Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get an abandoned car towed

Options
  • 01-07-2013 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

This has come up a couple of times, but I couldn't find anything specifically relevant.

The parking spaces at our place are communal, nothing has been assigned. Generally it's not an issue except some nights it gets very busy and recently a few renters have moved into two-bed houses with 3 vehicles between them, so we're a little more squeezed than we used to be.

The main issue is that there are 3 vehicles which appear to be abandoned and are taking up 4 spaces which could otherwise be used. One of them, we know who the owner is, he's been contacted but won't move it. It's a big chip van, no insurance or tax discs in the window and it hasn't been moved in six months despite him spending half of last year doing it up.

The second is a small car, tax is year out, no insurance disc, no NCT.
    The third (and most annoting because it's right in front of my place) is another small car, tax & insurance out since 11/12, hasn't moved since at least 10/12.

The management company have been contacted a number of times. They've sent around notices about the two cars and nobody has responded. We've asked the neighbours, and nobody knows who owns them.

Although the estate is managed, the roads are in the control of the local council, and so the parking spaces are public places for the purposes of the Road Traffic Act. So at the very least I could report the vehicles to the Gardai and have them all done for non-display of tax or insurance. But that doesn't solve my problem.
    Is there anyone who'll tow them? I know the council will only tow if the plates are missing (which I won't do cos that's a scumbag move), but what about massively out of date tax? Cars get seized at roadside checkpoints for no tax, so who does this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

If the tax is out over 6 months then the Gardai will tow away the offending vehicle. ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Paulw wrote: »
    If the tax is out over 6 months then the Gardai will tow away the offending vehicle. ;)

If its on public property.
    If its private property- different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

If it's on private property the gardai nor the council wont get involved

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Environment/LitterControl/VehicleRemoval/

Well, according to the OP, it's a public roadway, so the Gardai can/will get involved.
    seamus wrote: »

Although the estate is managed, the roads are in the control of the local council, and so the parking spaces are public places for the purposes of the Road Traffic Act.

If so then I'd contact the local council rather than the gardai

• Advertisement

cookie1977 wrote: »
    If so then I'd contact the local council rather than the gardai

The council don't have the power to seize a vehicle for non-payment of tax, only the Gardai (or Revenue).

The OP must contact the Gardai and report vehicles on public roadway with no tax.

No but they can dispose of cars that have been abandoned and are shown not to be stolen:
    http://www.sdcc.ie/sites/default/files/guidelines/abandoned-cars.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

cookie1977 wrote: »
    No but they can dispose of cars that have been abandoned and are shown not to be stolen:
    http://www.sdcc.ie/sites/default/files/guidelines/abandoned-cars.pdf
    The parking space itself is private property (owned and managed by the management co.), so the council probably won't remove abandoned vehicles from it.

It is however a public place, so the Gardai are required to deal with it. I'll go with the Gardai first and see what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Its worth bearing in mind that tax is required for cars that are being used on a public road as opposed to a public place (it is my understanding that the definition of the two differs).

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1952/en/act/pub/0024/print.html

So depending on where the cars are parked, the fact that they are out of tax might have no bearing at all.

Insurance however is a different matter; unless they are parked on private property they are required to be insured, so the Gardai might take much more of an interest in that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would have thought it is up to the management company to take up the case rather than the residents. If the management company own the land and have made reasonable attempts to find out the owners I would have thought they could claim illegal dumping/abandonment or some other such notion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well tbh, if there was one parked right in front of mine for that long, Id stick it on some dollies and move it to the public road, where i would then contact the council about it.

couple of meters of rolling would do it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Had the same thing a few weeks ago. Car abandoned across a couple of parking spots, no tax/nct & full of rubbish.
    In my case I told the management company and it was gone in a couple of days. (But I could just have a good management company)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

move it onto the road, call the guards.

Those suggesting to move the car themselves would want to be very careful that they know the full potential consequeces of such an action.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Moving it's not an option in any case, it's in a corner, so moving it out of the space will put it even more in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Sylvia88

I feel your pain. It is a lose lose situation when it comes to private property.
    Unfortunately if the spaces are not designated and the people live in the apartment block/ estate then you then they are not doing anything wrong.
    Some estates in Ireland have not been handed over to the Co Co because of varies reasons, ghost blocks, unfinished road works etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

We have stickers for such vehicles, once stickered they must contact the agent within 14 days - if they don't, the vehicle is "removed". I don't know precisely what our agent does but I know the vehicles disappear.

Sometimes cars are genuinely off the road and in those cases if contacted we speak with the owners and encourage them to move them around or to the quieter car park. It has always worked so far.

athtrasna wrote: »
    We have stickers for such vehicles, once stickered they must contact the agent within 14 days - if they don't, the vehicle is "removed". I don't know precisely what our agent does but I know the vehicles disappear.

Sometimes cars are genuinely off the road and in those cases if contacted we speak with the owners and encourage them to move them around or to the quieter car park. It has always worked so far.

Im fairly certain that its not legal for a private company to tow in Ireland; something to do with car theft laws (which it effectively is)...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

If someone were to remove the number plates on the abandoned cars in your estate, the council will have no option but to take those cars away.

Can't find the original thread but here is a similar one:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056896396

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

djimi wrote: »
    Im fairly certain that its not legal for a private company to tow in Ireland; something to do with car theft laws (which it effectively is)...

I've never seen or heard a tow truck, I have no idea what happens.

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »
    I've never seen or heard a tow truck, I have no idea what happens.

Do you believe that they disappear by magic? Your management company needs to tread carefully is all I will say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

seamus wrote: »
    The parking space itself is private property (owned and managed by the management co.), so the council probably won't remove abandoned vehicles from it.

It is however a public place, so the Gardai are required to deal with it. I'll go with the Gardai first and see what they do.

The Management Company could make a complaint to the Gardai, that offences have been committed under the Public Order Act in relation to the abandoned vehicles.

Then Gardai could be asked if they will agree to tow the vehicle away.

Advertisement