Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free fees not covering entire fees

Options
  • 01-07-2013 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

I have accepted a place as a mature student on a course and as I do not already hold a degree I can avail of the free fees initiative. However there is a difference of nearly €6000 between fees as a mature student and normal school leaver fees and it seems I will have to pay the difference

Has anyone else been in this position and if so did you have to pay the difference or who did you contact to discuss the matter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

I have never heard of the fees being different for either route, any chance you were looking at fees for an international student?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

Is it for medicine?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dtfo

I was surprised as well but it seems it is the case school leaver fees - http://www.rcsi.ie/index.jsp?p=112&n=202&a=744#fees , mature student fees - http://www.rcsi.ie/index.jsp?p=112&n=202&a=745#Fees

WildRosie wrote: »
    Is it for medicine?

Yes Medicine in RCSI

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

That's a little confusing... You are entitled to free fees as you have never attended third level before, yet you're charged more for being over 23? Bizarre!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

But you also get a back to education grant.

Congrats on your place OP. I'm very open to correction on this but I think it's because most mature med students have a degree already and its to bring the fees in line with the graduate entry program. Have RCSI told you what your fees will be or are you going by the published fees?

Congrats on your place OP. I'm very open to correction on this but I think it's because most mature med students have a degree already and its to bring the fees in line with the graduate entry program. Have RCSI told you what your fees will be or are you going by the published fees?

Thank you. That makes sense alright. They have said I will have to pay the difference but Im looking for peoples experiences. It seems unfair to me

But you also get a back to education grant.

What grant is this? From Susi?

dtfo wrote: »
    Thank you. That makes sense alright. They have said I will have to pay the difference but Im looking for peoples experiences. It seems unfair to me

I don't have any experience of this but I do think it's unfair. You apply using the same code as school leavers, the only difference is you compete based on mature years. I'm usually quite hesitant to cry 'discrimination' but I think it applies here. Have you checked with the Dept of Education? Hope this isn't the difference between you being able to accept your place and not.

• Advertisement

I don't have any experience of this but I do think it's unfair. You apply using the same code as school leavers, the only difference is you compete based on mature years. I'm usually quite hesitant to cry 'discrimination' but I think it applies here. Have you checked with the Dept of Education? Hope this isn't the difference between you being able to accept your place and not.

Im actually applying through leaving cert points as well and Im very confident I will get competitive points. Failing that Ill try to get a loan.

I was wondering who I could talk to that deals with the free fees from the departments side , Ill try and call them tomorrow

Thanks for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

dtfo wrote: »
    Im actually applying through leaving cert points as well and Im very confident I will get competitive points. Failing that Ill try to get a loan.

I was wondering who I could talk to that deals with the free fees from the departments side , Ill try and call them tomorrow

Thanks for your help :)

DES Student Support Unit: 057 9325317 / 057 9324336
    They should be able to help clarify your fees situation. also it might be worth looking at the tuition fee grant from SUSI. they can help with undergrad fees if you meet the criteria.

Advertisement