zenith at the moment. Open Tempo FM is very good too from what I've heard, it's just a pity they don't take the above board legal route and go for 30 day licenses. I think that the music they play is catered for in part by TCR FM and am not sure if there's a market for them long term, it remains to be seen.

Also worth an honourable mention is TimeWarp Radio, an online station run by former RTÉ Producer, WLR FM Newsreader and current Zenith Classic Rock and Christmas FM presenter Liam Walsh. https://www.facebook.com/TimeWarpInternetRadioIreland

Advertisement