Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord problem

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 canyoudigit

Thank you all. Every bedsit house in area not registered and there is round 30 or 40 of theml.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Thank you all. Every bedsit house in area not registered and there is round 30 or 40 of theml.

30-40 bed sits?

So, going by what Esoteric posted, the landlord could be hit with a fine of €90000 - €120000?

He might behave better in future...

;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hi canyoudigit. Please call threshold this morning and explain to them the situation. They are a group who specifically deal with tenancy issues like yours.

Please see this link
    http://www.threshold.ie/advice/ending-a-tenancy/illegal-eviction/
    Call 1890 334 334

keep receipts for all accommodation costs you incur and related expenses.

If you need any help feel free to PM me or post here

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

Some people, not only landlords think that immigrants are stupid only because their English is not great. Don't give up OP. Fight for your deposit, compensation and honour. Send him to the black hole.
    I met one employer like this. Second job in Ireland, average English, he said he won't register me with revenue. He told me that being a black market slave will leave me with more money. One day after I registered case with social welfare employer started calling me and begging for my details to register me and avoid penalty.

So fight fight and fight again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

problem with my landlord. He very invasive of privacy. I live in small studio bedsit. He will knock on door whenever he likes collect weeks rent and when tell him to call back another time he will keep knocking until I answer the door or enter himself. I told him to pick a 1 day when to call and giv 24 hours notice but said couldn't do this as of hours he works himself. He in my room another time empty the electric of money and he never told me of this.

I went angry with him today and told me to pack bags and I said no, he brought brother or friend with him and made me pack all my stuff and leave. I am now in friends house and when leaving asked him for deposit and told me to **** off.

I am angry and upset, I am female and dutch and noticed all irish people and males in house. I think they pay rent bank or muntly as he not hit there door.

I saw accomadation not register with ptrb on site as address not listed. Shud contact them? So So Angry :(:mad: Bedsits illegal? I work and pay rent on time. (english not so good)

If your living in Cork pm me and I'll show you where the threshold office is. I'm a owner occupier at the moment and used to be a full landlord and I'm sick of hearing about people like this. I'm embarrassed to be known as a landlord because of people like this, from what you've written here you will win this case.

The actions you should take are;
    1. Write down everything you can think of immediately, add dates and time if you possibly have them - did you ever email/Facebook friends complaining about this? print those messages as they are proof these things happened at the time you said they happened.
    2. Read the Residential Tenancies Act this writes down what the Landlord and you must do in a tenancy situation.
    3. This is the Government Guideline to Housing Standards, it will show you what is allowed and not allowed for accomodation ie bedsits are illegal in Ireland since January this year. This link is the actual law called the S.I. No. 534/2008 — Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 2008 but the first link is explained more clearly. Contact the local County or City Council if your accomodation failed to meet those standards
    4. Next contact Threshold for advice, they deal with these situations a lot so they know what to do.
    5. Threshold will probably advise you to take a PRTB dispute - see here for the PRTB dispute process. It'll be a good idea to look around the PRTB website generally as it gives advice on deposits being returned.
      I would ask Threshold about submitting information to the Revenue about possible undeclared income from a rental property. They must have done this before as well.

I saw accomadation not register with ptrb on site as address not listed. - The PRTB is very slow to update that list so the LL may be registered - I doubt it but there is a very small chance they are actually registered. If they aren't and you have proof of paying rent then the LL is in trouble, they accepted rent for an unregistered tenancy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I saw accomadation not register with ptrb on site as address not listed. - The PRTB is very slow to update that list so the LL may be registered - I doubt it but there is a very small chance they are actually registered. If they aren't and you have proof of paying rent then the LL is in trouble, they accepted rent for an unregistered tenancy.

would the PRTB register any non-compliant property?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Makes me sick that we still have landlords like this in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

foggy_lad wrote: »
    would the PRTB register any non-compliant property?

