Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what are our councillors worried about today.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Kess73 wrote: »
    Guess you want to see all the Georgian architecture in Limerick knocked and done away with as well. After all that harks back to the "shameful" part of Irish history.

John's Cathedral, Mary's Cathedral, Munchin's Church and the like should be knocked then going by your logic. All english built.

All the Victorian and Edwardian architecture on the Shelbourne road and O'Connell avenue should be flattened as well yes? Nasty English stuff that

And what about the bridges? Sarsfield bridge is named after Patrick Sarsfield. He was a Jacobite who swore allegiance to England. Sarsfield barracks is named after him as well.

Whilst we are at it, maybe Thomond park should be done away with and rugby outlawed. Best not to be glorifying an english sport.:P

The idea of wiping out history is a shameful one in my eyes. It is that very history that made and shaped Limerick for you. It is that same history that gives Limerick any character she has. It is that same history that should make people thankful for the age they live in, and it is by acknowledging history that past mistakes should not be repeated.
    You do realise that Ireland was given to England by the Vatican right? Funny how that bit usually gets left out of any 800 years of oppression type speeches.

If having his name on a quay is such a problem, funny how it seems to have gone unnoticed by councillors for decades, and funny how all the insulted folk have not kicked up a massive stink over it either.

The reason why is most likely that most people who passed that quay did not have a clue about the history of the city they live in or are from. It only becomes a big deal when someone brings up the whole 800 years rubbish.

A lot of what George did to Ireland whilst he was alive was horrific, but those acts were of their time, and those acts helped shaped the path the city took.

All of the highlighted parts are implying that I am a nationalist harking on about 800 years of oppression. Saying and implying that I would like to wipe out anything English built buildings, hell even get rid of Rugby because it's an english sport. So there you go, Earlier posts of yours kess making me out to be some nutcase because I agree with councillor gilligans suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

kilburn wrote: »
    Out of curiousity what do you mean by Ireland was giving to England by the Vatican or have i missed something earlier

Sorry, missed this post when you asked the question.

The first major invasion of Ireland came at the request of the then King of Leinster (an Irish man called Diarmaid mac Murchadha) as he was squabbling with the high king of Ireland and asked for English help.

King Henry II needed Vatican approval to do such a thing, and Pope Adrian changed some papal law to ensure the invasion happened.

Then some years later the next pope, Alexander, went even further by issuing a papal decree to Henry II to make the Irish church pay a tax to the vatican, and he gave lordship of Ireland to Henry as payment for this.

The money people put in the basket during a regular mass nowadays is the continuation of that levy as it was never got rid of by the catholic church in Ireland even after Ireland became an independent country.

I never knew about it myself until I was listening to the radio a few weeks back and there was an author/historian being interviewed who was bringing out a book regarding the English conquest of Ireland and the facts that often get left out by mainstream hiostory education in schools across Ireland and Britain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

padma wrote: »
    All of the highlighted parts are implying that I am a nationalist harking on about 800 years of oppression. Saying and implying that I would like to wipe out anything English built buildings, hell even get rid of Rugby because it's an english sport. So there you go, Earlier posts of yours kess making me out to be some nutcase because I agree with councillor gilligans suggestion.

Good man. Thanks for backing up that you lied when you said I called you a nationalist, and thanks for lying about me flaming. I also did not say you were a nutcase, nor did I hint at it.

Also you neglected to mention that other posters replied to you mentioning that all the buildings built by the Britiush empire should be knocked, and made passing remark to a siege mentality. So if I was implying (seeing as you have changes it from me calling you something to me now implying it instead) what you said, then all those posters must have being doing likewise.

The conversation between you and I is over. I am going to ask for your accusations to be looked into because there was no mention of any nationalist insults by you until I responded to your little british loyalty post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Good man. Thanks for backing up that you lied when you said I called you a nationalist, and thanks for lying about me flaming. I also did not say you were a nutcase, nor did I hint at it.

Also you neglected to mention that other posters replied to you mentioning that all the buildings built by the Britiush empire should be knocked, and made passing remark to a siege mentality. So if I was implying (seeing as you have changes it from me calling you something to me now implying it instead) what you said, then all those posters must have being doing likewise.

The conversation between you and I is over. I am going to ask for your accusations to be looked into because there was no mention of any nationalist insults by you until I responded to your little british loyalty post.

You need to read my post, I never said you DIRECTLY called me a nationalist, point that out Kess to me please. I said that you flamed me as being SOME kind of a nationalist. This was due to all the highlighted points of earlier posts. This in turn implies that anyone who agrees with Councillor Gilligan is some form of a nutcase who wants to knock everything english built in the city. Of course it implies Im a nutcase as you make it out in such a way.

Why don't you just say, Sorry Padma, I got in to the heat of the moment and decided to have a rant at you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭dcmm

europa11 wrote: »
    I see Councillors Maurice Quinlivan and Cormac Hurley (...who in their right mind voted for...oh! why bother..!) are now trying to outdo Gilligan for crass stupidity, or might that be more accurately put as vote-grabbing exercise with the permanently irate local residents who decided to build and live in houses next to a stadium.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/local-business/concern-over-pub-plans-in-limerick-for-gaa-final-1-5241781

The first time in donkeys' years that Limerick gets to stage a Munster Final and this is what we get from our esteemed Councillors.

Silly season indeed

My son lives in Clareview, believe me if you lived there you would see and hear the knock-on effects of excessive drinking and mindless "sober parking", before the match. Good luck to the teams and their supporters,hope they have a great day,but please go to town or home to your own pubs to celebrate.UP LIMERICK:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

seachto7 wrote: »
    If Gilligan is so worried about "de Brits", he should be promoting the active use of the Irish language around Limerick. That would serve more of a purpose than renaming some landmark....
    that's actually a great idea

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Godwin's Law has been met in this thread I see, also, I don't see the point in having a thread about the history of Ireland in the Limerick forum so I'm locking this thread.

There'll need to be a full review of this thread so I have hidden some posts, don't worry, nothing has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,789 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I've reviewed the thread as requested by Clareman & can find no evidence that Kess has flamed padma as "some nationalist" as alleged.

@padma - In my opinion you have read too much into some posts & taken things personally when there was no need to.
    I suggest that you desist from making such allegations in future & report posts that you have issue with.

If you all wish to have a civil debate on the naming of Limerick's highways, byways & other places of note - start a new thread & don't let it get bogged down in to a historical debate.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement