Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes at the Xbox division

• 01-07-2013 6:31pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It seems that Don Mattrick is moving on from Microsoft, taking on an undisclosed role at Zynga.

Although the article states that this has nothing to do with the pending reorganisation of Microsoft, it wouldn't surprise me if this is a reaction to the complete shambles that the reveal of the Xbox One has been. While I think the vision/long term goal of the Xbox One is superior to the PS4, the communication from Microsoft and it's senior execs about all the changes have been hugely damaging to its reputation amongst gamers.

A lot of this can be laid at the feet of Don Mattrick, who was one of the few executives who came out after wards and kept digging, infamously telling customers worried about their lack of broadband options, should "get an Xbox 360". How anyone could think that making such a statement would result in anything but bad press is beyond me.

Microsoft has, in recent times, got form with senior execs leaving directly after a bad patch. Steven Sinofsky being a perfect example, his creation of Windows 8 was a cause of division both within the company and with consumers, he was gone less than two weeks after it's release.

Well, I never really want to wish anyone bad in their life, so I'll turn to wishing him well at Zynga.

Article here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

http://ow.ly/myms0

Hopefully he takes mandatory Kinect with him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

Just spotted the other thread.

Can a mod delete this please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

He was a walking PR disaster for the One. Massively unimpressive exec who didn't seem to understand his product or customers. Lets hope MS actually can find a more product focused individual to replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Like this guy?

ken_kutaragi-x.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Otacon wrote: »
    Like this guy?

ken_kutaragi-x.jpg

:pac:

I'd say Sony thought he was doing an amazing job.

Seriously, MS need someone like J Allard to take over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

can they please get rid of Larry Hyrb while they're at it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, it doesn't seem like there's an easy person to take over for him, but whoever does faces an enormous task of trying to turn around the corporate culture of Microsoft, or at least within that division. There is an arrogance there that has resulted in some serious missteps, which came at a time when the industry is changing. Free to Play and Indie games have sprung up during the time of the Xbox 360, and Microsoft has not recognised the significance of these events, continuing to treat them as second class citizens

Nor has it responded correctly to PS plus. The botch job that is currently going on with the "Games for Gold" is, I feel another hint of Microsofts arrogance. It seems like Microsoft has decided that they are not in competition with Sony, and are instead making a play for the living room, seemingly thinking that even if the PS4 outsells the Xbox One, they'll make it up in revenue from music and video sales, and will eventually recover.

Well, good luck to whoever does take over, they're going to need it.

Advertisement