Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study in Ireland for a year - Dublin or elsewhere?

Options
  • 01-07-2013 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,

A good friend of mine is planning to study English in Ireland for a year, and we're trying to decide what would be the best place to go to. Dublin is the obvious first choice due to bigger diversity of schools available and of course being a bigger city, there's just 'more to do', but is it really the right choice? I am a Belfaster myself so I'm not too familiar with Ireland, so I would appreciate any and all advice for this.

My friend would ideally like to work part-time after classes, and I've heard horror stories about job hunting in Dublin. Is it really all doom and gloom there? She has some previous experience with typical student part-time jobs in retail and cafes, and her English is pretty decent (not native level, but close to fluent). Is finding a studio or 1br apartment for around 500 euro within a 30-40 minute commute from city centre realistic at all? We browsed through daft.ie and there seems to be quite a number of smaller apts in that price range, but I keep hearing that 400 euro a month will barely get you a room... She'd prefer to stay away from house-sharing really. Anything else worth considering, would you recommend Dublin compared to Galway or Cork in general?

Thanks in advance, and hope to get some answers! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Dublin has some advantages, it's easier to get a job, there's more to see and experience and it's easier to get around the rest of the country if your starting destination is dublin (and you're using public transport)

Dublin is also more expensive to rent and live in. It also doesn't have the same feel of community when compared with somewhere like Galway. Put 500 a month should probably be enough to get you somewhere relatively close to the city. I'd look around Portobello or Drumcondra, depending on if you're studying South Side or North Side respectively.

I've never studied outside dublin but from what my friends have told me (the aforementioned) Galway is a wonderful place to spend your time studying and socializing. i IMAGINE housing would be a lot cheaper (you'd need to check that) and perhaps finding a job would be a little harder but you'd have a great opportunity to explore the West of Ireland (weather dependant of course) which is (in my opinion) an unforgettable experience.

Advertisement