Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

second opinion

• 01-07-2013 8:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭

my partner got me a digicam uniform from a well known shop the seem across the groin area ripped 5 mins into play she took it back and was promptly told that since i wore them when they ripped they cant take them back

my thought is that they were not fit for the purpose that they were intended for

im planning to go back but would like someones else's view or experiences

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭CpcRc

Sew it up with double stitching. That's what I do with my gear when it breaks.
    It will hold better than a new item and sewing is really cheap. The stuff you get made for consumers will not hold up as well because of the stitching they do. Also wear a belt with the pants. Pants can slip down and cause the groin area to rip.

Two reasons a pants will rip are because they aren't being worn correctly at the time, eg. sitting too low so the material is under more strain if crouching than it should be under. And the line used for stitching or the stitching pattern aren't up to scratch and that can happen with any clothing item so it's not unique and it doesn't matter where you get something or how much you pay stitching can always fail. Just depends wheteher it's the product line or a fluke. A cheap sewing kit will come with enough colours to work with any camo pattern if not blend in completely.

I've broken multiple pants and still have all of them now as I fixed them myself. Only a few mins. From now on I will reinforce all my future gear unless it's real good military issue. Also the stitching doesn't have to be pretty, just strong and it'll be fine. Some people can be big about appearance in airsoft but I don't think they'll want to scrutinise your stitching there, haha :P

This is all assuming the stitching failed and the fabric separated as opposed to the fabric tearing and the stitching being intact.

Edit: Double the line as well as it'll be stronger than just one. A bit more annoying that you have to thread the needle twice but worth the better finish.
    Edit 2: Use a good quality belt with the trousers as well. I use one that I use with everything from everyday to officewear as it fits the best and has good retention but a good belt is a must for everything really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

I agree with CpcRc, and would guess that 90% of crotch rips are due to not wearing the pants correctly. There is a longer body in BDU's and they should be worn higher on the waist than normal pants thus stopping the constant strain on the crotch stitching every time you take a step. Several mates complained of the quality of our team BDU's (ripped crotch) but I never had a problem with the same pants and the only difference is how the pants were worn(high on the waist with a tight belt for me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

I did think it was a load of BS tbh, but was polite etc as I know this person was just doing their job, but when I was told "he was wearing the uniform when it ripped, then I cant do anything as I couldnt give it back to the factory" I just thought, but tbh surely airsoft uniforms are made for wear and tear so if they rip on the first time wearing in an average airsoft game then its the companys fault and the customer should be refunded in some way.

Damn, I always think of the best thing to say after the event! :rolleyes::p:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭Wolfruin

thank you, your insights are valued im thinking of returning it to the shops i had it on perfectly high enough in my view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Id be returning that back to the shop.

If it was bought in an airsoft shop then clearly they expect the user to wear it while playing airsoft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

I would start here with an understanding of your rights. Going into the shop knowing where you stand puts you in a much stronger position.

I would argue that if they split almost immediately then they are not fit for purpose unless it can be shown that you were doing something bloody silly with them.

Advertisement