Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expenses

• 01-07-2013 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hey everyone, I have heard of other people having to pay for things such as uniform, training etc. in their individual orgs and units. I was wondering what experience everyone had of this?

Im IRC and have never had to pay for anything thus far.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Hey everyone, I have heard of other people having to pay for things such as uniform, training etc. in their individual orgs and units. I was wondering what experience everyone had of this?

OMAC
    Uniforms: Yes
    PPE: Yes (Something I'm not happy with...)
    Training: No
    Petrol: Yes (Submitted expenses forms and never received anything back when I was meant to)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

OMAC
    Uniform: No
    PPE: No (Had boots already though)
    Training: No
    Other: Topped up my kitbag a bit at my own expense with non standard issue stuff which i totally expected to pay for anyway, didnt look for it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Looks like Different OMAC units running with their own rules by the looks of that. Wouldn't be too impressed with that to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

It varies from unit to unit. Some units dont charge for uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bigbear899

OMAC
    Uniform: No
    PPE: No although I got my own boots as I am fussy on what boots I wear.
    Other: As already stated I have also topped off my kit with extras above a basic level ie. my own spo2, stet and bp as these are personal items.

Some units do things differently to others but this is simply down to unit finances as some would not have the same finances as others and as such they may need a deposit on some items of uniform.

• Advertisement

iceage wrote: »
    Looks like Different OMAC units running with their own rules by the looks of that. Wouldn't be too impressed with that to be honest.

I had to fund my own Hi-Vis gear and safety boots. Ever hear of the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Yes, in fact BX 19 I'm very aware of it and my point exactly. Bit cheeky if you ask me.

iceage wrote: »
    Yes, in fact BX 19 I'm very aware of it and my point exactly. Bit cheeky if you ask me.

Yea, it's very cheeky.

BX 19 wrote: »
    I had to fund my own Hi-Vis gear and safety boots. Ever hear of the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005?

What Hi-vis gear did you have to fund yourself? and as for boots everyone has there own preferences for boots. I am the only person in my unit wearing the boots i wear. I got them myself as I also needed them for a course I was on, they cost €70. Do you think that OMAC units have that ind of money to pay out for boots for every one? The boots I have seen issued in some places are ones which cost maybe 15-20 euro and are VERY uncomfortable.
    I am sure the boots you bought are a very good boot and comfortable to wear on long duties.

Bigbear899 wrote: »
    What Hi-vis gear did you have to fund yourself? and as for boots everyone has there own preferences for boots. I am the only person in my unit wearing the boots i wear. I got them myself as I also needed them for a course I was on, they cost €70. Do you think that OMAC units have that ind of money to pay out for boots for every one? The boots I have seen issued in some places are ones which cost maybe 15-20 euro and are VERY uncomfortable.
    I am sure the boots you bought are a very good boot and comfortable to wear on long duties.

The standard Hi-Vis jacket raincoat thing. Doesn't matter if they don't have the money, they're obliged by law to provide a safe place of work (which includes PPE). Same with the safety boots. Not even a contribution towards the cost of them were offered. This unit anyhow, has no shortage of money.

• Advertisement

The standard Hi-Vis jacket raincoat thing. Doesn't matter if they don't have the money, they're obliged by law to provide a safe place of work (which includes PPE). Same with the safety boots. Not even a contribution towards the cost of them were offered. This unit anyhow, has no shortage of money.

The Bomber jacket? or the light hi vis vest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Is it possible that there is some provided in the ambulance, most units seem to have spares there that cover everyone? Hivis that is, not boots!

Just depends on the unit and the situation, some units have no money and loads of members, so cant kit out everyone, other units have fewer members making them easier to kit out.

Advertisement