Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord problem

Options
  • 01-07-2013 8:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32

problem with my landlord. He very invasive of privacy. I live in small studio bedsit. He will knock on door whenever he likes collect weeks rent and when tell him to call back another time he will keep knocking until I answer the door or enter himself. I told him to pick a 1 day when to call and giv 24 hours notice but said couldn't do this as of hours he works himself. He in my room another time empty the electric of money and he never told me of this.

I went angry with him today and told me to pack bags and I said no, he brought brother or friend with him and made me pack all my stuff and leave. I am now in friends house and when leaving asked him for deposit and told me to **** off.

I am angry and upset, I am female and dutch and noticed all irish people and males in house. I think they pay rent bank or muntly as he not hit there door.

I saw accomadation not register with ptrb on site as address not listed. Shud contact them? So So Angry :(:mad: Bedsits illegal? I work and pay rent on time. (english not so good)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

problem with my landlord. He very invasive of privacy. I live in small studio bedsit. He will knock on door whenever he likes collect weeks rent and when tell him to call back another time he will keep knocking until I answer the door or enter himself. I told him to pick a 1 day when to call and giv 24 hours notice but said couldn't do this as of hours he works himself. He in my room another time empty the electric of money and he never told me of this.

I went angry with him today and told me to pack bags and I said no, he brought brother or friend with him and made me pack all my stuff and leave. I am now in friends house and when leaving asked him for deposit and told me to **** off.

I am angry and upset, I am female and dutch and noticed all irish people and males in house. I think they pay rent bank or muntly as he not hit there door.

I saw accomadation not register with ptrb on site as address not listed. Shud contact them? So So Angry :(:mad: Bedsits illegal? I work and pay rent on time. (english not so good)
    You should contact the PRTB as you have been illegally evicted and the Landlord has no right to just enter your home without first giving notice(except in a genuine emergency). He also has no right to keep your deposit. You may be awarded compensation by the PRTB but it may take a long time(several months) for your case to be dealt with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

He is not allowed enter your property without your permission.

He is not allowed evict you like that.

He is not allowed retain your deposit for no reason.

Get onto the PRTB immediately, it costs 25 euro to lodge a dispute and he's facing huge penalties for illegal eviction, retention of deposit, entering your property, and not registering his property. You could easily get compensation for any money you lose, as well as getting your deposit back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭daddyorchips

I agree with foggylad not only have you been evicted illegaly you where evicted illegally by a coward

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 canyoudigit

foggy_lad wrote: »
    You should contact the PRTB as you have been illegally evicted and the Landlord has no right to just enter your home without first giving notice(except in a genuine emergency). He also has no right to keep your deposit. You may be awarded compensation by the PRTB but it may take a long time(several months) for your case to be dealt with.

address not registered on ptrb website but have rentbook, renting 3 months. No damage apartments. bedsit illegal?

address not registered on ptrb website but have rentbook, renting 3 months. No damage apartments. bedsit illegal?

the address does not need to be registered for you to make a complaint

• Advertisement

If it is a bedsit as in has no separate bedroom and sitting/dining room and/or shares a bathroom then it is illegal and the fact that it is not registered whether it is a legal flat/apartment means the landlord is breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'd also keep coming back on here as this progresses. The posters above appear to know what they are talking about. I'm sure they'd be happy to continue to offer advice and support.

You've been treated very badly.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    If it is a bedsit as in has no separate bedroom and sitting/dining room and/or shares a bathroom then it is illegal and the fact that it is not registered whether it is a legal flat/apartment means the landlord is breaking the law.

really ? My sister lived in a bedsit where the landlord was a similar chancer

That breed of landlord here is, happily, a dying breed.

Bedsits have been illegal for a few months now. Some landlords probably just reclassify their multiple bedsit flea-pits as shared houses to get around the law.

• Advertisement

Thank all, ring ptrb first tomorow, den lodge complaint. I hav referances from other landlords in ireland wich will help my problem.

Angry and upset:(:(:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Could someone give this woman a basic step-by-step guide what to do?
    Can you clarify what was in your studio? Was there a bathroom?