Good point, we're dragging the topic off course a bit but are the PRTB and the councils plus property registed automatically cross indexed? It'd catch a lot of the dodgy landlords that way

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

problem with my landlord. He very invasive of privacy. I live in small studio bedsit. He will knock on door whenever he likes collect weeks rent and when tell him to call back another time he will keep knocking until I answer the door or enter himself. I told him to pick a 1 day when to call and giv 24 hours notice but said couldn't do this as of hours he works himself. He in my room another time empty the electric of money and he never told me of this.

I went angry with him today and told me to pack bags and I said no, he brought brother or friend with him and made me pack all my stuff and leave. I am now in friends house and when leaving asked him for deposit and told me to **** off.

I am angry and upset, I am female and dutch and noticed all irish people and males in house. I think they pay rent bank or muntly as he not hit there door.

I saw accomadation not register with ptrb on site as address not listed. Shud contact them? So So Angry :(:mad: Bedsits illegal? I work and pay rent on time. (english not so good)

Don't leave when eviction time comes because he has no legal right to get you out using these means.

making list now, so angry

Canyoudigit If he is not registered with ptrb he may not be tax compliant. Notify the tax office and he may face a fine or jail sentence if he is not. Bottom line there's enough crooked landlords in this country don't stand for any of their crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    He can be fined up to 10,000 euro for the illegal eviction. He can be told to pay your deposit back. He can be fined for illegally entering your home, I'm not sure how much. He can be fined for not registering, up to 3,000 euro if I remember correctly. He can be made to pay you compensation on top of all of that.

Regarding the 3rd item on the list entering the property without prior notice he could be charged/fined for every instance of this as a tenant is entitled to peaceful occupation of the premises. In my last tenancy my landlord only visited the dwelling once during my tenancy and that was to check the fire alarms.
    wexie wrote: »
    Could the Revenue not also take an interest in a landlord like this?
    steddyeddy wrote: »
    Canyoudigit If he is not registered with ptrb he may not be tax compliant. Notify the tax office and he may face a fine or jail sentence if he is not. Bottom line there's enough crooked landlords in this country don't stand for any of their crap.

If the tenancy is not registered and or the landlord is not registered for tax reasons then revenue and or the gardai would be very interested in this. Again if there is multiple tenants he could be charged/fined for each tenant.

lycan238 wrote: »
    Regarding the 3rd item on the list entering the property without prior notice he could be charged/fined for every instance of this as a tenant is entitled to peaceful occupation of the premises. In my last tenancy my landlord only visited the dwelling once during my tenancy and that was to check the fire alarms.

If the tenancy is not registered and or the landlord is not registered for tax reasons then revenue and or the gardai would be very interested in this. Again if there is multiple tenants he could be charged/fined for each tenant.

Indeed as I said before I know people involved in housing vunerable people and the amount of crooked landlords like this is staggering. The default position for dealing like this landlords is a zero tolerance report to the revenue policy.

Marcin_diy wrote: »
    Some people, not only landlords think that immigrants are stupid only because their English is not great. Don't give up OP. Fight for your deposit, compensation and honour. Send him to the black hole.
    I met one employer like this. Second job in Ireland, average English, he said he won't register me with revenue. He told me that being a black market slave will leave me with more money. One day after I registered case with social welfare employer started calling me and begging for my details to register me and avoid penalty.

So fight fight and fight again.

Well done Marcin! Crooks never prosper when people stand up to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Well done Marcin! Crooks never prosper when people stand up to them.

Well.... Unless they are the kind that get voted for....

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I was sorry to read about the problems you have had with your landlord.
    From what you have told us it sounds like this landlord has a number of properties and he may not have registered them with the prtb.
    Also I am sure that revenue may not be aware of all his income from these.

If you ring Revenue (tax office) about this landlord and let them know what properties he owns they may investigate him.
    Revenue can ask to see his accounts/ bank statements ect going back over the previous 6 years.
    If he has not paid tax he will get fined and have to pay interest on back taxes.
    Also if revenue do an audit/investigation on him they will keep a close eye on him going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

what a banker !!

Advertisement