Prtb for illegal eviction, unregistered tenancy, unauthorised entry etc.
    Local authority for illegal bedsit

endacl wrote: »
    That breed of landlord here is, happily, a dying breed.

seems to be a thing with bedsit owners, if op was my younger sister he would be sorry hate that sort of behaviour towards women or naive people in general

snubbleste wrote: »
    Prtb will advise that re the illegal bedsit. If I were here with little English, I know I'd prefer that. Somebody in person to take on what was relevant to them, and explain in person who is responsible for the rest.

fridge,cooker,micro,tea,bed all one room where I slept, own bathroom down hall. No sit room or seperate kichen

well she needs to open a dispute on the prtb website,ring treshold also, write down when the landlord entered illegally and whatever else he did.

well she needs to open a dispute on the prtb website,ring treshold also, write down when the landlord entered illegally and whatever else he did.

making list now, so angry

making list now, so angry
    You should be. I'm angry reading about it.

What cud happen landlord if i report?

If what you say is accepted as true, and he is found responsible - big fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

That sounds pretty awful.

Als je help nodig hebt met vertaling stuur me maar een PM en dan zal ik proberen te helpen.

wexie wrote: »
    That sounds pretty awful.

Als je help nodig hebt met vertaling stuur me maar een PM en dan zal ik proberen te helpen.

Ik zou fijn moeten zijn. Ik gebruik google voor iets wat ik niet weet.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Hi OP, sorry you've been treated so badly. You should contact threshold as they offer free advice to tenants. You can contact them by phone, or if you are in Galway, Cork or Dublin make an appointment/drop into one of their offices' to speak to one of their advisors (this might be easier for you if english isn't your first language). Their details are here http://www.threshold.ie/about/services/adviceadvocacy.html#dublincentre
    Good luck!

He can be fined up to 10,000 euro for the illegal eviction.

He can be told to pay your deposit back.

He can be fined for illegally entering your home, I'm not sure how much.

He can be fined for not registering, up to 3,000 euro if I remember correctly.

He can be made to pay you compensation on top of all of that.

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    He can be fined up to 10,000 euro for the illegal eviction.

He can be told to pay your deposit back.

He can be fined for illegally entering your home, I'm not sure how much.

He can be fined for not registering, up to 3,000 euro if I remember correctly.

He can be made to pay you compensation on top of all of that.
    That fourth one, I'd imagine, would be a multiple. I'm sure there's more than one bedsit in the building.

endacl wrote: »
    That fourth one, I'd imagine, would be a multiple. I'm sure there's more than one bedsit in the building.

It depends on whether or not he can swing it as a rent a room in a shared house type thing. In that instance, it'd be considered to be one unregistered property, IF he can swing that.

Either way, huge fines/penalties for the landlord.

OP, please don't let this drop. Not all landlords are scumbags like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    It depends on whether or not he can swing it as a rent a room in a shared house type thing. In that instance, it'd be considered to be one unregistered property, IF he can swing that.

Either way, huge fines/penalties for the landlord.

OP, please don't let this drop. Not all landlords are scumbags like that.

Are these fines etc. from the PRTB or such a body?

Would the Revenue not also take an interest in a landlord like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

OP - I would report the bully of a landlord to Revenue. Call them tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

OP: The normal situation in Ireland is that you'd have a registered tenancy and rent is usually paid monthly, not weekly.

In my experience of renting here, you normally also pay rent by electronic transfer (usually standing order) from your bank account each month directly into the landlord's or management agency's account.

I have rented and absolutely never met the landlord until the day we were moving out. They've a right to inspect the property but only by reasonable prior arrangement. When you are renting you are absolutely entitled to 'peaceful enjoyment' of the property which is your home during the lease.

Paying by cash is pretty unusual these days.

Make sure you pursue it and get your money back!

The rest of us have to comply with the law and account for every cent in our tax returns. I don't see why this guy shouldn't do the same.

You should have a chat with Threshold, they're the national tenants' rights organisation. They would be able to give you a lot of practical help and advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

I am genuinely saddened to read the OP. It is sickening some landlords are still like this. It happened with my girlfriend and her housemates in college a few years back. Good luck with your case OP. Hope it ends well for you

Advertisement